Toronto Real Estate Info

Mitch Cronin

- $1,000,000 will buy you almost any home of your choice -excluding only the best, in the best neighborhoods.

- $500,000 will buy you a decent home in a decent neighborhood

- $300,000 will buy you a home

- $250,000 will by you something someone might call a house

Outside of the city.... the further you drive, up to about an hour away from the airport, all those categories shift by one.

There are some odd exceptions to those though... such as in areas that were previously run down neighborhoods that became popular for some reason... There are horrible little houses in some places that could sell for $500,000 because all the new neighbors have money and are razing the horrible little houses to put up monster "executive" homes.... So half the neighbors will have a a BMW in the driveway, and the other half will be trying to stoke up their coal fired used-to-be-a-car thing in the mornings.

Good luck, if it happens. cool.gif

(but that's a bargain compared to YVR)

Not when you consider YYZ is a concrete hole in what used to be rather flat farmland, populated by a lopsided number of people with questionable character.... and YVR is a gorgeous city nestled between mountains and ocean, and filled with fine people, with even finer surroundings a stones throw (or a quick ride in a Beaver) away. wink.gif

I'd say I'm well travelled and I've had the chance to live in five fine provinces, The Yukon, and NWT, and you won't find any argument here that Vancouver is the best place to live in the world. (ok, but I'm slightly biased having grown up there)

Guest long keel
ok - i'm a first time 'maybe' buyer - what do you guys think of this?

http://www.kingtowns.ca/flash.htm

Careful Beth,

Under 1300.00 usually means 25-30 year mortgage, (possibly variable rate which isn't a bad thing, but means the amount will float up or down), and there are no controls on condo fee's unlike rent. Does this include parking?

But... its not a bad spot in town. Buy it based on the asset value, and if you can dump it and not go broke vs. what the current monthly payment is.

Good luck

ty Long:

I do not need parking - but I am looking for a 5 year lock in for all relevant variables they control (i.e. condo fees). However, I am worried about the all inclusive aspect - it is actually what attracts me the most, but I need to understand it......for instance how can hydro costs be wholly included etc.

Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Guest long keel

Hi Beth,

Here are a few things that come to mind.

Never trust an MLS agent. There are many good ones out there, but they still are compensated by the end sale cost in terms of a return commision.

If you don't live in the neighbourhood, spend a couple of afternoons down there as a pedestrian to make sure it has all you need. You may prefer a smaller high park or downtown condo, if it is a short walk to better restaurants, library, theaters etc.

No matter how good the deal is, always be prepared to walk over a few dollars. Sales people will really try to test your mettle and drive up prices as you get close to closing with extras. If it gets stressful, just stand up and go for a walk, it drives commission sales types nuts. When negotiating, stress you are buying for investment as opposed to lifestyle. An investor has more price concerns, than someone chasing lifestyle. Show no passion for what it is you wish to buy.

Make sure you budget for the closing costs of transfer taxes and inspection if buying used.

Consider the open rate mortgages and visit www.monstermortgage.ca. To compare with what your bank is offering. Ususally you can do better through a mortgage broker than on your own.

Smile, and know in a few decades it's all yours. biggrin.gif

All you Toronto slaggers are just jealous! wink.gif

After hearing stories of the temperate climate, a Toronto couple decided to retire in Vancouver. Due to personal commitments, they were forced to sign the deal for their apartment sight unseen. A leap of faith, but the promise of "no winter" made it worth the risk.

Three months later, they arrived in their new city, unfortunately on a rather rainy day. After unpacking their things, they decided to go for a walk and check out the neighbourhood. As they strolled in the rain under their umbrellas, they came upon a little boy, dressed in a rain slicker, hat and Wellington boots, riding his tricycle back and forth through the puddles on the sidewalk in front of his house. How cute, they thought.

The rains continued, but the couple vowed to continue their daily walks. Each day, they came upon the little boy on his tricycle, splashing through those puddles with a big grin on his face. Finally, after two weeks of walking in the rain, they were beginning to worry. As they again passed their intrepid neighbour on his tricycle, the gentleman said to the little boy, "Excuse me son, can I ask you a question?"

"I guess so", said the little boy.

"Tell me son, does it rain like this every day?"

The youngster sheepishly replied, "I don't no sir. I'm only five." biggrin.gif

I'd say I'm well travelled and I've had the chance to live in five fine provinces, The Yukon, and NWT, and you won't find any argument here that Vancouver is the best place to live in the world. (ok, but I'm slightly biased having grown up there)

Is that why you sold out and moved downtown YYC? No snow by my house this A.M. could not say the same for Calgary as we left Thursday morning. Have to go cut my lawn now. laugh.gif

Guest long keel

Yah,

It's much better to have a hepatitis spreading heroin junkie on every corner, waiting for their next government rationed hit. tongue.gif

All that rain still beats a handgun being pointed at you from a passing car which happened to a friend of mine just last year. You could not pay me to live there. thumbs_down.gif

If you think your city is immune to the gang bangers, just give it a few years. The same situation is brewing on the west coast, just taking a few years longer to develop.

Point is, there's good and bad in every town. For example, the most aggresive panhandlers I've ever seen in Canada were in downtown Calgary just last week. But I still love going there ('cause them pretty ladies more than make up for it)! wink.gif

Yup... in every crowd there's gonna be some bad meat.... if one in a hundred is off, then in a crowd of five million (GTA total pop. from 2001 census), there could be 50,000 bad ones... that's a lotta meata balls!

Rain.......it hasn't rained here in over 7 months smile.gif Actually bid LHR for the rain!!!

I lived in downtown TO (Front and Jarvis) for over 3 years and never experienced any of the so called violence and crime so many like to talk about. It certainly exists in pockets but it does so in YVR and every other city.

A good article came out last year that showed the gang vioence/crime in YVR was the worst in the country. If I can find it I'll post it.

Having said that I also just read that YVR was voted the number one best city in the world!!

Guest rattler

Trader: here you go. I understand why YOW did not make the cut but one has to question the absence of YUL. Interesting that Canada has 3 in the top 10 ........ including........... YYZ biggrin.gif

Vancouver named 'world's best city'

CTV.ca News Staff

For the fourth year in a row, Vancouver has claimed the top spot on an international ranking of the world's most livable cities.

In its annual survey of world cities, the think-tank division of London-based Economist magazine ranks the British Columbia metropolis first among 127.

To create its list, the Economist Intelligence Unit surveyed the cities, assigning each one a 'hardship rating' based on such factors as infrastructure, health care, public safety and access to goods and services.

Vancouver scored a mere one per cent.

With three Canadian cities in the Top 10, residents of Toronto and Calgary also have reason to cheer, as their cities are ranked ninth and tenth respectively.

The EIU's top 10 cities are as follows:

Vancouver

Melbourne

Vienna

Geneva

Perth

Adelaide

Sydney

Zurich

Toronto

Calgary

According to the report's editor, cities in Canada, Australia and Western Europe topped the list, largely because they are not perceived as targets for terror attacks.

At the other end of the scale, Algiers in Algeria, and Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea ranked last. The reason, the EIU said, is that "many aspects of daily life present challenges."

The EIU's bottom 10 cities:

Tehran

Douala

Harare

Abidjan

Phnom Penh

Lagos

Karachi

Dhaka

Algiers

Port Moresby

Archived