Hurricane Patricia

blues deville

most flights to / from PVR are now cancelled. Those who were awaiting their WestJet departure today to YYC are waiting in vain as are those likely for tomorrow also. However on the plus side, WestJet now has a big jet that they would use for an eventual rescue mission.

Looks like any AC pax are booked on interline connections from PVR so they are likely sitting and waiting.

Let us hope for the residents of PVR that the storm is not as strong as predicted.

The midday Friday central pressure recording of 879 millibars (the barometric pressure equivalent is 25.96 inches) "is the lowest for any tropical cyclone globally for over 30 years," according to the Met Office, Britain's weather service.

What does surprise me at 19:50edt there is nothing I can find on the WestJet site addressing the problem or giving any advice to the stranded passengers. Am I simply missing the item or ???? All I can find is this:Departures from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (PVR) on Friday, 23 October 2015

Flight
Departure To
Flight Number City Scheduled Time Gate Status WS 2347 Calgary, AB (YYC) 4:45 PM
Cancelled

I don't understand why there is no link to that info on the main WestJet home page. It's a little hidden on the blog site.

I agree, if for nothing else than to avail the concerns of the folks in Canada awaiting the return of their loved ones. I hear the sound of a "very large ball" being dropped.

AirCanadahas posted this:

Airport:
Puerto Vallarta, Ordaz, Mexico (PVR)
Event:
Flights may be impacted by hurricane Patricia

Air Canada and Air Canada Express advise that flights to, from or connecting through the airport(s) listed may be delayed or cancelled due to the event described.

When:
All day, October 25, 2015
What to do:
Air Canada has revised its ticketing policy for customers booked on affected flights to facilitate changes to bookings. Those customers wishing to make alternate travel arrangements can do so without penalty, space permitting, using our online rebooking tool: check your alternate travel options currently available; re-book yourself and check in before arriving at the airport.

Prior to leaving for the airport, please check your Flight Status, or call Air Canada's automated flight information system at 1-888-422-7533.

Alternatively, you can contact Air Canada Reservations toll free in Canada and the U.S. at 888-247-2262; TTY: 1-800-361-8071 or Air Canada Reservations worldwide. Due to increased call centre volume, wait times may be longer than usual.

Air Canada Vacations Customers must contact Air Canada Vacations directly for rebooking or for travel alternatives at 1-800-296-3408.

More information on re-booking policies for anticipated flight delays and cancellations.

Air Canada is monitoring the situation closely and is working to get you on your way safely and as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

the only information appearing on the Westjet forum today is a list of cancelled flights. I do hope that all the guests were contracted but since a lot of them would have checked out of their hotels before the cancellations, has westjet arranged any accomodation / help? Here is the list of today's cancelations.

Travel advisory: Hurricane Patricia - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

A hurricane warning has been announced for:

- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

This may cause delays or cancellations.

We advise all guests travelling to or from this city between October 23 and October 24, 2015 to check the status of their flights prior to leaving for the airport.

Additional updates will be posted as they are available.

Departures from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (PVR) on Saturday, 24 October 2015

Flight
Departure To

Flight Number City Scheduled Time Gate Status WS 2651 Toronto, ON (YYZ) 11:59 AM

Cancelled

WS 2455 Winnipeg, MB (YWG) 12:00 PM

Cancelled

WS 2347 Calgary, AB (YYC) 4:40 PM

Cancelled

WS 2205 Edmonton, AB (YEG) 6:55 PM

Cancelled

WS 2153 Vancouver, BC (YVR) 8:40 PM

Cancelled

And the clean up starts.

The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, October 25, 2015 7:12AM EDT

Flights between Canada and the Mexican resort community of Puerto Vallarta are set to resume today after a massive hurricane disrupted travel this weekend.

The threat of hurricane Patricia prompted WestJet to cancel its flights to Puerto Vallarta yesterday, but the storm came ashore in a sparsely populated stretch of coast and there were no reports of damage in major populated areas.

Westjet says it will run six flights to the community today and says 700 passengers have been booked.

Air Canada says its regularly scheduled flight today is a go as well.

Canadians in the region were prepared for the worst but three Canadians living in Puerto Vallerta say there was just a little rain on Friday and the sunshine was back yesterday.

Looks like the WestJet rescue operation is going well.

Departures from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (PVR) on Sunday, 25 October 2015

Flight
Departure To

Flight Number City Scheduled Time Gate Status

WS 4255 Winnipeg, MB (YWG) 11:00 AM Departed

WS 4251 Toronto, ON (YYZ) 12:00 PM Departed

WS 2247 Calgary, AB (YYC) 12:45 PM Departed

WS 4241 Calgary, AB (YYC) 12:45 PM Delayed

WS 4213 Calgary, AB (YYC) 3:45 PM On time

WS 2153 Vancouver, BC (YVR) 8:25 PM On time

Archived