AC DC-9 CF-TLT's Last Ride

Guest Ram_Man

I've been lurking on this forum for a number of years, sometimes smiling and laughing, and other times frowning and steaming..... Now I've got to get something off my chest.

On Thursday Air Canada donated one of its' DC-9's, CF-TLT, Fin 719, to the Aviation Centre of Excellence at Confederation College here in Thunder Bay (YQT).

A welcome gesture, and I’m sure it was certainly appreciated by all those involved....... Or so I think.

We as Air Canada employees, know company moral is at an all time low. If you ask the base staff at YQT if they were informed of the donation, advised of its’ arrival, asked to participate in, or at the very least be present during the presentation ceremony? The answer is No! We found out purely by accident, the day of its’ arrival. Apparently Employee Communications knew and posted a paragraph in “The Daily” on the day of the presentation.

Was the news media made aware? No I think not! Considering all the bad press, and our terrible reputation in the public’s eye, would it not have been our chance to shine and be proud? God forgive me, but I’m sure if the donation had been made by WestJet, nothing short of a Hollywood movie production would have taken place. After all it was only an old DC-9 that we pulled out of mothballs in the Mojave Desert...... It’s worth how much...... At a time when our company is in CCAA? Our local TV news ( CKPR 2-5/Dougall Media) managed a 5 second clip at the end of its’ segment on the Grand Opening of the Aviation Centre. It went something like: “Air Canada donated a DC-9.” It even sounded dubbed in as an after thought. Not to be outdone our local newspaper The Chronicle Journal managed about 6 lines of text, and the radio news as far as I know didn’t mention it at all. It seems Derek Burney of CAE fame, was the guest of honour (his picture making the newspaper front page), and even having the street entering the new Aviation Centre named after him.

On her arrival, the low, wheels up, full length of the runway pass, was a sight to behold. Most likely never to be seen again, and something I’ll never forget. You see, at age 10 this was the first aircraft I ever flew on. The very first “Fam” flight (promoting new DC-9 service bewteen YQT and YYZ) over and around Fort William, which of course is now Thunder Bay. At age 19 and just starting my career with Air Canada, the first aircraft I loaded baggage on. At age 20, while attending the Aircraft Maintenance Program at Confederation College, the first commercial aircraft that I had the privilege of helping the base mechanic work on. Then at age 22 the first aircraft that I worked as a Load Agent. Kudos to the Captain and First Officer, I’m truly sorry I didn’t get your names.

I’m sure there are many other YQT employees who would have been proud to at least be present at the presentation ceremony. I myself was a bit luckier, being College Alumni, I was invited, but chose not to attend due to work commitments. Had I known that Air Canada was to present the aircraft I surely would have made arrangements to attend.

Air Canada Media Relations, and Management responsible for Thunder Bay, you missed the boat....... Err...... Plane...... Again!

Patricia Lang College President, and Rick Potter (formerly of Nav Canada), thanks for giving Air Canada in Thunder Bay a moment in the limelight...... Not!

The Thunder Bay News media speaks for itself...... I guess we should expect no more.

Now that I’ve got that off my chest, I’ll apologize for being so long winded and if any one is interested they can check out my modest tribute to CF-TLT on arrival at her new home. Three thumbnails linking to larger photos:

Cheers,

Tom

CSA Weight & Balance YQT

Tom,

A very legitimate beef but unfortunately nothing will be done about it because nothing can be done. The parade has rolled past. I agree whole-heartedly that the AC PR people really dropped the ball on this one, not only for you folks out there in QT, but also as a feather in the cap of AC et al.

The really sad thing about the AC PR department is that they spend 90% of their time fending off many unwarranted attacks from all quarters, concerning all things, and the good things that many of the AC folks do are left on the back burner. As well, the public press seems to take delight in knocking AC and seldom mentions any of the great things the employees have done, or are doing, whether it be at work or on their off duty time.

Never flew the DC-9 but as I understand it the aircraft, much like the older versions of the T-Rex (737) was an aircraft that still needed “piloting skill” to do a good job. Thanks for the photos.

