What's That Smell ???

Kip Powick

C3 had some winter flights into Belize one season. Popular place for divers. Also popular with Mennonite families who have farms in that area.

On one particular flight a young couple were seated next to a gentleman in his wool pants, suspenders and straw hat. I guess it wasn’t Saturday so he hadn’t bathed in a few days. They asked to be moved but the flight was full and no one wanted to switch seats.

After we landed and I hurried out to see the fuel man a fellow exited the plane at the same time and identified himself as an AC skipper. He saw what had happened and had the same problem in the seat next to him. I think it was about a 4 hour flight and I guess not that pleasant. 

My worst was in business class sitting next to a guy who just reeked of cigarettes and spent the entire flight wearing his winter coat that also reeked of cigarettes. I work with a couple smokers and I sometimes smell it on them but this guy was just a punch in the throat. And after getting off the plane and into my rental car I was thinking, "oh you have got to be f--king kidding me" but it wasn't the rental car that stunk it was me. I was ready to throw away the clothing I was wearing and shave my head.

Archived