Tree top flyer

The music, is that Stephen Stills? 

Indeed, "Treetop Flyer" from Stills Alone

what kind of plane is this dude in??? 

I'm thinking an RV-4

Smooth thumbup.gif ...

Cheers, IFG

Hi, Chico² - While making no claims to being an expert on this stuff, I'll stick with the RV-4 tongue.gif . I've sat in the back of a few of them, and that's pretty much what it looks like. The airframe in the video is not the same one featured on Mr. Niedermeyer’s home page (note no "roll bar"?).

Re: "fly like that often enough and you'll drag a wingtip sooner or later!" - No doubt, as has been shown by other limit-pushers (Art Scholl or Paul Mantz come to mind, or more aptly, the Blue Angel in YYZ about 40 years ago); but part of their legacy is some pretty inspiring flying. Don't know who the pilot in that video is, but he seems to keep a pretty good line thru' all those turns. I guess the challenge is for the rest of us not to confuse our talents with theirs, and "try this at home" (like I've done once or twice on motorcycles while 'inspired' by better riders - fortunately, dismounting a bike before coming to a full stop is generally less catastrophic than cartwheeling an airplane wink.gif ).

Cheers, IFG beer_mug.gif

Guest rattler

http://www.halcyon.com/carln/

Scroll down This is the actual RV-* in the movie.

B

N83JD is Assigned

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 80936 Type Registration Individual

Manufacturer Name DUERINGER JOHN W Certificate Issue Date 09/19/2003

Model RV8 Status Valid

Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating

Pending Number Change None Dealer No

Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 52653315

MFR Year 2001 Fractional Owner NO

FAA Web site to check registration number for aircraft type.

RV8 for sale note what appears to be a roll bar between the pilot and the passenger but def not the one shown in the video, much lower and would actually seem to be a brace for the pilot's seat..

better picture

[You're right, Rattler, a little dislexia reading your link cool26.gif]. N83JD is not the aircraft in the video. This clip has been floating around the 'net, and is on several sites besides Mr. Niedermeyer’s. For those still confused on this point of spotter's trivia, note Kip's points of difference. Look at N83JD and watch the video whistling.gif:

- Video: Roll-bar

- N83JD: No roll-bar (just a crossbar athwart as on most tandem canopied airframes)

- Video: 1-piece canopy/windscreen

- N83JD: 2-piece

- Video: steam-driven panel

- N83JD: mix of more modern avionics, instruments differently placed

- Video: RV-4

- N83JD: RV-8

Cheers, IFG beer_mug.gif

Well I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm not so sure it matters a hoot what kind of flippin' airplane it was tongue.gif , or who the fella flyin' it was... ph34r.gif it looked like a mighty fine way to see the countryside for a spell... thumbs_up.gif I'm sure whoever it was thoroughly enjoyed that ride, and it was awful damned decent of the man to share it via video!

Quite a treat! smile.gif

If I could do that in any airplane I wanted....

I think I might pick a Stearman icon_question.gif

Cheers,

Tell me gents... if you could pick any airplane to do that same run the fella in the vid. did... what would it be? ? ? ?  smile.gif

Waco Taperwing. I'd also love to see it done in a Staggerwing, but filmed from the outside to see that classic bird do its' thing.

Archived