OT - Dogs

I couldn't see any sense in continuing a discussion about dogs in a thread with the title of that last one, ...I felt a new thread was needed.

Newgirl is right on the mark. The owner is entirely responsible for the sort of dog they have... The time the dog owner spends with the dog is a big part of what they'll become... not just time sitting around with them, but doing stuff that helps you get to know each other and build trust. That implies owner trusting dog (the reciprical is a given -until sufficient reason is provided to lose it). When the owner doesn't trust the dog, he/she is uneasy... dog can/will read uneasy as meaning threat is nearby... the dog may conclude this nearby child is the threat. sad.gif

You can train a smart dog to respond to the slightest wag of a finger or a wink of an eye... dogs read people. They study and are aware of all sorts of things you'd never imagine... not just smells, but all manner of body language and facial expressions... A smart dog can read all such things from people they know with ease, and most of them could read strangers and the flavour of their intent extremely well also.

In defence of German Shepherd's, I can tell you the last two I've had the honor of living with would never hurt any child... but then, I speak Dog, so that helps. biggrin.gif

to Mitch's point. My dog responds to my hand position for Sit, Stay and Roll Over. I can use either voice or hand commands. He learned it quite by mistake since I never realized I was doing it. Pretty cool though.

I hope that when considering getting a dog that you check out local shelters and/or Humane Societies.

We got our puppy from a reputable breeder and are absolutely pleased 2 years later.

That being said if I did it all over again I would get a rescue dog and give him oe her a second chance.

Someone on the other thread recommended Labs and I concur. Ours is a completely lovable goof who loves kids (especially when he is knocking them down!)

He learned it quite by mistake since I never realized I was doing it.

Scientists have done a great deal of research on this particular phenomenon, and they have come to the conclusion that the reason this occurs is that your dog is smarter than you are. laugh.gif

Mitch is right on concerning a dog's ability to read people. Although I live in a cat house now, I had a collie-shepherd cross which came from the humane society. She was a great dog and it really hurt when I lost her after 13 years.

Almost all dogs will react in a friendly manner if they are approached by a person who is well-intentioned and shows no fear of the dog. My neighbor who has two large Burmese mountain dogs on her horse farm has called me an "animal person". Some of us just have an empathy with animals that dogs can readily detect. I feel sorry for those who have an unnatural fear of dogs. wink.gif

My neighbor who has two large Burmese mountain dogs on her horse farm has called me an "animal person".

I thought perhaps you had misspelled the name of the type of dog, and meant Bernese Mountain Dog, which are great big lovable dogs.

I had never heard of a Burmese Mountain Dog until now.

Live and learn.

I decided to try using hand commands with my dog when he was about 6 years old and he picked it up very quickly. All you need to do is give the hand signal when you speak the command. The hardest one is the "quit barking" . My dog does it but you can hear him grumbling under his breath. As Mitch said sometimes just the finger wag or looking over the tops of your glasses at them is enough to remind them who's the Alpha in this pack.

Through the years I have given my condolences to those who have lost friends. Today I take my buddy to his last visit with the Vet. He has bladder cancer and it's time. We've done our last long walk together , our last grooming and the last walk to pick up the mail. Geez, I'm gonna miss him. For those of us who always have a bunch of furballs running around the house, there are some that are just special and he is one of two.

mo32a

Thanks for the correction. I had never seen the word in print, just assumed it was Burmese. They really are big loveable dogs. The male is very friendly but his sister is the yappy one and some are intimidated by her. Once she settles down she is just fine.

newgirl

Sorry to hear your sad news. There is something about the loss of a dog that hurts a lot and unfortunately this hurt lingers for a long time. It may help to think of all the good years that you provided for them as well as the love that was returned. sad.gif

sad.gif ....Very sorry Newgirl... Cudos to you for having the courage to do for him what he needs most now. That's a vet visit none of us ever wants to make, but we know we have to at some point... Ouch... sad.gif ....

Timothy,

Like Mo, I thought you'd mispelled the name... (and if you were talking about the big black white and brown loveable Swiss mountain dogs, then you did), but evidently there is a "Burmese Mountain Dog" which looks like someone wanted to rename a German Shepherd ...to me anyway... Now I'm puzzled!

...Here's ours at 3 months- (his dad was a Bernese Mountain Dog - "Berner" for short - but his mom was mixed Berner and Lab - so we were told... - a purebred will have lots more white than this guy has on him... but in all the same places.:

Great looking dog there Mitch! I can't wait for a camera company to come up with "green eye reduction" for digital cameras so us dog lovers can get better pictures of our friends without resorting to Photoshop.

Newgirl:

So sorry to hear about your friend. I hope that some day soon the hole in your heart can be filled by many pleasant memories of your time with him.

Thanks everyone.

I'm already working on my second box of Kleenex.

Charge was a gentleman to the end and died quickly and peacefully.

He was the envy of many dog owners in my neighbourhood as they would watch him follow me off leash and wonder why their dog didn't do the same. Mitch said he spoke dog and I guess I do too. Charge would sit 5 houses away for hours if I told him to sit and stay. He was an exceptional dog.

I'd forgotten how much it hurts to look for them in the usual places and realize they ain't gonna be there anymore! Where's the kleenex?

Archived