Zip fleet offered.........

Guest manwest

Guest Stone

No surprise here. Air Canada has publicly stated that they want Zip to go Airbus. Soon, the Zip fleet will be all A320's and A319's and there will certainly be more than the 20 currently allowed under the agreement with ACPA. The lessors of the 737's have been advised that the aircraft will be returned to them shortly and as such can go ahead and shop them around.

Clive saw another opportunity to get his face in the media and jumped at it. Air Canada doesn't care if Clive or anyone else takes the 737's. As mentioned, you will shortly see them gone from Air Canada and Zip's fleets in favour of Airbus.

Did anyone else see the humour is this :D

He said "the low fares are depressing industry yields because airlines like WestJet are forced to match the discounts. "

Guest Eclipse

He said the low fares are depressing industry yields because airlines like WestJet are forced to match the discounts. Rather than dumping seats at low fares, Air Canada should reduce excess capacity, he said.

The stuff Clive comes up with boggles the mind. He chose to lower the bar and now can't stand it when Air Canada may come out of this with the advantage.

Every day I meet more and more AC employee's that will do whatever it takes to make this man eat his words !!!!

Maybe you (and your airline) would be better served with you worrying less about having someone eat there words and more about doing something to prevent your liquidation. Another primo example of mind numbing stupidity:
http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=160c07f9-7485-4789-b981-89ae1d3899d1

Guest pitstacker

"Every day I meet more and more AC employee's that will do whatever it takes to make this man eat his words !!!! "

Maybe if those employees were concentrating on their jobs, rather than trying to run the competition out, AC wouldn't be in such a mess in the first place.

Just a thought.

Guest Airmail

It's particularly interesting that the comment about excess capacity comes from the head of an airline growing its capacity by 50% per year when commenting about an airline which has, at best, had flat capacity and, more recently, capacity reductions in the vicinity of 15%!

Amazing that the brainwaves at the National Post can't figure that one out!

I suppose that would also include selling seats below cost. Great airfares at AC for the summer season I see. This will really help the bottom line, I'm sure. Suppose it also really doesn't matter as liquidation is comming soon, probably sooner than most would think.

If you think that AC will be liquidated...think again. Who would take over. Westjet? Gimme a break. Awesome airline, but not in a position to take over as Canada's flag carrier. For that matter why would Westjet want to either...

Guest Eclipse

I don't hear Mr. Milton criticizing the competition every time he opens his mouth.

I have been in airports when Westjet employees make PA's demeaning AC.

It appears Westjet is the one running down their competition

Clive is making a bunch of Air Canada employee's focused on doing their job very well.

I do think AC will be liquidated.. soon.

WJ, SS, Jetsgo, CJ, TRZ, are all Canadian companies, can't they be national carriers? Why only AC?

There are lots of airlines flying into Canada and from overseas who could pick up the international slack left by AC. They've got tons of room on their aircraft and lots more aircraft that are just sitting around they could do international with.

I just can't buy the 'end of the world' scenario if AC goes bankrupt.

The rumor about the A319's to ZIP have been around for 4-5 weeks now. No surprise there. I had that info on a post back then. I also stated then that the company may be looking for some good used 737-300's or -400's. Anyone got an update to that?????

Well said Maverick....I have never been offended by what Clive has said or done and I work for AC. WestJet just keeps plugging along doing what they do best and AC doesn't know which way to turn. I detect a little bit of envy and insecurity in what ECLIPSE is saying. Westjest knows AC will survive and rebound into a good competitor to WS. It will take a year or more.

Guest b52er

Air Canada as I have stated before is NOT a flag carrier in its truest form. We as Canadains have only allowed AC to display the Maple Leaf on the tails as a matter of historical legacy. However, as it is very clear to all, I as well as many others see no purpose to continuing on with this so called legacy, turned national embarassment. So please, stop refering to Air Canada, which is nothing more than a Canadian carrier as our national carrier please. Its incorrect.

Like it or not everyone sees AC as a flag carrier - Canadians and other Nationals. As for "allowing" the maple leaf - it's a trademark so AC can do as they please. If Westjet was to show up one day in Heathrow, do you think that anyone would even recognize you as being Canadian?

Guest Toron1

Liquidation...? think the great airlines of the world... Pam Am, SwissAir, Sabena, Eastern and so on maybe, United, American, etc.

I'm not saying that Air Canada or WestJet isn't the airline to all people but there is only one fact... the red on Air Canada may have been prophetic.

Get your head out of the sand!!!

Guest Labtec

Not according to Minister Collenette and the Government of Canada. They have continuously referred to Air Canada as the "FLAG" Carrier. They make policy and you do not. Seems to me that policy as outlined by our government leaders has Air Canada as our proud national Flag Carrier.

I'll tell you what Westjet can be Alberta's provincial Carrier and we'll call it a truce.

Labtec

My head isn't in the sand. Tell me who of the creditors is really going to pursue liquidation.

The aircraft lessors?...yeah right. I am sure that they want to add their aircraft to the growing list of aircraft in the desert. If AC was all alone in this bankruptcy protection, I would be really scared of the lessors, but right now, they are in as much financial trouble as the airlines are.

Nav Canada...they would be in CCAA the day after they put AC into liquidation. Same goes for GTAA, and all of the other airport authorities.

CARA...ditto.

So who exactly will put AC into liquidation...bond holders? Not likely, if AC presents a business plan that they will agree to. Trading debt for equity, even at 30 cents to the dollar, is better than nothing.

Air Canada will pull this one through. We as employees are gonna take a big haircut, we all know that. Once this company emerges, free of government hinderances, hopefully just hopefully, Clive will finally see some competition. Real competition, not the games that AC has been playing for the last years.

People should not underestimate the employees of Air Canada. We may not like the reality of what is happening to us, but we will emerge a strong viable carrier.

Archived