BA A380 (very) low go-around....

Almost looks an autoland issue. Flare appeared to stop at about 10'. I've had the thing I happen in YYC once on 767. Autoland hung up the airplane at about 10'. Fortunately it was runway 34. 

Go-around didn't look well executed i.e. unplanned. Looked like flare speed was too high delaying MLG touchdown with a subsequent GO-AROUND call when landing in touch down zone not assured. Gear retraction was very late in the G/A profile.

I hear Blues explanation: Could have been a trial autoland with a last minute NO FLARE; NO IDLE auto-calls (or whatever Airbus does - never flew the "plastic" airplane...[[sorry, my Boeing colours showing]]) requiring a manual landing or a go-around. But looked more like a flight that floated past a safe TDZ

Second approach and landing: I saw #2 & #3 sleeves open for the idle reverse landing but not #1. THAT seemed odd...

31 minutes ago, Robert Perkins said:

Don't believe that 1 or 4 have reverse.  Only the inner two.  I don't recall the reason but could be for ingestion reduction because of the wide positioning of the outboards.

You are correct and as funny as it seems , another reason for no reverse thrust on the outboards was to decrease the aircraft's weight. Apparently the 2 reverse thrusters do little to slow the beast down but are helpful on wet or snow covered runways...(hydro-planing issues?)

6 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

You are correct and as funny as it seems , another reason for no reverse thrust on the outboards was to decrease the aircraft's weight. Apparently the 2 reverse thrusters do little to slow the beast down but are helpful on wet or snow covered runways...(hydro-planing issues?)

You are correct Kip, the reverse thrust does very little but it does come into play when using the BTV (brake to vacate) as it helps with keeping the break temperatures a little lower for the turn around time since  the 380 does not have any brake fans.

Archived