How To Trim A Tree With................

Kip Powick

Actually quite common on the Hughes. In the US Army UH-1 (Huey) the pilot was also on the left, co-pilot in the right (most of the time....)

I thought only left-handed pilots would fly from the left seat.

Is there a separate collective for left seat operation?

General Helo practice is Pilot on the right. The only reason I was ever given is that in the even of a tail rotor failure the pilot would have better visibility in the direction of rotation when initiating autorotation to landing. Seemed reasonable to me.

Incredible! Are those bales of pot?

Back in my early flying days in northern Canada, we always hated when the helicopter pilots showed up. The girls seemed to gravitate towards their table and the fixed wing guys were left in their dust.

I guess some of them did have skills.

Holy s#!t! That looks amazing!

....but Blues... It's great to hear some of you guys know what that tastes like. :P That sort of dust is the grease monkeys' steady diet. :angryangry::unsure::lol:

LOL. For what's it worth, some of the funniest guys I've pal'd around with were our mechanics. Anyone working on old equipment outdoors under "God's hangar" needed a good sense of humor to survive.

I watched a guy many years ago at the old T1 in YYZ try to sling an Air Conditioning unit onto the terminal building. The currents around the parking garage must have been nasty as it took him a few attempts. He would fly in and get close when the unit would start to Pendulum. Pretty dangerous when that starts to happen. He would peel off and swing the load wide to stop the swing and stabilize it then try again. It was interesting to watch. He finally got it in place after a few of these maneuvers.

Archived