Feds will force an end to any Jazz strike; Raitt

dagger

I didn't realize hitching a ride to YSB in a clapped out Dash 8 was an essential service.

There is LOTS of lift available to fill the void if Jazz strikes. This is a stupid politial move.

However, if somehow it's passed, the precedent it sets is very, very bad for anyone with a job in any industry in this country...

(i.e. pretty much everyone that's not on the public dime)

Parliament just ended tonight for the summer. Are they really going to recall parliament to end a strike? I thought Collen-nuts was a dummy but Lisa R takes the cake.

Come on, I don't think they let her out of cage for fresh air without vetting her statements in advance. If there is one thing about this government that seems beyond debate, it's that most of what it does is heavily scripted. So why would you believe that her comment was free-lancing? There is absolutely no way she could say something like this - I mean recalling Parliament is something only the PM could determine - without have been spoken to by Her Master's Voice. She's like the other 20-odd Nippers in this cabinet - they express independent thought at their peril.

Dagger is right. Parliament could be recalled at the drop of a pin. (Or writ?)

But: For the guvmint to get involved in a private company's dispute like this is, I think, unprecedented. I could see a Charter challenge here if they ever go ahead with it.

But: For the guvmint to get involved in a private company's dispute like this is, I think, unprecedented. I could see a Charter challenge here if they ever go ahead with it.

A charter challenge? Go for it. What's ACPA's record on charter challenges?Scratch-Head.gif

Parliament just ended tonight for the summer. Are they really going to recall parliament to end a strike? I thought Collen-nuts was a dummy but Lisa R takes the cake.

Think about the issue from a political perspective:

- Those most affected by a Jazz strike are in rural Canada, Conservative heartland in the West and Liberal troublespot in Ontario (e.g. Northern ON could go Conservative in the next election and be king maker for Harper).

- Calling parliment back helps he Conservatives because they are anti-union and back-to-work will help their constituents get to summer vacation.

- Iggy and co need a issue that divides them from NDP (quashes alliance/merger rumors)

- The Liberals cannot afford to lose Northern ON and the few remaining rural seats they have left. Liberal support will pass through the back to work legislation despite NDP and Bloc opposition.

- Recalling parliament helps to demonstrate that Harper learned a lesson from poroguation.

So from a political perspective, what's the other side of the story. Besides the NDP and Bloc (their pro-union at all costs), what is the Liberal arguement for opposing back-to-work legislation to keep the travel industry moving and let Canadians go on vacation.

Think about the issue from a political perspective:

- Those most affected by a Jazz strike are in rural Canada, Conservative heartland in the West and Liberal troublespot in Ontario (e.g. Northern ON could go Conservative in the next election and be king maker for Harper).

- Calling parliment back helps he Conservatives because they are anti-union and back-to-work will help their constituents get to summer vacation.

- Iggy and co need a issue that divides them from NDP (quashes alliance/merger rumors)

- The Liberals cannot afford to lose Northern ON and the few remaining rural seats they have left. Liberal support will pass through the back to work legislation despite NDP and Bloc opposition.

- Recalling parliament helps to demonstrate that Harper learned a lesson from poroguation.

So from a political perspective, what's the other side of the story. Besides the NDP and Bloc (their pro-union at all costs), what is the Liberal arguement for opposing back-to-work legislation to keep the travel industry moving and let Canadians go on vacation.

I wouldn't even count on the bloc. AC has been pretty good at lobbying them and who do you think serves those markets like Chicoutimi/Bagotville, the Gaspe, etc.

The key would be something approaching a fair arbitration process. Only the NDP would oppose back to work legis on principle alone, irrespective of the contents of the bill.

For that matter, the threat of BTW legislation should focus Jazz management because arbitration might not yield their preferred terms.

Guest rozar s'macco

My understanding of back to work legislation/arbitration is that the arbitrator is obligated to treat the issue as if the strike had occurred. Not sure how that is applied in practice.

