Delta Highlights their New A220 Aircraft

Well played by Airbus adding this aircraft to their inventory. I think the A220 is going to provide a positive change in passenger comfort for regional and mid-range flights. More leg room, carry-on storage and cabin size. Looking forward to seeing them flying in Canada. 

I'm more interested in seeing what Mirabel looks like in ten years because of this transaction than I am in the A220 itself, I have heard Airbus has expressed an interest in the site of the former terminal and the land to the NE of Bombardier's existing facility.

The former terminal has been used in lots of movies since they closed the airport to passenger traffic. Those yellow ticket counters and sign boards scattered around the building are a dead give away on several films. 

Lots of land surrounding the airport. I’m sure the sons and daughters of the local farmers would love to sell their fields once again. 

ACA37B52-57C1-4066-B07E-DE0BBFE980F2.png

18 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Terminal was finished demolition in 2014. Now the area is used for "moto-sport" and drag racing.

The ICAR Mirabel group are a customer of my son’s company. One structure they cleverly kept intact were the apron buildings used by the ground crews handling all the former airlines. Water, hydro, air conditioned facilities for the racers. 

0664563B-B2FE-449F-B70B-84D0F645377B.png

1 hour ago, QFE said:

So Blues, which cars have you driven? I took the Lamborghini twice around the track

when they were in Toronto-lots of fun, however, a little out of my price range!

I haven’t been there since I last parked a plane in YMX but my kid has customers with some of the teams who race in karting and cars at the ICAR facility. 

I did spend a day recently at the CT Motorsport Park (formerly Mosport) driving Porches. That was a blast but I was surprised to see how many guys got motion sickness halfway thru the program. 

0CB72DCD-86EC-4D0C-AF19-D6F4A08B1CEB.jpeg

Airbus A220 makes North American debut with Delta Air Lines

Feb 7, 2019 Sean Broderick
Delta Air Lines A220-100 launch

Delta Air Lines celebrates the launch of the first passenger flight on the Airbus A220-100 aircraft at LaGuardia Airport on Feb. 7 in New York City.

Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images for Delta

Delta Air Lines on Feb. 7 became the first airline in the Americas to debut the Airbus A220, operating flights between New York LaGuardia (LGA) and both Boston Logan and Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW).

The A220’s debut—delayed a week when the partial government shutdown held up final FAA approvals—kicks off a major ramp-up in A220 services for both Delta and the region. 

Atlanta-based Delta has committed to taking 90 A220s, including 40 A220-100s and 50 A220-300s. It has taken delivery of four—all smaller, 109-seat -100 versions. Aviation Week's Fleet Discovery shows Delta taking delivery of 16 more by year-end. The airline’s 130-seat A220-300s are slated to arrive from 2020 through 2023.

Delta is one of five North American operators with firm orders for a total of 295 of the former Bombardier CSeries family.

Both New York-based JetBlue and David Neeleman’s planned startup, dubbed Moxy for now, have 60 -300s on order, while Air Canada has signed up for 45 -300s. US regional Republic Airways has a 40-aircraft -300 order on its books, though it was placed when the now-regional-aircraft-focused company owned Denver-based Frontier Airlines and is not likely to be fulfilled. 

Airbus lists a backlog of 475 A220s, including 404 -300s. The manufacturer’s January update removed five -100s slated for Swiss charter carrier PrivatAir, which ceased operations in December 2018.

The variety of North American operators suggests the A220’s much-touted versatility will be tested.

Delta is using its initial aircraft to replace large regional jets on premium routes. It has identified four routes are designed to become all-A220 service: LGA-DFW; LGA-Houston Intercontinental; LGA-Salt Lake City; and New York JFK-DFW. Looking ahead, the A220 fleet will be “primarily focused on coastal gateways,” CFO Paul Jacobson said last month. 

JetBlue may use the aircraft on thin, transcontinental routes that are beyond the range of its Embraer E190s, which the A220s are replacing. Neeleman has publicly discussed plans to develop new point-to-point routes, which suggests an emphasis on serving smaller communities.

Sean Broderick, sean.broderick@aviationweek.com

(Fleet analysis by Daniel Williams, daniel.williams@aviationweek.com)

As some of the highest paid US pilots are at Delta, I’m curious what their pay scale is for the A220 and how much interest there is in bidding this aircraft. AC will start receiving them later in 2019 and it may not be that appealing with larger aircraft type opportunities available due to high retirement rates over the next few years. 

Archived