Kavafian TV | WJ Finance | Board Surf

Guest Nova Zemlya

Guest Nova Zemlya

Jacques Kavafian Tells It Like It Is

Kudos, Jacques!!!!

Report On Bidness TV: Just a little before 1/4

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N30C12AF5

Not to mention, Jazz should be running a CRJ from YYC to Dawson Creek for the benefit of Encana.

In Other News

Westjet to raise $125 million by issuing new shares:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X11C21AF5

(Note: This will undoubtedly reduce the value of employee holdings- Sorry for the repeat posting)

David Bonderman Steps Down From Danbury Board:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030922/225243_1.html

Brian Gibson, Senior Vice-President Active Equities, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and a member of WestJet's Board of Directors since 1997, has stepped down as a member of WestJet's Board effective immediately.

http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=westjet+board+ontario+teachers&adv=1&n=10

:[

NZ

Komrade Francis,

In the my nearly 8 years at WestJet, I have been through an IPO, 2 stock splits, and 3 equity financings. All of them were predicted to end in disaster for shareholders and employees by people like you.

If past experience is any indication of how this one will go, then may I just say "Bring it on".

And oh yeah, Power to the people, man!

Guest Nova Zemlya

Ok for you, but everyone else suffers. This is no different than the position of priviledge carved out by senior members of pilots associations acting as unions in organized labour.

Bully for you.

The harder they come, the harder they fall. What if now Ontario Teachers' is obliged to sell its holding in WJ, because it sees a major opportunity in the rebuilding of the mothercorp?

NZ

Everyone else suffers? Like who? Every employee at WestJet has the opportunity to paticipate in WJ's growth.

I sincerely doubt the teachers would sell their holding in WestJet to invest in AC for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that they are contractualy obligated to buy $100 million in WJ stock at WestJets discretion. That doesn't sound like a precurser to dumping their stock in a successful company.

I believe the teachers have made their position clear on an investment in AC.

Guest Nova Zemlya

First of all, I am NOT an employee of Air Canada. The airline I work for grew 7.8% over last year, despite the massive restrictions placed on it by its owner, AC and having basically chopped out half the fleet.

I started trading this April 1st when I took my money out of my pension fund just prior to bankruptcy and put it into my own locked-in direct trading account, and I am up 30% since then without having to depend on my boss deciding what to do with my money. If you had to self-manage your money and take it away from the grubby hands of your boss, could you say that you would get the same results?

And you can bet your @ss that if I were to invest in the airline industry in Canada, then WJA is a glowing shorting opportunity. There is just too much going on in the way of value investment rather than speculating on the bubble created around Wetjest.

imo, it will be the employees at WJ that will lose out in the end. Not the "originals" mind you, but every new employee coming on line realizing they will never get beyond that door and earn the same as the principals. (funny how originals come up in this context-no different the mothercorp unions, hey?)

Short interest ratio in Wetjest is approx. 7:1, one of the highest on the TSX. The only people holding short interest in WJA are probably WJA pricipal investors themselves as a hedge against the amount of money they are currently borrowing. The strategy of carefully building markets has clearly changed, and now they are attempting market share. I take this as a bad sign.

If people like Brian Gibson winds up on a "dream team" board at AC, then Wetjests' game is up. Gibson, Bonderman, Schwartz, hey they all want in. And in the other corner, we have Klyde.

NZ

Guest Nova Zemlya

The only people enjoying anything out of the "growth" opportunity at Wetjest are the principal investors, nobody else.

If Teachers' want out, they sell their holdings, and cash out whenever they want, despite the rather small poison pill.

The time is ripe for that move.

NZ

Francis, if we listened to every two-bit, amateur investor/day trader like you we would have sold it all years ago.

As for:

"I started trading this April 1st when I took my money out of my pension fund just prior to bankruptcy and put it into my own locked-in direct trading account, and I am up 30% since then without having to depend on my boss deciding what to do with my money."

Bully for you, at this rate you'll be a millionaire soon and we won't have to read your constant bashing 'cuz you'll be retired, sucking mai-tai's on a tropical isle somewhere, here's wishing you good luck!!

Give it a rest chicken little.

Man, you are dreaming in technicolor.

How do you just sell 12.5 million shares without anybody noticing? At todays price, that's over $300 million. Not gonna happen.

As to your assertion that only the principal investors are reaping the benefits of WJ success, you couldn't be more wrong. More than 80% of WestJet people participate in the most generous employee share purchase plan I've ever heard of. Please, feel free to tell me that the bottom will fall out of the stock at any second. I've been reading that here for years. Heck, just a couple of months ago one of the posters here advised WestJet employees to sell everything at $16. Glad I didn't take his advise.

