Music.cbc.ca

Seeker

The internet is full of stuff, some of it is good and some isn't. I think I may have just found some of the best though and, lo and behold, it's from the CBC. The new music site is pretty fantastic but it takes a bit of time to realize how much is available - there's 3 main areas; the first is a streaming section, the second are genre themed community sections and the third (my favourite) are concerts on demand. The site is, apparently, still in beta but it works great for me.

1. Streaming - I used streaming sites before but they've always been kinda buggy, slow to buffer and start etc. This one starts almost instantly, shows the title currently playing on each stream and plays at high quality.

2. The genre and community pages - down towards the bottom on the left side are the community pages. Each one has music news stories often with embedded video and/or interviews specific to that particular genre (just watched a 15 minute interview with Neil Peart about the creation of Moving Pictures!)

3. Concerts on demand - Huge area, shows 518 concerts available in every genre and you can search for any or all according to your taste. some concerts are audio only some have video, it appears that the concerts are edited so that you can jump to any song (listed on the right side)

Here is a link directly to the main page and also to the concert-on-demand search page;

http://music.cbc.ca/#

http://music.cbc.ca/#/concerts/

One more thing, there are also a free apps for iPhone and Android.

Have fun!

The CBC streaming service has a great selection. You can also get a different repertoire at espace.mu . It's the french version. For selection of music and sound quality, you will find few worthy competitors on the net.

I also use the tunein radio service. It's quite nice if you are looking to connect to various radios from around the world. It usually has allot more ads though.

Well bully for them! (that's a limey expression that pretty much means the same as the Aussi "Good on em") If not for the dear old CBC we'd have been swamped with US crap on radio and tv. Worth every penny I'd say.

I guess with their billion dollar budget from our taxes they can provide most anything they desire. The worth however, to the average taxpayer, is questionable. :icon_anal: But thanks to Seeker for the information as along as we are all paying for it, we might as well use the service.

By Jordan Press

OTTAWA — The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s annual funding from the federal government will be cut by $115-million over the next three years, a blow that could lead to job losses or programming cuts at Canada’s public broadcaster.

The number represents about 10% of the annual $1.1-billion injection the corporation receives from the federal government.

The cuts will start this year, with a $27.8-million reduction in government spending on the CBC’s operations, and increase to $69.6-million in 2013-14, and finally reach the $115-million savings mark by 2014-15.

The government gives over 2.8 billion dollars every year in subsidies to the oil industry but the money received by CBC is the one that scandalizes you...

http://www.iisd.org/media/press.aspx?id=179

Try thinking about it in a different way Malcolm, your tax dollars are going to the oil industry and mine and Mitch's are going to pay for CBC.

Cheers

Lovely. Oil prices have been dropping and the price of gas should be about 20 cents less than where it is, but we're giving them $2.8 billion a year in subsidies. Sorry, but I just don't get it.

It always entertains me to hear "Alberta is paying it's share". Alberta, through no fault of it's own, has oil. The citizens are no different then in other provinces... In most cases, they are from other provinces. Ontarians that were unable to find jobs went west, same for Newfoundlanders. The province's wealth is a pure hazard... you take away the oil, and the province would barely register. A bunch of cattle grazing the prairie and some ski resorts. The wealth of Alberta has nothing to do with you Malcolm... You and I are paying taxes and they are going to pay for the services we use. In your case, your paying less taxes so probably doing less then your "fair share". On top of it, the province you promote is polluting like crazy and it's not exactly managing that aspect of the industry in a responsible manner... (my opinion of course) If you had a carbon tax to pay, Quebec would come out ahead of Alberta... (that would bring other problems to la belle province were corruption is king but that is for another subject)

If you want to educate yourself on taxes, try the latest talk from TED.

It's a talk from Nick Hanauer, a Billionaire who made his money in the Tech industry. He explains the role of the rich "Job Creators" in the world... You might not agree with his view but since you brought up taxes, I think its pertinent.

Cheers

"Significant privileges have come to people like me - capitalists - for being perceived as job creators at the centre of the economic universe, and the language and metaphors we use to defend the current economic and social arrangements is telling. It's a small jump from job creator to "the" creator. This language is obviously not chosen by accident. When somebody calls themselves a job creator, we are not only describing how the economy works, but more particularly, we're making a claim on status and privileges that we deserve."

Now there's a wealthy man who should run for president. On second thought, he's too honest. :closedeyes:

Nice dismissal of Alberta as province that "barely registers". People who decry the dirty oil are the same ones who have usually don't know the facts and can't face the pragmatic reality that oil drives world wide economies. Unfortunately this attitude of condescension is far too typical.

As far as the original post about CBC, taxes, etc. The subsidies the Oil industy receives are tax breaks on exploration and reduced royalties rather than cash payments like the CBC receives (still a subsidy by the strictest definition). The jobs created by these subsidy far exceed those created by the CBC.

That being said I enjoy many aspects of the CBC. The morning radio is a staple for me and I think they do a good job with news when they can put their bias aside. The CBC needs a tighter mandate and reduced funding. I don't see why taxpayers should be on the hook for more episodes of Blades of Glory.

In the spirit of interprovincial bonhommie I would like to point out that PQ girls have a generally good sense of style and Montreal is one of my favorite places on Earth - duck fat poutine...yum. I don't even feel the usual need to mention the absolute shame of the subsidized Asbestos industry (its okay to kill those pesky third worlders) to those who yell about the oil sands.

I must have ruffled some feathers...

Chock, the statement makes more sense in context.

The province's wealth is a pure hazard... you take away the oil, and the province would barely register. A bunch of cattle grazing the prairie and some ski resorts.

Right now it's an economic powerhouse. I do not contest that. It was not the intent of my statement to minimize the importance of your province. Lets face it, jobs are created there and oil is coming from there. Take the oil away and the province would be a fragment of its present self. Do you contest that?

I have the same line of thought on The Asbestos problem...

Ditto on your statement for Blades of Glory. lol

I must have ruffled some feathers...

Chock, the statement makes more sense in context.

Right now it's an economic powerhouse. I do not contest that. It was not the intent of my statement to minimize the importance of your province. Lets face it, jobs are created there and oil is coming from there. Take the oil away and the province would be a fragment of its present self. Do you contest that?

I have the same line of thought on The Asbestos problem...

Ditto on your statement for Blades of Glory. lol

I thonk we probably agree on many issues more than we disagree. My apologies if you were not being dismissive but the first thing lost in a lot of internet discussion is tone and context.

I don't disagree that if Alberta does not have oil the economics and population here are probably different however it is really impossible to say what life would be like here. I am an economic immigrant from the Prairies and I would no longer say "if it wasn't for the oil" about Alberta than I would say "If it wasn't for the oceans" about BC or "if it wasn't for the manufacturing" about Ontario. I am usually fairly pragmatic and I think you play the hands you are dealt.

It could also be a matter of watching political leaders, supposed intellectuals and others demonize what is a great resource for the entire country. When the oil finally runs out we can debate back and forth how PQ having so much hydro electricity is hurting Canada :)

No, no, no - this is a thread about music - no highjacking it - please delete all that political discussion and start your own thread!

No, no, no - this is a thread about music - no highjacking it - please delete all that political discussion and start your own thread!

Seeker,

Have you tried ABC (Australian Broadcast Corporation) and BBC? They also have very good public radios streaming music.

http://www.abc.net.au/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/

Most of the world's public radios can be counted on to offer superior, ad free music and or programming.

Archived