An Open Question for 2004

Kip Powick

This is an open question and by that I mean anyone may reply, it is not restricted to just pilots. AMEs, Gate Agents, Travel Consultants, Rampies, Customers…anyone…feel free to answer.

A comment was made in a thread last year, (December 2003), that many of our air carriers in Canada have some very low time, and possibly young Captains, and it got me thinking about the role of a Captain. Not the fact that he/she may be young or have less “time in” than the older crowd, but what do people think any Captain’s primary and secondary responsibilities are when carrying out his/her duties ?

As I said, you don’t have to be a pilot to have an opinion about what you perceive as a “good” Captain. Fire away………(H)

A good Captain, is someone who utilizes ALL available resources in the decision making process, thus preventing him/her from relying soley on their skill.

Of course picking up the bar tab is the best way to make the "Good" Captians list :D

Brett

I think that the opinion is that the more time in you have, the more experience you have.

Having said that, there will always be the situation that arises that hasn't been seen before. That is where the experience comes in. For example, the Gimli incident. The captain was credited for being a glider pilot in getting the aircraft safely down.

As well, it is my view that lack of experience is a factor in the accidents that occur with new aircraft types. Unfamiliarity with systems and flight characteristics may lead to some shortfalls in dealing with emergencies. For example, the fuel problem with the aircraft that deadsticked into the Azores.

After these incidences happen, that knowledge is shared with the rest of the community, hopefully for the betterment of all.

As well, when you are looking at a captain, it is like the leader of a country or company. You hope that is is someone with enough experiences to have the knowledge to improvise in an emergency situation, or, through previous experiences, the knowledge to not get into an emergency situation in the first place.

Such is what happened in YFC. IMHO that approach should have been abandoned earlier, but who am I to say as I wasn't there at the time, and I'm not a pilot, just an observer who read alot of info and has an amateur opinion.

I've not mentioned airlines on purpose, even though we all know the incidences, to protect the innocent.

Iceman

Guest BigSkyGuy

A captain is a manager. His ability to manage and direct his crew is the cornerstone to the effectiveness of the flight/mission. Experience is certainly important but a pilot with relatively less experience but stronger CRM skills would get my vote any day of the week. If you had a young inexperienced captain with the ability to draw on the experience of the guy in the other seat with 10,000 hrs on type, the crew would function just fine.

A captain is a manager. His ability to manage and direct his crew is the cornerstone to the effectiveness of the flight/mission

Well said, and perhaps one of the most important points I am personally looking for is buried in your answer but no one has come out and directly specified that trait.

I believe it is one of the most important functions of a Captain but it seems like it tends to be glossed over and seldom discussed by many...for some reason.

Any comments??

exactly Don!

We used to talk (us F/O's) about who we would rather work with; the guy with superb "hands and feet" and zero people skills or the mediocre/average lever-puller with top notch people-mamagement skills?

Of course number 2 won every time.

(but you notice you STILL need average flying skills - since the guys with great people-management skill and zero flying ability were also not very popular - and sometimes not alive either)

Chico

Happy'04 y'all

There is one quality that NOONE has alluded to and I find it very strange...but then again I was told very early in my commercial career that it "wasn't done that way in the airline industry"...mainly because of some individuls having rather large egos.

I've danced around the subject and seeing I have never had the AC Captain's "Charm Schoool" course I can not ascertain whether it was part of the course or not. If there are a few more replies, perhaps someone will hit my point...if not I'll wade in. :>

Well Kip,after working as a Ramp Rat for almost 30 years,my best experiences when the poo was hitting the fan was with the crusty old guy.(Male,lots of hours)They seem to have a calming effect on you when on numerous times everyone was in a panic.As long as you kept him in the loop 99% of the time,he would back you up if a flight was not gonna make sked.Management on the other hand didn't even want you to talk to the skipper.Sorry ladies there just wasn't many of you around back then,or really even now.The Captain's role has not changed,he's the boss.I see to many young skippers with a real ego problem.I still feel you have to earn respect,and not just with a piece of paper.In the old days 4 stripes meant something.

