Question for the closet meteorologists in the crowd

Mitch Cronin

Somewhere around North Bay at around noonish today, at whatever altitude we were at (for a test flight), we saw some very strange looking cloud formations... they looked like inverted cones sitting on top of a stratus layer of cloud! Honest to goodness! ...like upside-down funnels. The skipper said they were "very rare", but didn't know what to call them, and didn't really explain (we were busy "testing" after all) what caused them.... Does anyone here know?

Mtch: Did they look anything like you can find on this page?

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/43ancients/02files/Cloud_Images_Lenticular_01.html

Nosir, not a one. ....smooth, round, inverted cones, but with a curved up-slope... with their bases embedded in a lumpy layer of cloud below... there were at least three of them nearby... :Scratch-Head:

Interesting.

And please, in deference to Peppermint Patty, don't call me sir...

I'm stumped.

There's another thread here today about "super-cells".

I've never seen one. My first reaction was the pix were a fraud.

But your story is first-hand. In the words of my favourite group, "I Can't Explain".

I came back from Europe yesterday and saw two instances of what appeared to be jetstream-induced wavelike formations. In once case, we requested an "immediate" climb as soon as we got in range of Gander Center to get above one set of them. They looked very rough. The first set was at about 55 west at SCROD and the second set was near Charlevoix (ML).

I caught the second set (much less rough looking) on camera.

IMG_9149.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg

I was too preoccupied in getting hold of Gander for the climb to think to take a picture of the first set.

Once on top of the first set it was smooth but a mountain-wave-like ride.... plus/minus 300 ft/min on the VSI but no real altitude change.

Depending on the angle at which you observed them, it's possible that they appeared to be cone-like. I don't recall ever seeing anything quite so wavelike and certainly not two in a day.

The atmosphere over Quebec and Ontario was mean all day yesterday. Moderate chop/turbulence almost all the way in from the coast. Gonna be a nasty winter, methinks.

Somewhere around North Bay at around noonish today, at whatever altitude we were at (for a test flight), we saw some very strange looking cloud formations... they looked like inverted cones sitting on top of a stratus layer of cloud! Honest to goodness! ...like upside-down funnels. The skipper said they were "very rare", but didn't know what to call them, and didn't really explain (we were busy "testing" after all) what caused them.... Does anyone here know?

How about these ?

http://www.collthings.co.uk/2008/02/eery-mammatus-clouds.html

....nope, and nope.... sigh.... I'll post a picture if I ever see one... I normally would have had my camera with me, but one of my dogs had decided it was a toy, and it didn't survive the "play". :wacko:

These ... whatever they were... were very smooth, very round, sort of bell-shaped things... (that probably describes them better than "upside-down cones") ...except their tops were quite narrow... :/?:

Archived