Feds will force an end to any Jazz strike; Raitt

dagger

I would like to know which 12 communities are served only by Jazz and if there are any other transportation options.

Taking a quick look through the June OAG (any corrections appreciated) ...

Jazz serves 52 destinations in Canada, of those I could only find 8 that are only served by Jazz and no other airline.

Sandspit (YZP) - 2 daily DH8

Fort St John (YXJ) - 4 daily CRJ

Penticton (YYF) - 3 daily DH8

Castelgar (YCG) - 3 daily DH8

Gaspe (YGP) - 2 daily DH8

Iles de la Madeleine (YGR) - 2 daily DH8

Mont Joli (YYY) - 2 daily DH8

Bathurst (ZBF) - 2 daily DH8

Of note are these 5 airports that are served by other airlines, but don't have convienent competitive routes to a major center.

Sault Ste Marie (YAM) - 7 daily DH8 (drive to YSB)

Timmins (YTS) - 6 daily DH8 (drive to YSB)

North Bay (YYB) - 4 daily DH8 (drive to YYZ/YOW)

London (YXU) - 13 daily DH8 (drive to YYZ)

Windsor (YQG) - 7 daily DH8 (drive to YYZ)

Of those 52 Jazz destinations, 15 are also served by Air Canada, and an additional 4 are also served by Air Canada (Tier 3)

That leaves 20 Jazz destinations that have direct competition available from these other airlines

WestJet

Hawkair

Pacific Coastal

Provincial Airlines

Air Creebec

Pascan Aviation

First Air

Canadian North

Air North

Of the 8 cities only served by Jazz, it would appear that Fort St John, given it's location and 4 daily CRJ flights, would be one of the most effected. And surprise surprise, Fort St John is located in the Conservative Prince George—Peace River Riding with none other than Jay Hill the elected Honourable Member.

Federal Government Vetoing Right To Strike

Lee-AnnGraffVinson, Global News, June 18, 2010

As Jazz Air pilots and flight attendants labour into their second week of negotiations, Federal Labour Minister Lisa Raitt invited the ALPA (Airline Pilot's Association) and Jazz Air management representatives to Ottawa earlier this week.

While Ms. Raitt was available for 72 hours of these negotiations, her part took on a more biased role. "I am disappointed to report that Jazz Air and pilot negotiations have not resulted in a new agreement," she told the House of Commons. "Although no formal strike or lockout has been given, our government is taking action to prevent travelers from being stranded".

While Ms. Raitt may be more concerned with the upcoming summer vacationers, herself and the House of Commons possibly being included in this group, Jazz Air pilots remain without a satisfactory contract. "The Jazz pilots are seeking a contract that recognizes their contribution to the success of the airline. The senior management of this airline refuses to meaningfully share any of the proceeds of success with the frontline employees who are responsible for delivering the company's record-setting operational performance. It is not that Jazz is unable to meet the reasonable expectations of the pilots – it is that they are simply unwilling to do so," said Captain Brian Shury, Chairman of the Jazz Master Executive Council (MEC).

Jay Hill, the government leader, in the House of Commons and Raitt are concerned that a work stoppage would affect business travellers, communities that rely on tourism, and Canadian families planning summer holidays.

What should be the concern, is a company unwilling to pay their workers what they are worth. A legislation back to work by government is typically reserved for "essential service" fields. While Jazz Air may be the only flight service to a handful of communities, car and bus access still exists. These communities will not remain stranded or unable to access food and medical supplies.

Earlier in the year, another legislation back to work was given. This was for the B.C. Paramedics who were ordered back to work prior to the 2010 Winter Olympics. They are still without a contract.

In a May 25th statement to AvStop.com, Captain John Prater, ALPA president, said, "While the Jazz Air pilots consider a strike a matter of last resort, this vote demonstrates their steadfast unity in achieving their contract goals. If Jazz Air pilots declare a strike, it will be conducted with the extensive resources and the full backing of the 53,000 pilots represented by ALPA".

One has to question the validity of the governments interference in the Jazz Air negotiations. Is it wise to take away a union's right to strike simply to allow travellers to be able to take their summer vacations. Would that mean that when the CAW (Canadian Auto Worker's Association) feels the need to strike for better working conditions and a fair wage, that the government will feel the need to step in again to prevent a possible loss to the economy and the inability to purchase one's favorite vehicle?

A frightening pattern is emerging with the Conservative government. Although only in power with a minority, they seem to be taking away the rights of Canadian workers to fight for stability in their chosen fields. Unions' are what keep employers in check. We do not need to go back to the 1800's when death rates soared due to poor workings conditions and employers lived high off the hog while the meanial workers starved.

