Darned Geese

J.O.

Don't those crazy birds need oxygen? blink.gif From the FAA's preliminary incident reports for Nov 3rd...

IDENTIFICATION

Regis#: UPS28 Make/Model: B757 Description: B-757

Date: 11/03/2005 Time: 2325

Event Type: Incident

Highest Injury: None

Mid Air: N

Missing: N

Damage: Unknown

City: COLORADO SPRINGS State: CO Country: US

DESCRIPTION

ACFT, UPS28, A B757, ENROUTE FROM SDF TO MHR, STRUCK A GOOSE AT FL360.

ACFT DESCENDED TO FL280, DUE TO THE WINDSHIELD BEING CRACKED AND CONTINUED ON TO DESTINATION. PILOT DID NOT DECLARE AN EMERGENCY.

FAA Report Scroll down to the third report.

Don't those crazy birds need oxygen?  blink.gif

Ask a question... smile.gif

...and after googling and reading about avian flight physiology I sit in awe of those high flying creatures.

How High Birds Fly

BirdNote™

How High Birds Fly, Part II

Written by Frances Wood

Right now a flock of Bar-headed Geese could be flying over Mt. Everest. These champions of high-altitude migration leave their nesting grounds in Tibet and scale the Himalayan range on their way to wintering grounds in the lowlands of India. With the help of tailwinds, they can cover the thousand-mile trip in a single day.

How do these gray-bodied, five-pound geese with zebra-striped heads breathe at such high altitudes, since pilots and many mountain climbers need oxygen at half that altitude? Like other birds, the geese have a unique breathing structure adapted to extract oxygen from thin air, even at 30,000 feet. After inhaled air passes through the lungs, it is temporarily stored in several sacs, then circulated back through the lungs extracting still more oxygen.

The Bar-headed Geese also have a special type of hemoglobin, which helps their bodies absorb oxygen quickly at high altitudes.

Scientists are studying the physiology of these high-flying Bar-headed Geese to look for ways to help people cope with altitude and respiratory diseases.

The following link is fascinating reading if you scroll down a bit, especially to Mechanics of Wing Design.

Bird Flight

I would guess that the answer to your question is that humans are very inefficient oxygenators at altitude and I would hazard a guess that if geese could ask similar questions one might be, "Don't those crazy humans need oxygen?" tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

ccairspace

Guest rattler

Some interesting web sites re what is or can be done about birds around airports.

Transport Canada Bird Site

Hawkeye Canada Site - Bird control firm

ICAO Site talking about bird control

The reality of course, is that little can be done about migratory birds (flight paths) but some work can be done to reduce the risk directly around airports. One of the problems is where we have traditionaly built our aiports. CYVR is a good / bad example of an airport that will never be "bird safe" due to it's location.

Some interesting web sites re what is or can be done about birds around airports.

Transport Canada Bird Site

Hawkeye Canada Site - Bird control firm

ICAO Site talking about bird control

The reality of course, is that little can be done about migratory birds (flight paths) but some work can be done to reduce the risk directly around airports. One of the problems is where we have traditionaly built our aiports. CYVR is a good / bad example of an airport that will never be "bird safe" due to it's location.

Well, if the really bad bird flu reaches us, there are going to be geese falling out of the sky. That's one way to deal with the current goose over-population. Either that, or some chef figures out a way to make the Canada goose delectable and cooks it tongue.gif

I don't recall the details of the specific incident under discussion but during a meeting several yrs ago, reviewing recent aircraft incidents with engineering folk, an incident came up for discussion in which we sustained signifcant damage because of a known bird hazard (nesting nearby the runway).

Being new and dumb and .... I asked the question - "If this was a known hazard then why wasn't there some kind of ATC advisory"

Without missing a beat one of the guys responded with - "Why? What good would dat do? De birds - dey don't wear headsets"

I don't speak up in meetings so much anymore.

(Even though I'm secretly certain that a golf course or 2 or 3 and driving range on every airfield would go a long way to solving the nesting problem)

(Even though I'm secretly certain that a golf course or 2 or 3 and driving range on every airfield would go a long way to solving the nesting problem)

Absolutely! We had a nice golf course beside the runway at CFB Baden-Sollingen. With CF-104's blasting off, it was a very noisy round of golf! Didn't see many birds, either.

Archived