Wrong Airport

I worked with a guy who landed his 737 at the wrong Sault Ste Marie. They realized their mistake and quickly flew back over to YAM. Their jobs were gone not long afterwards. No clearance, US airport not stressed for a 737-200. TC had a long list their pilot union couldn't argue. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/09/us/delta-flight-lands-at-air-force-base/

5 minutes ago, av8tor said:

In the right set of circumstances, it can happen to any one of us ...

http://tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2003/a03p0259/a03p0259.asp

I would agree 100% in older generation aircraft such as my friends (NPA, broke cloud, saw an airport) but any new aircraft with a map display should have a runway, extended centerline and distance information. In this case the two airport runway alignments were very close. Probably a factor in this event.

The FAA's recent minimum 1200 hour rule will never eliminate pilot fatigue. I have no idea if this was even a factor but this short sector may have very well been the last of a busy day for a couple of tired and experienced DL pilots. 

Anxious to see what TC has in store for Canadian pilots.

6 minutes ago, Canoehead said:

Didn't AC also land a DC9 accidently at Sanderson Field (American Sault) many years ago?  I'm sure we were told that in college.  Maybe it was this -200 you're talking about Blues.  

Sorry Canoehead. No knowledge of any AC flight. The story I'm referring to was told to me first hand by the PIC. His version was pretty funny. I guess he was able to laugh about it years later but the event changed his life. Great guy. Just an "oh shite" day. :)

I tried to land at what I thought was an airport on a solo cross country in 1978. In reality, it was the old Aylmer, ON airport that had been converted into the OPP's police college facility. I knew something was wrong when I saw a police car chasing a Mustang down the runway.

Archived