Hawker Hurricane Restoration

Wonderful video history Mitch, thank you! What a massive amount of work and dedication.

The sound of Merlins are forever etched in memory - the Canadair Northstar, (Canadian version of the DC4) that both Trans-Canada and Canadian Pacific flew were powered by Merlins but there's nothing like a Spit doing a high-speed pass, (including that one by a television reporter...).

RAF museum at Hendon is also worth a visit, Duxford is great although it was a long time ago when I was there. Makes you feel a bit ancient when you see aircraft in a museum that you have flown, at least I was on a layover at the time. :biggrin1:

I plan on paying a visit to North Luffenham where my uncle was killed. he is buried over there. While in the area I plan to see what I can.

I plan on paying a visit to North Luffenham where my uncle was killed. he is buried over there. While in the area I plan to see what I can.

I see that was the home of 1 Fighter Wing, RCAF in the early 1950's, before they moved to MarvIlle, France. Was he with them?

I had 4 uncles in the last "great war"... sorry, three uncles plus my dad... one of 'em was on the ground with an artillery unit, almost from the beginning, and somehow survived; ...one was in it from about 1941 as a bomber navigator; ...my old man was a younger navigator who didn't see action until about 1944 (but saw enough after that to make him extremely shy about talking about it.... including having to bail out of a burning bomber - during training, I think); ...and one was a fighter pilot who was killed in a troop transport accident, on his way home after the war was over.

...I owe my existence to that war... that's where my old man met my - then 18 yr. old mother. I hate looking at it like that but it's the truth... If Hitler hadn't existed, I wouldn't exist. :blush::(

The bloody "war to end all wars" found both my grandfathers in it.... Artillery on my dad's side, and my mum's dad was a flipping' balloon pilot! .... what is it with us humans? ... why aren't we smart enough - as a group - to avoid that kind of nonsense?

Archived