A charter challenge? Go for it. What's ACPA's record on charter challenges?Scratch-Head.gif

Well for the first thing, ACPA is not involved. ALPA is. They have deep pockets but I somehow doubt their American leadership would be interested unless pressed. The overriding issue is why do we even have a Labour Code if Parliament decides to run rough-shod over it, or any other piece of legislation? Why not just make it illegal to strike in Canada? Like it used to be? Let the bean counters rule.

Employees don't create unions. Bad, insensitive management does.

Back to work legislation tabled twice by Harper government against CN Rail in Feb/07 and Nov/09.

They would have to be deemed an Essential service to be leglislated back to work. Weren't they leglislated back last time?

No, if memory serves neither the AC or Regional strikes in the 90's were ended by back to work legislation. Hopefully this heavy-handed attempt at union busting by the Tories will unite the labour force at AC & Jazz faster than you can say work-to-rule. After all, if it happens to one group this time, it will happen to the other the next.

props2you, if my memory serves me right (I could be wrong) the federal liberals did warn/threaten the Air Canada Pilots to legislate them back to work if they went on strike the last time they were in a position to strike, just after the merger I believe. But as I said I could be wrong.

Attention all unions: "We herby legislate you back to work..."

-You mean we only have to work to the contract?...Yes

-We are an essential service then?...I guess so.

-You will remove the right to strike now and set increases in pay and benefits due to the loss of labor rights?...Can't wait to see the excuse for not doing that.

-We get a mediated/arbitrated contract?....Yes

Sounds like a win win for labor. Besides, could an airline strike drive a country into recession?...Yes....must be an essential service then.

LOL too bad folks who work so hard for our country are not recognized on payday. Here's to all aircrew in Canada.

Pictues, you are correct in part though I think it was prior to the merger. At the time the Minister summoned both sides to Ottawa, as in the case with Jazz however no statement that I can find indicates that the Minister got up in the House and threatened to use Back to Work Legislation. I certainly recall that it was mentioned, though perhaps it was mentioned (in the Media) in the context of what options were open to the Government.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2000/07/18/pilots000718.html

Business of the House

Hon. Jay Hill (Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, CPC):

Mr. Speaker, I think if you seek it, you may find unanimous consent for the following motion. I move:

That, notwithstanding any Standing Order or usual practice of the House, when the House adjourns today, it shall stand adjourned until Monday, September 20, 2010, provided that, for the purposes of Standing Order 28, it shall be deemed to have sat on Friday, June 18, Monday, June 21, Tuesday, June 22, and Wednesday, June 23, 2010.

Mr. Speaker, if the House accepts this, I would wish all hon. members a pleasant summer. Hopefully, we will not have to return to pass back-to-work legislation in the Jazz Air labour dispute.

The Speaker:

Does the hon. government House leader have the unanimous consent of the House to propose this motion?

Some hon. members: Agreed.

The Speaker: The House has heard the terms of the motion. Is it the pleasure of the House to adopt the motion?

Some hon. members: Agreed.

The Speaker: I declare the motion carried and I join the House leader in wishing all hon. members the very best for a pleasant summer.

Mr. Speaker, if the House accepts this, I would wish all hon. members a pleasant summer. Hopefully, we will not have to return to pass back-to-work legislation in the Jazz Air labour dispute.

Also: Twelve communities rely exclusively on Jazz for air travel, including Prince Rupert, British Columbia, making the measure necessary, Raitt said.

Could anyone please elaborate? Prince Rupert is also served by Hawkair. Where is the hardship? Could she disguise any more thinly that she is pandering to the woes of AC?

GTFA

props2you, if my memory serves me right (I could be wrong) the federal liberals did warn/threaten the Air Canada Pilots to legislate them back to work if they went on strike the last time they were in a position to strike, just after the merger I believe. But as I said I could be wrong.

I was thinking of the '98 AC strike. There's a difference between threatening "back to work" in closed meetings with the groups involved, and doing it in the national media. The Tories have no finesse. :td:

What needs to be done is if ALPA bargaining reps are unsuccessful in a TA. File and when government reconvenes for this new bill, which will affect all of us at some point, all union heads (Teamsters, CAW, ACPA etc.) and as many members show up at parliament in protest. It will be time to remind the government “it is the people who elects the government, it is the people who can take it down”.

Archived