I know that the way things have unfolded at WJ don't fit well with your pro-union, eat the rich philosophy. It's not for everyone, but I like it.

Brian Gibson on the dream team at AC? Oy, you do more "reading in" than the Supreme Court of Canada. Mr. Gibson stepped down as he was required to by the Teachers. To me, that just sounds like good corporate governance to have a position like that rotated among managers at the teachers.

Your investment prowess leaves me in awe...really. I have to rely on a professional financial advisor, and when I talked to him today, he neglected to advise me to dump all my stock and short. He didn't even advise me to sell. Go figure.

Could he be in on the plot, d'ya think?

No the pyramid doesn't grow forever but I'm gonna go with it while I can. I keep hearing dire predictions for WJs future and how it's going to crash sooner or later. Well theres always a possibility but it seems to me AC is going to have more problems getting back on their feet than WJ will going forward.

And believe me I'm hoping that AC does manage to get themselves together. If they went under it would cause more problems for us here at WJ than it would give us opportunity.

When A/C (which btw if you work for jazz is the SAME THING!)emerges from bankruptcy protection whoever is put in charge will run the company like a buisness. That will put an end to routes like YXX that A/C has never made money on. A/C will then stick to money making routes making them healthier and smaller.

This in effect will make WJA stronger as this will mean more rational behavior from Milton and his gang.

Now i do not understand all the bitterness you have Nova. We try to earn a living at a job that we are happy doing just like you. I do not want to see Air Canada fail. It seems like you we be the happiest person on this world if every Westjetter lost money. That is just really sad.

We will keep doing what has made us successful and I wish your more ature co-workers good luck on finding thier company's success.

Chris

You show your ignorance of of which you speak.

If you had to self-manage your money and take it away from the grubby hands of your boss, could you say that you would get the same results?

After a year, the shares are in my grubby little hands and I am free to do with them as I wish. In my own trading account I am free to "let it ride", sell and invest in another opportunity, or take the cash.

Can the same be said of the pension funds at your or other Airlines? Is your contribution matched 100% by your employer?

The new hire at WestJet would have to see the share price drop by half for him to break-even never mind lose money.

Investing is a matter of personal limits and risk tolerances. The employees can accept as much or as little risk as they wish.

Guest leftbase

In past posts I've always been a WJ fan, still am in fact. And I think the profit-sharing concept is the wave of the future. But when I see someone smugly saying they're "up 50 percent every paycheque" I shudder a bit. Not every newhire with dollar signs in their eyes is going to be a paper millionaire, not indefinitely.

You at least seem to understand both the potential downside to "options-as-pay" as well as the lucrative benefits currently being enjoyed. Enjoy the ride!

Regards,

lb

You know Francis, it’s not the fact that all your posts are rambling, pedantic, condescending and incessantly negative that makes you so annoying. No, it’s the fact that every post is filled with misconceptions and lies.

Here are some examples just in this thread;

“Ok for you, but everyone else suffers. This is no different than the position of priviledge carved out by senior members of pilots associations acting as unions in organized labour.”

Wrong

“The only people enjoying anything out of the "growth" opportunity at Wetjest are the principal investors, nobody else.”

Very wrong

“imo, it will be the employees at WJ that will lose out in the end. Not the "originals" mind you, but every new employee coming on line realizing they will never get beyond that door and earn the same as the principals. (funny how originals come up in this context-no different the mothercorp unions, hey?)”

All wrong but especially the last sentence, totally wrong.

Your hatred for everything WestJet and your disdain for Clive are obvious, we all get it. It’s old news Francis, boring in fact. Why don’t you just move on. You’re tilting at windmills.

DR

Guest Nova Zemlya

Hey, Maverick-

Who is bashing here? You might not like what I have to say, but what of it? You tend to be more insulting and childish than most- care to change your style a little?

Klyde running a company which buys its A/C at the top of a bubble by diluting the stock, changing a strategy to market share instead of careful growth, and talking turboprops. All of this sounds very familiar.

I can tell you that many a pile-it at Wetjest will be seriously &%$@! if flying is given over to Hawk Air or proposed operators like Regco. And you can bet your boots that if it happens in the States, it will happen here.

And if your pay is tied to the vaguaries of the market controlled by larger interests than your own personal pay level, it is the smaller interest that loses out.

I don't advise anything but bring up subjects in the industry as they develop. My aim is to discourage any argument related to comparing WJ to ourselves, which is the reasoning for the tearing up of our contract.

I don't come here to specifically "bash" Wetjest, but will take any opportunity to advance the notion that there is no such thing as a magical gold-spinning business plan.

It starts with the examination of the short interest in WJA shares.

imo.

NZ

Archived