50th Anniversary of A300 First Flight

deicer

I've spent my whole career primarily working on Boeing aircraft. Love 'em for sure but I was lucky enough to spend about a year working on the A300-B2F and A300-B4F for ICC (remember them?). Very cool airplanes but I was always struck at how similar the cockpit was laid out like the mighty DC-10, in particular the Flight Engineers station. I think Mitch might have worked on both of them at the same time in the Wardair days?

Regardless, what would the commercial aircraft world look like today if the FAA had granted McDonnell Douglas the twin engine ETOPS exemption they asked for when they originally designed the (twin-engined) DC-10?

Edited by Maverick

There was a very interesting book, "Destination Disaster", which looked into the DC-10.  The authors were sued for the tone of the writing in the UK but the lawsuit never went anywhere as far as I know.  The basic facts were not disputed.  The wrongdoing in the whole affair makes Boeing look mild these days.  Also interesting that MD management filled in the top positions after the merger.

Unfortunately I lent my copy and it is gone.

There was a joke within Boeing that McDonnell Douglas bought Boeing with Boeing's money.

Not in a good way. Harry Stonecipher brought everything bad about MD to Boeing's detriment.

• Thanks 1