Things looking better

Guest surf1

Travelled today from Honolulu to Calgary via Vancouver with AC. Everyone was great from Ticket agents to Gate Agents, Pilots and F/A's.......

Don't know what happened there but this cynical fella was very impressed......

It's that old story.....I relate this story to 30 people, who tell 30 people, who tell............

Keep it up!!!!

Congrats and thanks for the ride......

How easy it is to throw rocks. And how weak.

I've seen a tremendous amount of progress across the system since April. Yes, there are a few who need to be dealt with, but they are growing fewer.

Consider this: It is easy to smile and be light-hearted when your airline is buoyed by public support and blindness to your warts (and all airlines have them). Very difficult to smile and do it all when, at every turn, your good deeds are ignored and any problem, no matter how minor, is bent into a headline.

I have seen in-flight staff smile while passengers treated them like dirt, berating them over an article in the paper about AC. Complete abuse. I dare say, those who think the AC staff aren't comprised of a group of professionals doing a huge job under brutal conditions hasn't been doing their homework.

-Just my opinion.

Vs

Good to hear.

Unfortunately, the great things AC does on a daily basis are never lauded and the rotten things AC does on occasion are splashed on the front pages. No other business in Canada is treated the same way.

Just look at the media coverage -- or absence thereof -- of the great things AC has done lately...like helping out families burnt out of their homes in the Okanagan. No different than what AC has done in past tragedies but never gets credit for.

I agree... things are looking better... I was waiting for one of our birds to arrive last night and, for the first time since our cantract has allowed it, I was ready willing and able to wave the buggers in myself if the bagsmashers (said with love, they call themselves that) hadn't been there, but they were!

And, to top that off, almost everyone who got off of that airplane (flt 180) had a smile on their face.

I felt a little bit like the shmuck who throws open the gates to the wolves though, as we found a hydraulic leak later on that killed the 0900 departure... But what's broke needs to be fixed. Sorry folks.

My best contribution to AC last night, other than towing a couple and looking after one airplane all night, was lowering the flags to half mast this morning...

Hey, someone had to do it! Imagine the AC bashers seeing the flags flying high?... "those rotten turds don't even have the courtesy to lower their flags"

We do so!

Anyway, all in all, yep, I'd say things are lookin' up.

A lot of people and companies do a lot of donations, fundraising, for causes as the Kelowna Fire or The Beef Producers, most of them do not expect to have their efforts menioned in the media. They are doing it because there is a need. I'm sure Air Canada does donations for the reason of need, not the publicity, as some AC staffers seem to require for themselves.

Naw, you're missing the point Manwest... It's not that good things are done for the attention, we know it's not there anyway... Like you said, it's not something that particularly stands out anyway. Any decent community minded corp. would do the same, right?. But there's the point. AC is a decent company.

The bad press we get is completely out of touch with ballance. Like every company, there are occasional difficulties. But our's get magnified and jumped on without the ballance of the same kind of magnifying glass reporting the good side as well.

I don't know, I took my step-princess to the airport on Monday night. We were a bit late for the two-hour requested arrival at T1, but she was processed by check-in and security in about half an hour. Everyone seemed pleasant and helpful, no big issues, despite a number of people in line whose luggage was way over the weight limit, which meant repacking on the spot, etc.

Loads are a little lighter now that Labor Day is past, but I suspect that tens of thousands of people each day are having experiences like my step-daughter, namely, very routine experiences.

Manwest,

How much did your travel company raise? Ever heard the old saying if you can't say something nice don't bother saying anything at all. Just get a rope and hang yourself may suit you better.

No it's not my standard response. Last January my uncle was flying YSB-YYZ-YVR on Air Canada. He's pretty old, and does need help moving around most of the time. When he was boarding the aircraft (with no assistance mind you), he fell as he tried to get into his seat. The flight attendant didn't do a thing about it but watch as his wife tried in vain to help him up. Where is the compassion in that? I hope you can see why I'm a little angry. No, I don't hate Air Canada. No, I don't hate all of its employees. I hate those select few that continue to be bitter about who they work for and what they do.

Reread the message it was directed at those who complain that AC only gets bad press.

Our office and area merchants have a Kelowna Fire drive on for the fire victims, what have you done????

Its funny when you have to explain a post because someone misreads it.

Sorry about mis-reading the post. Because it was in response to the previous post's " Just look at the media coverage -- or absence thereof -- of the great things AC has done lately...like helping out families burnt out of their homes in the Okanagan. No different than what AC has done in past tragedies but never gets credit for." when you mentioned that "A lot of people and companies do a lot of donations, fundraising, for causes as the Kelowna Fire or The Beef Producers, most of them do not expect to have their efforts menioned in the media." I took it as a rant about how much you despise any good media about Air Canada. My Apologies.

