Air to Ground Refueling,

The "Capture" above is very misleading. Choppers DO NOT hover while refueling tanks. Not a real big deal as the helos land, the tanks drive up and are fueled .

It is actually called ADGF  (Air Delivered Ground Refueling) 

The give away in the photo is that there doesn't appear to be any downwash....😉

25 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

The give away in the photo is that there doesn't appear to be any downwash....😉

That and the fact that not a single one of 6 dudes is looking up at the massive helicopter hovering 6 feet above their heads!

47 minutes ago, Seeker said:

That and the fact that not a single one of 6 dudes is looking up at the massive helicopter hovering 6 feet above their heads!

why would they be looking up? more important to keep an eye on the fueling hose Fake or perhaps just something beyond retired personal experience? 😀

36 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

why would they be looking up? more important to keep an eye on the fueling hose Fake or perhaps just something beyond retired personal experience? 😀

Malcolm, that initial photo is pure FAKE.......I may be retired but not without some left-over aerodynamic knowledge...not a breath of wind evident .......courtesy helo or weather 😄 

59 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

As Kip says - totally fake.  No downdraft and, I don't care who you are, if there's a helicopter hovering 6 feet above you - YOU'RE LOOKING UP!

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Do you share Kip an Seeker's pov or ????? 😀

Yes and no. Yes, it’s fake. No, they wouldn’t be looking up. The dust storm a helicopter that size would create would have everyone trying to bury there head somewhere where the Sun doesn’t shine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich Pulman said:

Yes and no. Yes, it’s fake. No, they wouldn’t be looking up. The dust storm a helicopter that size would create would have everyone trying to bury there head somewhere where the Sun doesn’t shine.

I’ve refueled a helicopter from the deck of a ship while it was hovering over me… believe me, you cast a glance upwards occasionally!

7 hours ago, conehead said:

I’ve refueled a helicopter from the deck of a ship while it was hovering over me… believe me, you cast a glance upwards occasionally!

Yes, because if it was a SeaKing and it  landed, it would  probably be unserviceable 😅

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, deicer said:

Also, don't all U.S. military vehicles use the same fuel for simplified operations?

some use diesel, others JP8 and jp5.

In addition, 68-ton tanks require a lot of fuel. US Deputy Defense Secretary Laura Cooper called Abrams a "gasoline guzzler." It travels only about a kilometer on almost 4 liters of fuel. The US Army fuels its M1s with jet fuel, while other countriesʼ militaries put cheaper diesel into their Abrams.Nov 30, 2023

• Thanks 1

Diesel and jet fuel are essentially the same thing.  Jet fuel does not have the additives for lubrication.  I know plenty of guys that run their Jettas on JetA.  Fill it with Jet A and a few ounces of Stanodyne and you are good to go.