Question For F As

Kip Powick

Well..OK....but .it's too bad that FD and CSDs or whatever they are called now :biggrin1: , from different airlines don't all read and recite from the same bible. :glare:

All airlines have their own SOPs. My understanding of the process is that the flight attendant manual, which must obviously comply with CARS, is submitted to Transport for approval, and once it is approved, those are the regulations for that specific airline, but they may differ from other airlines. Just a little something I noticed during 5 mergers. ;)

My worst experience with SOP differences was during the Wardair merger. At Canadian, we were only supposed to be away from our exits during taxi for safety related procedures, ie, demos, cabin checks, etc. Early in that merger, an exWD inflight manager decided we should adopt their arrival procedure of going out into the cabin as soon as we turned off the active runway, opening up the bins, and handing out passenger coats. That lasted about five minutes. Five minutes too long.

Now, as a passenger, I'm surprised by the fact that CSAs, (at the gates), never check on people who are taking carry-on luggage the size of trunks onto the aircraft......... with no scrutiny by CSAs.

There is no way some of those bags meet the regulations yet no one will challenge the customers. In the winter it is particularly bad due to seasonal outerwear that many folks put in the overhead bins.

An additional bitch is the call for boarding......why don't airlines in Canada board by row number and why don't the Gate Agents check the tickets for Elite, Club, J, etc. instead of allowing a herd of lemmings just push their way ahead of those that pay the bigger $$$ for priority boarding.

I guess something's just won't change and the fear of a PO'd customer overrides the carrying out of proper procedures....... :closedeyes:

An additional bitch is the call for boarding......why don't airlines in Canada board by row number and why don't the Gate Agents check the tickets for Elite, Club, J, etc. instead of allowing a herd of lemmings just push their way ahead of those that pay the bigger $$$ for priority boarding.:

Every Air Canada flight that I board is boarded by row number, starting at the back. And the gate agents certainly do check the tickets and enforce the boarding order... I recently tried to "jump the queue" by accident, and was sent to the end of the line by the gate agent. I know you've been travelling with Transat recently Kip, maybe they do it differently. Lemming style. :)

I do wish they would enforce the rules regarding the size of carry-ons. I recently checked the Air Canada website to obtain the dimensions of allowable carry-ons, and then I went out and purchased a new one to match those dimensions. Guess what? Almost every other passenger is boarding with larger bags than specified!

Guest longtimer

Re carryon bag sizes, that is the downside of charging for the 1st bag. As far as not enforcing them, you may not have noticed but the number of passenger agents working the gate has at most airlines decreased to the point that if bags were to be checked, most flights would be delayed.

I am more concerned with the weight of the items being placed into the overhead bins. I don't know what the fudge factor on the weight limits for the bins is but I would bet most are loaded well over the max...... a little like the overload limit for a triple seat which is not based on the "new real weights" of at least North American Passengers.... :Grin-Nod:

Every Air Canada flight that I board is boarded by row number, starting at the back. And the gate agents certainly do check the tickets and enforce the boarding order... I recently tried to "jump the queue" by accident, and was sent to the end of the line by the gate agent. I know you've been travelling with Transat recently Kip, maybe they do it differently. Lemming style. :)

I do wish they would enforce the rules regarding the size of carry-ons. I recently checked the Air Canada website to obtain the dimensions of allowable carry-ons, and then I went out and purchased a new one to match those dimensions. Guess what? Almost every other passenger is boarding with larger bags than specified!

Yes, you are right, it was TS...when I pointed out to the gate agent that those of us that had priority boarding had a specific sticker on the boarding pass, she just gave me a dirty look and really looked PO'd. :biggrin2: In all the years I have travelled with TS I have yet to see the proper boarding procedure for this specific flight even though they drag those signs up that "point the way" for Priority Boarding.

I can understand the rush by the 'lemmings' as they all want overhead bin space, in fact I saw a pax put his carry-on in a bin over row 6 and he carried on to near the rear of the aircraft. Unfortunately for him,the couple who occupied two of the seats in that row were slightly behind him and the male pax pulled the bag out and yelled at the guy to come and pick it up after they placed in the aisle. :biggrin2:.

On US Air they board by rows and seem to check the size of the carry-on's before letting them anywhere near the boarding ramp.

I have seen them come through the gate area and tell people that their luggage is too large to fit in an overhead and give them the option of going back and checking it or having it gate checked for more dollars.

Although on a full flight with lots of people with lots of bags to carry-on they also offered free gate checking to alleviate the storage problem and to speed up boarding.

On many full flights, AC also offers free gate check-in of bags intended for the cabin.

One in-charge ran into trouble with management recently when she asked pax to check bags that were too large for the overheads. Having started with one pax, she was compelled to be even-handed and reject all others of a similar dimension. Obviously---there was a delay and that didn't go over well with anyone.

Go along to get along.

And what about those express lanes in the grocery store limited to 10 items or less? Apparently, the level of math comprehension among consumers has diminished and stores are VERY reluctant to enforce the limitation.

And what about those express lanes in the grocery store limited to 10 items or less? Apparently, the level of math comprehension among consumers has diminished and stores are VERY reluctant to enforce the limitation.

Yeh, but when people complain about me being in the Express Lane in the grocery store which says 10 items or less and I have more than 10 items, I just tell them my name is "Les" :icon_butt:

Guest longtimer

And then there are the folks in the "self Checkout lanes" who refuse to bag their groceries until they have scanned everything through and then after completing their purchase, start to bag the items that they placed on the platform right next to the bags...... of course since they are not in any rush, why should anyone else be. :Furious:

Guest longtimer

And then I guess you don't use the self checkin terminals at airport, automated bank machines etc. ???? :Grin-Nod:

As far a putting someone out of job, the attendant there is kept very busy.....

Archived