Lancaster crash in Alert

GDR

Thanks for posting the article Greg. 

Every time I went up there with a new FO  I would take them out to the site, and except for the wind, it was always eerily quiet.

I would imagine you have many flights in and out as a Boxtop Captain  and many fun nights in Thule..

On one Boxtop I spent every free moment in Thule recording all the popular  music the small US Mil radio station had.

Then we had the tragedy of the Herc going in  back in October 1991, a deadly accident that should never have happened.

Have a Happy New Year out there on the " Wet Coast" and have a great 2019 plus more !!

Kip

Hi Kip

It was an interesting experience flying into Alert. Our navigators were really accurate with our radar getting us lined up with the barrels at the end of the runway. Some even worked out a system where they could give us a verbal glide slope. Of course you could always get down low over the ice and fly straight in but you sure had to trust the nav you were with.

I have pictures on my den wall of the Herc (321) that crashed up there as it was the airplane I was promoted to aircraft commander on.

Thule was fun and they sure had a great PX. :) I brought back what was then a great stereo system from there.  I remember the ropes between buildings to keep from from getting lost in the 20 feet or so that you had to traverse when one of the frequent storms hit. I also remember getting a few pretty rough rides going in there when the wind was coming from the direction of the flat top island to the left of the approach.

Ah to be 24 again eh. :) 

Happy 2019

Greg

Thanks for posting this Greg, and Kip, thanks for taking your new FOs to the graves.  This is how we show respect.

My aunt's brother was on that flight and I remember hearing the story when I was growing up.  I will pass this on to my cousin.  In my memory the crash happened at Christmas, but obviously not.

I used to work in the islands and can appreciate the conditions up there.  Fortunately we had good equipment and a company which did not push wx.

Greg fascinating article. She was a Canadian built (Malton ON) Lancaster MkX KB965 C/N 37266. From the Bomber Command Museum Website is her pedigree......

Flown to England; issued to #405(B) Sqdrn as code 'LQ-D'; returned to Canada 17.6.45; attached to #664 Wing, Tiger Force; converted to Mk.10MP; issued to #405(MR) in 1949 marked AG-965; served until crashed at Alert. NWT. on 31.7.50 killing W/C D.T.French(P) and seven others; while dropping two batches of supplies to weather station at Alert, one parachute caught on the port elevator and fouled the controls; with the drop at 1000 ft. there was no time to recover before striking the ground; All crew killed on impact; SOC 16.8.50

Thanks for posting this Greg. This isn't directly in response but it is cool. These pics were taken by my grandmother in 1959.

My dad was on this Lancaster when they brought it in for the day.

Anyone tell me where this is?

I do know. ?

Lanc2.jpg

Lanc3.jpg

Well I believe the nose of the aircraft is in the aviation Museum in Ottawa...

Delivered to #428(B)Squadron in Jan.45; Returned to Canada on 2.6.45 with #428(B) as code 'NA-G'; converted on 23.1.57 to Mk10DC for trials with Ryan Firebee drones under outer wings; code 'PX848' (1959/60) AAED firebee trials (Jun.55-Feb.57); spent a short while at Greenwood (61); SOC 3.4.64; nose only at Canada Aviation Museum

5 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Well I believe the nose of the aircraft is in the aviation Museum in Ottawa...

Delivered to #428(B)Squadron in Jan.45; Returned to Canada on 2.6.45 with #428(B) as code 'NA-G'; converted on 23.1.57 to Mk10DC for trials with Ryan Firebee drones under outer wings; code 'PX848' (1959/60) AAED firebee trials (Jun.55-Feb.57); spent a short while at Greenwood (61); SOC 3.4.64; nose only at Canada Aviation Museum

Yes it is Kip. This is my pic from this summer. My dad was one of three (I believe) qualified techs to launch the drones.

IMG_2256.JPG

Archived