Another Hazard of Ramping...

deicer

I was being pushed back at JFK some years ago. About half way through the push into the alley, the tug's transmission exploded. We couldn't see it from the 767 flt deck and had the option of staying put and blocking the alley until a replacement tug could be found or power out. The ground crew advised we could power out once disconnected and would give guidance to avoid any debris on the ramp. That's what we did and the ground crew confirmed we avoided all the debris, confined to a pretty small area under where the tug used to be. Probably not as spectacular as Deicer's video - the marshaller was lucky he wasn't killed.

I saw the results of an overinflated Nose Wheel when on course several years ago.  The rim was torn like a piece of paper.  One of my early lessons in aircraft maintenance was to walk swiftly past the gear when doing a walkaround on a recently arrived aircraft.  Always ahead or behind never beside.

2 hours ago, boestar said:

I saw the results of an overinflated Nose Wheel when on course several years ago.  The rim was torn like a piece of paper.  One of my early lessons in aircraft maintenance was to walk swiftly past the gear when doing a walkaround on a recently arrived aircraft.  Always ahead or behind never beside.

Good advice. ?

4 hours ago, boestar said:

SOP for WD crews..

Archived