The Jazz Air pilots took a 15 percent pay cut in 2003. They are asking for a modest increase, one that will bring them close to the rate of inflation in the last six years that Jazz Air has been making a bountiful profit, as CEO's Joseph Randall's 88% pay increase in the last five years, bringing him to $567,039 plus bonuses will attest.

Perhaps the conservative government should think about what a legislation back to work would mean to the pilot group of Jazz Air. Essentially, this back to work order, even though Ms. Raitt had later recinded her statement, hinders any bargaining ability ALPA may have had. It tells Jazz Air that no matter what they offer, the pilot group will have to accept or be ordered back to work.

In a country where we pride ourselves on democracy and freedom of speech, the Conservative Party's decision to take away a person's right to fair working conditions is a poor one. One that certainly will be reflected come the next election. Union worker's stand strong and proud, and they will fight for their abilitiy to remain free.

While a Jazz strike would be a major inconvienence I hardly see their route network providing an essential service. Liberals/NDP/Block do your homework on this.

Taking a quick look through the June OAG (any corrections appreciated) ...

Jazz serves 52 destinations in Canada, of those I could only find 8 that are only served by Jazz and no other airline.

Sandspit (YZP) - 2 daily DH8

Fort St John (YXJ) - 4 daily CRJ

Penticton (YYF) - 3 daily DH8

Castelgar (YCG) - 3 daily DH8

Gaspe (YGP) - 2 daily DH8

Iles de la Madeleine (YGR) - 2 daily DH8

Mont Joli (YYY) - 2 daily DH8

Bathurst (ZBF) - 2 daily DH8

Of note are these 5 airports that are served by other airlines, but don't have convienent competitive routes to a major center.

Sault Ste Marie (YAM) - 7 daily DH8 (drive to YSB)

Timmins (YTS) - 6 daily DH8 (drive to YSB)

North Bay (YYB) - 4 daily DH8 (drive to YYZ/YOW)

London (YXU) - 13 daily DH8 (drive to YYZ)

Windsor (YQG) - 7 daily DH8 (drive to YYZ)

Of those 52 Jazz destinations, 15 are also served by Air Canada, and an additional 4 are also served by Air Canada (Tier 3)

That leaves 20 Jazz destinations that have direct competition available from these other airlines

WestJet

Hawkair

Pacific Coastal

Provincial Airlines

Air Creebec

Pascan Aviation

First Air

Canadian North

Air North

Of the 8 cities only served by Jazz, it would appear that Fort St John, given it's location and 4 daily CRJ flights, would be one of the most effected. And surprise surprise, Fort St John is located in the Conservative Prince George—Peace River Riding with none other than Jay Hill the elected Honourable Member.

While a Jazz strike would be a major inconvienence I hardly see their route network providing an essential service. Liberals/NDP/Block do your homework on this.

YFC is only served by Jazz for YUL,YYZ

I didn't include YFC as they are also served by Air Canada Tier 3 (Georgian) with 4 daily to YHZ. In YHZ you could then connect on AC/WJ/PD to YUL/YOW/YYZ/YTZ. Another option would be to drive to YQM and connect on WJ/PD to YYZ/YOW.

I forgot to include Porter to the list of competing airlines. YHZ-YYT/YHZ-YUL/YHZ-YOW/YQM-YOW, plus the routes out of YTZ to YQT/YSB/YOW/YUL.

Moderate Chop - like many others your research did not provide you with all the facts.

As for Fort Saint John, while it may be true that Jazz is the only carrier that provides direct to YVR service, there are other options to get out of there besides cars, canoes and buses. The smaller airlines could no doubt alter their skeds to fill in any gaps.

Look at this bit of history:

Arrivals

Time Airline Flight # From Days

08:10 CMA 791 Edmonton Calgary Tuesday

Wednesday

09:25 SAI 606 Dawson Crk Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

09:35 CMA 795 Edmonton Calgary Thursday

Friday

09:35 CMA 795 Edmonton Calgary Monday

09:45 CMA 743 Prince George Kamloops Kelowna Thursday

Friday

09:45 CMA 743 Prince George Kamloops Kelowna Monday

09:53 AC 8181 Vancouver Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

10:45 CMA 743 Prince George Kamloops Kelowna Tuesday

Wednesday

11:55 CMA 799 Edmonton Calgary Sunday

12:05 CMA 793 Edmonton Calgary Saturday

12:18 AC 8183 Vancouver Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

13:10 CMA 747 Prince George Kamloops Kelowna Sunday

14:25 SAI 603 Ft Nelson Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

14:30 CMA 794 Ft Nelson Saturday

15:23 AC 8185 Vancouver Saturday

15:30 CMA 748 Ft Nelson Tuesday

Wednesday

15:30 CMA 748 Ft Nelson Sunday

15:53 AC 8185 Vancouver Sunday

15:53 AC 8185 Vancouver Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

16:00 CMA 796 Ft Nelson Monday

16:00 CMA 796 Ft Nelson Thursday

Friday

17:35 CMA 792 Ft Nelson Dawson Crk Van Tuesday

Wednesday

17:40 CMA 803 Dawson Creek Vancouver Sunday

19:48 AC 8187 Vancouver Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Sunday

