Are YOU really qualified ?

Kip Powick

I don't think it shows that at all... it just shows, again, that there are crooked people out there... You can find crooks and shysters and dishonest pukes just about anywhere.

Really?

The person Quami Fredrick used the phoney degree to get into the top law school in Canada and has made it all the way to third year and received good enough marks to already be offered a job at a law firm.

The lack of the batchelors education didn't hold her back.

Fido, please read your own post to find what I disagreed with. I suspect we agree that a lack of a degree is no indication of a person's intelligence, or knowledge.

Obviously there are other ways to gain knowledge, but overall, I think a degree is definitely an indication the holder knows a thing or two...

You haven't worked beside too many MBA's have you?

laugh.gif

I always thought it was great that there were no MBA's at WJA for about the first 5 or so years. The first one had a junior marketing position.

I don't believe for a second there's a coincidence between that fact and WJ's success.

cool26.gif

Really?

The person Quami Fredrick used the phoney degree to get into the top law school in Canada and has made it all the way to third year and received good enough marks to already be offered a job at a law firm.

The lack of the batchelors education didn't hold her back.

Funny. I just talked to SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) about this precise subject. Getting through the first two years of law school is a LOT harder than completing the requirements for a BA.

Here's a person who got in with a phony BA and then proceeded to succeed. How rude!!

Bottom line (lawyers like to say that)....apart from the maturation process, what goes before is basically irrelevant.

Now---for the REALLY scary---what about the lawyer who practised for years including successful court appearances, who had never actually attended law school. By extrapolation...the law school "experience" may also be irrelevant.

Now then---about those $500/hr. fees....

laugh.gif

I always thought it was great that there were no MBA's at WJA for about the first 5 or so years.  The first one had a junior marketing position.

I don't believe for a second there's a coincidence between that fact and WJ's success.

cool26.gif

History majors run the world...

How did WestJet ever get off the ground without some guy standing around rambling about what would Lee Iacocca do?

-----

Quite frankly as a lawyer - sucessfully bullshitting your way into law probably reflects better on your skill as a lawyer than a respectable GPA to go with your gender and sexuality studies undergrad degree.

Guest rozar s'macco

The MBA, six sigma, and all that other corporate religion stuff is all just a way for executives to convince themselves that the most base, corrupt, morally repugnant decisions are legitimate because they have a basis in academia and "process".

It turns managing people into managing numbers, by willfully ignoring half (or more) of the equation. The success of WJ is mostly due to the acceptance of the fact that those "processes" are BS and should be viewed with extreme suspicion.

The MBA, six sigma, and all that other corporate religion stuff is all just a way for executives to convince themselves that the most base, corrupt, morally repugnant decisions are legitimate because they have a basis in academia and "process".

It turns managing people into managing numbers, by willfully ignoring half (or more) of the equation. The success of WJ is mostly due to the acceptance of the fact that those "processes" are BS and should be viewed with extreme suspicion.

There is a lot to be said for " ready, fire, aim".

When the MBA's get involved, they tend to get paralysis by analysis, committee things to death and nothing ends up happening.

cool26.gif

Guest rattler

Seems this guy wasn't

Linea Aerea Puertorriquena TRIS near Providenciales on Dec 15th 2008, airplane missing after distress call

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Dec 16th 2008 16:37Z, last updated Friday, Dec 19th 2008 14:48Z

A Linea Aerea Puertorriquena Britten-Norman BN-2A Mk3 Trislander, registration N650LP on a charter flight from Santiago (Dominican Republic) to Mayaguana (Bahamas) with 12 people on board, disappeared from radar about 35 minutes into the flight, after the pilot had radioed a Mayday call. The airplane had departed the Dominican Republic at 4:05 local time (12:05Z).

The US Coast Guard launched a search and rescue operation early Tuesday (Dec 16th) after the news of the missing airplane were received. Two helicopters and 7 ships with 100 rescuers participate in the search operation with the base at Providenciales. According to the coast guard the airplane was enroute to Mayaguana, Bahamas to refuel for a trip to New York. The search was suspended late Wednesday (Dec 17th) without being to locate any trace of the airplane after searching 5300 square miles before the coasts of Turks and Caicos Islands and the Bahamas.

The airplane is on the airplane register of Puerto Rico belonging to Linea Aerea Puertorriquena Inc. The US Coast Guard reports however, that the airplane belongs to a company called "Atlantis Aviation". There are also references to "Atlantic Airlines".

According to the Instituto Dominicano de Aeronáutica Civil the license of the pilot had been cancelled on Oct 20th 2006. The license was withdrawn because the pilot was caught flying multiengine aircraft when he was licensed to fly helicopters only. The FAA had issued a student pilot license in March 2008. The pilot therefore was not allowed to fly the airplane.

The Dominican Civil Aviation Authority reported, that a flightplan was filed showing the airplane's destination to be on the Bahamas.

The are still (Dec 17th) many conflicting reports around, most identifying Providenciales (Turks and Caicos Islands) as the destination of the flight. But the FAA reported, that the airplane had taken off Providenciales, the airport authority however having no records, that the airplane had landed at the airport that day.

The owner of Linea Aerea Puertorriquena reported, that the airplane was for sale. A trusted pilot brought the airplane to the Dominican Republic for inspections, from where the airplane was stolen. The trusted pilot reported, that the airplane was to be checked out by a potential buyer (the pilot at the controls of the crash) and he was expected to occupy the right hand seat, but refused to do so, when the buyer turned up with 11 passengers. The buyer then took the airplane without authorisation.

In WD we actually had a Captain on the A310s that was not qualified and he never really told anyone. He had joined with quite a bit of flight time and a TC ATR............trouble was he never qualified for the ATR endorsement, (it was a requirement for employment with WD).

Prior to being hired at WD he renewed his Commercial Licence and by accident TC sent him an ATR endorsed licence, he applied to WD and was hired. The issue never came to light until a few years later when an audit was done..

I had a couple of trips with him and he certainly was competent. He was removed from flying status and I don't know where he is/went.

Archived