What I think your looking for is humility. Someone who is humble enough to think a problem thru using his/her own experence, yet is willing to utilize all the experence around him/her to find a solution to the problem. tlo

Thank you, excellent answers and it is gratifying that many who answered were NOT flight Crew. Gives one perspective from outside that aircraft. I have always been of the opinion that the difference between a “Ramp Rat” and a “Pilot” was, in many cases, “opportunity”.

Visualize a wheel with many spokes. In days gone past, the “pilot” was in the center, he was the hub, and all those on the end of the spokes worked for him. Many moons ago we had an interesting lecturer from AA who showed us how that concept had changed.

Now in the center of the wheel, the hub was the…….. customer. The “Pilot” was relegated to being just at the end of one of the spokes….. and as much as that restructuring of the wheel bruises a lot of egos…..it is very true. No customers = no airline…………. but I digress…

The trait I am looking for probably applies more to the two bodies up front. Any pilots with any opinions about a trait you look for in a Captain????

I don't really have a problem with younger flight crews, it's basically a matter of fewer pilots joining the airlines after retiring from the military and more comming straight out of school.

But, I am a little spooked by airlines who will basically hire anyone who will put up the retention deposit.

WINDSHEAR nailed it…. Read his post

It is also my humble opinion that, in addition to what many of you have written, one of the most important traits of a Captain is his tactful ability to engage in pertinent guidance with his F/O and what I mean by that statement is his ability to teach/instruct his F/O during their “partnered mission”. I don’t believe anyone, other than WINDSHEAR has come right out and stated that is a desired quality of a Captain. Certainly he is a “manager” but he should also be a “teacher”……… at the right times.

“Oh well, naturally we all do that,” some will say, but based on my experience and conversations…it is just not true…….in many cases.

Let me explain…I was very fortunate when I moved over to CP and over to the T-Rex, that I was partnered with very, very experienced T-Rex drivers, the majority of whom came from the East coast and had more knowledge about the T-Rex and what could be done with the aircraft than the average T-Rex driver.

I remember on my first “revenue flight” asking the Captain if he would bend my ear and give me suggestions regarding what I could do to improve upon my skill with the aircraft and as well perhaps he could impart some technical knowledge.

He was shocked at my request, no one had asked him to do that for eons and apparently a years earlier he had made a few suggestions to a “green” T-Rex driver and had been told to politely “F*** O**” by the young guy who stated that he was qualified and had passed his SIMs and Route checks and he certainly didn’t need any advice from some old fart on how to fly the aircraft. An isolated case….no…How many Captains turn to their F/O and tactfully suggest that if he/she did this or that it would make their life a lot easier?? I don’t mean continually harp at the poor soul but rather, at the right time, pass on some of your expertise. I have flown with many fellows, I have occupied the jump seats on many an aircraft, and have seen the Captain just let the F/O do his thing and I know that the Captain wanted to suggest a better way, but he did not, or in some cases I assume he just let the F/O stumble along, the F/O wasn’t being dangerous but he could have learned something if (A) he asked, (B) the Captain had provided a few pointers.

At this point I would like to interject that I am/ was ex-Mil and those that have gone down that road will remember that on any aircraft, that involved two pilots, there was always teaching going on at some point during the flight, that was part of the Captains job and every F/O who wanted to make his way to the coveted position of Aircraft Commander drew heavily from the experienced people he flew with.

I would also like to state that there are innumerable times where the F/O has more experience on type, and/or perhaps more “logged time”, than the Captain but the dialogue still works …even from the right seat to the left seat. Certainly it takes tact to suggest to a peer, especially if he has the four stripes, that there is a better way.

If as a Captain, you do not teach/assist/help/guide your F/O during some facet of the flight, you, in my opinion are remiss in your duty as the Captain…. It’s a bad day when you don’t learn something during every flight….no matter which seat you occupy.

Just my opinion.

Archived