Departures

Time Airline Flight # To Days

08:35 CMA 791 Ft Nelson Dawson Crk Van Tuesday

Wednesday

10:00 CMA 795 Ft Nelson Monday

10:00 CMA 795 Ft Nelson Thursday

Friday

10:05 CMA 743 Ft Nelson Tuesday

Wednesday

10:20 AC 8182 Vancouver Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

10:45 SAI 606 Ft Nelson Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

12:25 CMA 793 Ft Nelson Saturday

12:35 CMA 804 Dawson Creek Vancouver Sunday

12:45 AC 8184 Vancouver Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

13:30 CMA 747 Ft Nelson Sunday

14:05 SAI 615 Dawson Crk Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

14:55 CMA 794 Edmonton Saturday

16:00 CMA 748 Prince George Kamloops Kelowna Tuesday

Wednesday

16:20 CMA 748 Prince George Kamloops Kelowna Sunday

16:20 CMA 748 Prince George Kamloops Kelowna Thursday

Friday

16:20 CMA 748 Prince George Kamloops Kelowna Monday

16:20 AC 8186 Vancouver Sunday

16:20 AC 8186 Vancouver Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

16:50 AC 8186 Vancouver Saturday

17:05 CMA 796 Edmonton Calgary Monday

17:05 CMA 796 Edmonton Calgary Thursday

Friday

18:05 CMA 792 Edmonton Calgary Tuesday

Wednesday

18:05 CMA 792 Edmonton Calgary Sunday

20:15 AC 8188 Vancouver Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Sunday

As for Fort Saint John, while it may be true that Jazz is the only carrier that provides direct to YVR service, there are other options to get out of there besides cars, canoes and buses.

I'm not sure what you are looking at ? The June OAG and June Air Canada timetables only show Jazz operating out of Fort St John, no other airlines, Jazz is currently the only option by air as far as I can see. But I agree, CMA could alter their schedule.

The smaller airlines could no doubt alter their skeds to fill in any gaps.

I'm sure Randall can find all kinds of scab airlines to fill in (unfortunately). I don't see a Jazz strike isolating any community to the point where they should be classified as an essential service and legislated back to work, IMO.

Randall won't be finding anybody to fill anything. It will be all AC. Jazz will be effectively LOCKED OUT and AC will need to hire other carriers for the "Feeder" stuff. No doubt there will be countless other operators willing to kow-tow to the master airline. Now could be a good time for professional pilots to show their stuff. You want to be professional? Then be professional!

GTFA

I'm not sure what you are looking at ? The June OAG and June Air Canada timetables only show Jazz operating out of Fort St John, no other airlines, Jazz is currently the only option by air as far as I can see.

I believe that the information is from the airport website. However, the introductory paragraph does indicate that it was the current schedule as of February 9th, 2009:

NPAS Scheduled Flights

It does appear that CMA is still operating flights in addition to Jazz.

Pictues, you are correct in part though I think it was prior to the merger. At the time the Minister summoned both sides to Ottawa, as in the case with Jazz however no statement that I can find indicates that the Minister got up in the House and threatened to use Back to Work Legislation. I certainly recall that it was mentioned, though perhaps it was mentioned (in the Media) in the context of what options were open to the Government.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2000/07/18/pilots000718.html

Like i said i wasn't 100% sure how it went down, but thankx for finding the link

It does appear that CMA is still operating flights in addition to Jazz.

Ah okay I see what you mean now, on CMA's website they are showing YXJ-YKA service, these flights aren't listed in the OAG for some reason (another reason to cancel my subscription). Thanks.

Ah okay I see what you mean now, on CMA's website they are showing YXJ-YKA service, these flights aren't listed in the OAG for some reason (another reason to cancel my subscription). Thanks.

Good catch CD. I was looking for a link to show the current arrivals/departures when I found the data that I posted. Did not notice the date so I'm not sure if it is still current but it probably is pretty close.

As for the OAG - is that a database that only shows sponsor companies? If the CMA flights are not listed perhaps there are similar examples for all the airports mentioned.

Archived