Cost Cuts at Boeing

blues deville

10 hours ago, boestar said:

Wasn't the "hole" in the Boeing lineup once filled by the 757?  Nothing really replaced that airframe in the lineup when it was discontinued

Yes and it was one of the lowest design costs aircraft produced by Boeing. All the the avionics, flight control, hydraulics systems, etc were desiged and developed for the 767. Boeing used the upper 707 fuselage jig and lower 727 jig (which it was intended to replace with one less pilot and more seats) for the airframe and only had to design a new wing and tail. The biggest challenge was trying to squeeze the 767 flight deck into the smaller 757 fuselage. The result was a step down into the flight deck with the pilots sitting lower than the cabin floor. A fuel efficient airplane in its time and I feel Boeing made a mistake when they shut down its production. And now anyone still operating them has a difficult time sourcing spare parts. When FEDEX started using them they bought every a spare available and won't share. 

Some friends of mine were at a Boeing event a number of years ago where the Boeing brass made pithy statements to the effect that there was no "hole" and if there were ever again a demand for a transcontinental narrowbody the world economy will have plunged into depths unknown.

40 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

If you can't move large volumes of freight, there's no advantage to operating a wide-body that I know of?

Is WestJet supplementing their 767 passenger ops by carrying cargo?

Me too but of course ULD and Pallet traffic are a little different.  I see their site has some restrictions, so I guess they yet to explore that world.

S

Shipments we cannot accept:

• WestJet and WestJet Cargo do not accept endangered species, or the remains from endangered species, as listed on Environment Canada's website under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) or trophies from any of the following five big game animals (cape buffalo, elephants, leopards, lions, rhinoceros) transported from other countries.
  • Shipments likely to damage the carrier's equipment or other shipments.
  • Shipments tendered with instructions to collect on delivery (C.O.D.).
  • Shipments of dangerous goods.
  • Seafood shipments with individual pieces weighing more than 36 kilograms or 80 pounds, and perishable goods having a declared value in excess of $5,000.00.

Shipments subject to prior arrangements:

• Shipments requiring special attention, protection, or care en route.
  • Shipments containing pieces of unusual shape or size.*
  • Shipments (other than seafood) containing any single piece weighing more than 136 kilograms or 300 pounds.
  • Human remains.
  • Shipments, or any part thereof, whose overall dimensions (length + width + height) exceed a total of 228 centimetres or 90 inches.
  • Shipments of bills of exchange, currency (money), furs, fur clothing, fur-trimmed clothing, jewelry (other than costume jewelry), gems (cut or uncut), gold or silver bullion (coined or uncoined), platinum or other precious metals, and similar articles or commodities.

Archived