BA 787 Nose Gear Collapse

deicer

Includes pictures.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9700323/British-Airways-Dreamliner-787-nose-COLLAPSES-tarmac-Heathrow-Airport.html

British Airways Dreamliner 787 nose COLLAPSES on the tarmac at Heathrow Airport injuring one crew member on the ground after 'engineer failed to lock the landing gear properly'

• British Airways Dreamliner 787 has been seen with its nose on the ground at Heathrow Airport this morning
  • Aircraft confirmed to have suffered a collapse to its front landing gear while having cargo loaded its stand
  • Flight operator said plane was transporting freight and had no passengers on board at the time
  • A source told MailOnline that flight crew were however on board and raised possibility of a safety issue 
  • A British Airways plane has suffered a nose gear collapse on the tarmac at Heathrow Airport - seriously injuring a crew member - after an engineer 'failed to lock it out'.

Shocking photos show the Dreamliner 787-8 with its nose on the ground and broken landing gear while a stair car stands by.

Airport emergency crews rushed to the scene with the extent of the damage to the plane not yet known. Medics assessed two staff with one in need of hospital treatment.

• The incident happened while the plane - a passenger aircraft converted for cargo transport - was being loaded for a morning flight to Frankfurt, Germany, having flown in from Moscow two days ago.

A source told MailOnline that the accident occurred because of an engineer 'not locking out the nose gear properly' meaning the vital piece of landing equipment could have folded itself up inside the plane. 

They added that some flight crew were onboard when it collapsed and there were concerns among ground staff of a possible safety issue which could lead to other 787s being grounded while inspections are carried out.

A British Airways Dreamliner 787 has suffered a nose gear collapse on the tarmac at Heathrow Airport this morning. Photos show the aircraft at an angle surrounded by fire crews and police

+7
    •  

A British Airways Dreamliner 787 has suffered a nose gear collapse on the tarmac at Heathrow Airport this morning. Photos show the aircraft at an angle surrounded by fire crews and police

Airport emergency crews rushed to the scene with the extent of the damage to the plane not yet known. It appears only the front landing gear, underneath the pilot's cabin, has collapsed, leaving the plane at a downwards angle

+7
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

Airport emergency crews rushed to the scene with the extent of the damage to the plane not yet known. It appears only the front landing gear, underneath the pilot's cabin, has collapsed, leaving the plane at a downwards angle

Emergency services attend collapsed BA plane on Heathrow runway

Loaded: 0%
    Progress: 0%
    0:00
    Previous
    Play
    Skip
    Mute

Current Time0:00
    /
    Duration Time0:23
    Fullscreen
    Need Text

MORE VIDEOS

•  

3 minutes ago, North of You said:

How does a carbon fibre fuselage compare to a aluminum one in this situation? I know there have been some hard landings on the 67 which caused buckling, but which was repairable.  How does one of these handle this sort of damage?  

Boeing’s Mobile Repair Team is never short of work!

16 hours ago, conehead said:

Boeing’s Mobile Repair Team is never short of work!

Can u expand on what sort of damage something like this would to to the fuselage vs aluminum pls.  I understand that they “bake” the entire section in one piece.  So how would a repair be conducted on something like this?

thank u

32 minutes ago, North of You said:

Can u expand on what sort of damage something like this would to to the fuselage vs aluminum pls.  I understand that they “bake” the entire section in one piece.  So how would a repair be conducted on something like this?

thank u

Sorry North, it’s not my area of expertise, and I have no experience on these composite structures. I know there are methods of “patching” some damage on the fuselage, but something of this magnitude is beyond me.

I read this elsewhere and can’t confirm its accuracy but apparently the fuselage structure is made in such a way that they cannot insert a partial patch. A repair would require replacement of the entire fuselage section.

10 hours ago, J.O. said:

I read this elsewhere and can’t confirm its accuracy but apparently the fuselage structure is made in such a way that they cannot insert a partial patch. A repair would require replacement of the entire fuselage section.

That’s what I was thinking. 

i would love to see the bill for this little “oops”.   

41 minutes ago, North of You said:

That’s what I was thinking. 

i would love to see the bill for this little “oops”.   

For want of a plastic plug

“For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.”

• Haha 1