Kip

Donating an aircraft to a college is a very kind thing to do - there's no doubt about it. It would have been nice to see Air Canada get some coverage for it, but personally I don't see the need for it. I don't see the need for Westjet to get coverage for donating an aircraft either.

It's just something that slips underneath the radar screen that is the media.

You should take pride in the fact that your airline was kind enough to donate this aircraft to the college, as will Westjet employees for their donation. Take pride in that and not the fact that the media didn't make this its top news story.

How ironic, just got this on Canada Newswire. WestJet donates B-737. I'm sure their PR department made it a point to see the news media was advised.

How ironic. Just got this Email news update about an hour ago.

http://www.newswire.ca/releases/September2003/29/c5883.html

I'm sure that WestJet's PR people made it a point to see that all news media were advised. Matter of fact, knowing how our local media treats Air Canada, I'm sure it will be all over the local TV and media rags tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tom

I think you missed the point...........With all the crap AC takes in the print and TV media, it would be kind of a morale booster for the troops to get some good PR.

Take pride..I agree, but how many AC employees didn't even know about it.

You can bet your bottom dollar if one disgruntled passenger goes to the press, it will be headline news. Do you not remember the woman that complained that her vacation in Cuba was ruined because of a tropical storm and she blamed AC for taking her there....Big News and almost 2 columns of print.

Suggest you check out Ram_Man 's post below

Hey, I don't control the news. Why your company failed to notify the employees is beyond me.

There hasn't been an official statement internally here at Westjet, yet, about our donation either - but its not like its a secret with a plane parked out on the ramp. :)

You make your post here sound as though Westjet is wrong in advising the media. You said it yourself that Air Canada was at least given recognition for their donation, so don't be so quick to jump on a news update that was nothing more than that: a news update.

Hey Gang,

Don't get me wrong. My dig wasn't at WesJet. I applaud their proactive stance. My beef is with Air Canada's Media realations, our management team and our local press here in YQT. Just thought I'd post my feelings hoping that someone...... maybe..... in Air Canada's management team that cares, peruses this forum. Naw...... maybe not. LOL

Cheers

Tom

Hey Gang,

Don't get me wrong. My dig wasn't at WesJet. I applaud their proactive stance. My beef is with Air Canada's Media realations, our management team and our local press here in YQT. Just thought I'd post my feelings hoping that someone...... maybe..... in Air Canada's management team that cares, peruses this forum. Naw...... maybe not. LOL

Cheers

Tom

Well, at least the donation was mentioned in the paper.... It's a great addition for a great faculty.

College reaches major aviation milestone

By Cathi Arola - The Chronicle-Journal

September 27, 2003

Confederation College reached a milestone yesterday with the official opening of the Aviation Centre of Excellence (ACE).

The centre’s largest hangar — with glowing, freshly painted white floors and massive sliding doors facing Thunder Bay International Airport’s main runway — hosted more than 100 project partners, regional industry leaders, local supporters and dignitaries for a formal celebration.

One of the highlights of the launch was Air Canada’s donation of a DC-9 aircraft that now displays the college’s logo. An Air Canada representative presented the aircraft’s log book to college president Patricia Lang.

“Railways opened the west, but aviation is what’s opening the north,” said Derek Burney, national campaign chairman for the centre.

The $17-million, 60,000 square-foot education centre began construction earlier this year. The new facility — an addition to the program’s other aviation training facility located at the airport — will accommodate students enrolled in flight, maintenance, manufacturing and avionics.

The learning space offers labs, workshops, classroom space and two modern aircraft hangars. The maintenance sector has eight airplanes and four helicopters while the flight training works with 14 aircraft.

Aerospace is an area of excellence for Canada and one of the few sectors in which the country is a global leader, and the centre’s aviation contributions will place Thunder Bay at the centre of this leadership, Burney said.

“The industry is successful today, but it’s only to be successful tomorrow if we have people do the kind of work the industry needs.”

Jeeezzzzzzzz...

When will it ever stop? It all sounds like a kids's argument... "My dad is stronger than your dad, lalalalalala!

Give it up and move on! Don't we have anything more constructive to do?

Archived