Thank you for your apology, many people interpret posts incorrectly, I too reread them to make sure I understand what the poster is trying to get across.:)

I don't doubt the sincerity of the reporter. I do doubt the accuracy of the report. If your opinion is based upon anecdotal hearsay, as it appears, then you do a disservice to those whose conduct you demean. I trust you do not govern all of your daily activities and the formulation of all of your opinions on the basis of such evidence.

You dissemble, Manwest. Pull Up was very generous in offering an apology. I re-read your post; it has some though not much ambiguity and one who concludes that the post was critical of the suggestion that AC employees should receive some acknowledgement of their efforts would not be unjustified. Ah, what the heck. Let's be honest. You quite clearly were saying that many other individuals and organizations made contributions without any expectation that their efforts would be recognized. Why ,you implied, should AC employees expect praise for doing what others do without pause or expectation of personal aggrandizement.

JesusH.....I feel like a new President! (I imagine most Americans feel like a new president by now too...). Therefore, in order to decrease the increasing out-of-sorts tone of this Forum, I hereby order all posters, especially those given to 'tardism, which is WAY worse than constipation, to begin a thrice daily regimen of orange-flavored Metamucil mixed in a tall glass with plenty of ice and... plenty of your favorite vodka.

Here's to your gastrointestinal health, dearies....

Guest Touchdown

Hello CanadaEH......

I too had a good story to report today.....I flew back to YYZ from RDU and a gentleman told us on the bus to customs that he had lost his cellphone on the plane and that he ahd only 40 minutes to clear customs and get one his way to his connecting flight to Winnipeg. We got him to line up for Customs and we went through to baggage claim to ask about the cellphone. The agent who was all by his self commented he would try to track it down and might get it to him. A few radio calls and he had located the cellphone and went out of his way to receive it. The pax who was a first time flyer had the cell back in his hand as he arrived into the baggage hall. A job well done, but I bet you won't hear about that in any papers tomorrow.....Nope just another employee who cares going the extra mile.....There are quite a few out there who can make a difference...

Cheers Touchdown

I'm probably going to regret this post later on, but I believe I have to comment:

Re: "I hate those select few that continue to be bitter about who they work for and what they do."

You're mistaking justifiable frustration for bitterness. Please remember, this is an employee forum. It's like a lunchroom and a water cooler... (in a way) we air our beefs to each other, and these days -- in fact, for some time now --, there's been a lot to beef about.

I sincerely doubt that many of us, either here or at large, are bitter about what we do, and if we're bitter about who we work for it may just be the person or persons we work for, not the company.

As for your uncle's experience, it truly does sound like an unfortunate one... I suspect that the flight attendant may have had no idea his/her assistance was required. I've never met any human being, even a horrible flight attendant, that wouldn't help an old person that had fallen and needed help.

Lost you, I guess. A "reporter" is one who "tells the story" and that, in this case would be your uncle. Either he recounted to you a story involving an injury to your aunt or vice versa. Regardless, my point is that your post was based upon a story told to you (hearsay) rather than a recounting of a personal experience. I do not believe that an FA idly stood by while your relative sustained and dealt with a disabling injury. There is no doubt a great deal more to the event than has been "reported".

Okay. I'm struggling..."'tardism"? In association with constipation, no less. Hmmmm! Let's see...."tardy: slow to act or move or happen." Aha! That's it! I can see the association except....what does it have to do with the preceding posts? Was someone too late in responding?

You're not speaking metaphorically of "anal retention" are you? Do you think we're just a touch obsessed....dearie?

The last time I checked my uncle was no liar. Don't give me this "reporter" crap, this is a family member (not a friend of a friend of a friend) who told me what happened to him last time he flew. What does an 80 year-old man have to lie about?

First...read my initial response again; "I don't doubt the sincerity (etc)". In other words, I did not call your uncle a "liar" but did comment upon the frailty of human recollection and the inaccuracy of testimony due to a great number of factors including age. I suggested that you ought not to pass judgment based upon hearsay regardless of whether it derives from your uncle or your neighbour's brother "Bill".

And let us re-visit your post, shall we? You state that your uncle fell while attempting to get into his seat. Did he precede your aunt; in other words, was she between the FA and your uncle? Did he therefore "fall" onto the adjacent seat? Just exactly what do you mean by the word "fall"? Alternatively, did your aunt take the inside seat with your uncle then "falling" into the aisle? If your aunt's efforts to provide assistance were in "vain" (as you say) then she failed in her effort to assist him and one is therefore compelled to assume that your uncle got up without assistance or was aided by someone else; ie; another FA? In short, your story that an FA stood idly by while your uncle laid helpless is incredible. Sorry.

Archived