Live 8

So far, with the exception of Bruce Cockburn, the acts I've seen from Barrie have been ....uhhh... dry.gif ...but I tuned in late, maybe I've missed some good ones?

Geldoff introducing the girl from a photo of 20 years ago who is now still alive and well, was very moving.... I reeeealy wanna see Floyd! Hope I didn't miss them?

Deep Purple just blew the socks off everyone at the concert. Attendance looks much higher than the paltry crowd at about 10 this AM. They interrupted their US itinerary to be there and left immediately after their perf to Illinois.

Live 8 for the artists playing at each venue, although no timetable. It seems though that the big guns are just starting now!

The only drawback from Barrie is Tom Green. Dan Akroyd is wearing his Avro t-shirt from his Arrow performance,

laugh.gif They're just now booing Celine in Barrie... laugh.gif (she's an awesome singer... if only she didn't come across as being so conceited...)

Right on Moon. Deep purple did a great job... as did the African band... and The Great Big Sea thumbup.gif

...editing as it goes here... Lightfoot was great. Sting was great... someone please take that mike away from that Mulroney kid!

Should be interesting to read what Rex Murphy wrote! ohmy.gif

What about this: relief of 3rd world debt. Will that do anything other than allow governments of Somalia, Sudan and some of the other really, really bad ones to just buy more guns? ph34r.gif

Just sat down and watched an hour of taped highlights from the Philidelphia show. One quick comment....Destiny's Child??? I swear, one of the lyrics was: "Say my name. Tell me my name. What's my name?" as she tossed her hair and stumbled around the stage in heels. blink.gifblink.gif Now that's good entertainment! Makes me glad I don't live in Philly!

Agreed, the Hip sorta flopped... Floyd in the hangar was minus one very important member... ...Today smile.gif They were all there! And the boys did one hell of a fine job of "Money"! Waters showed he still knows damn well what made that tune so awesome the first time around! thumbs_up.gif

My favorite bit was from the Ladies "If I had a Million Dollars", and when he broke into a bit of "Tears are Not Enough" at the end... Very powerful!

Who'd have guessed it?.... after all these years.... The Who still ROCK!

That was the biggest surprise of the day! Hey Mitch: WHO was the drummer? Wazzit Simon's son, Ben? Zak left the band high and dry to join Oasis in December, scuttling Townshend's dream of a new "original" album this year.

Nobody's bitten the bait yet: is this concert going to have any real effect in an international fix to extreme poverty?

Can't wait for the DVD's!

DITTO!

Wonder how many emails Paul Martin got! (Just to keep the thread "on topic")

And if that wasn't enough to qualify the thread on AEF, WHO was the charter company mentioned by Ian Gillan FLYING them to Illinois?

Longtimer V,

I read about the Floyd performance in the hanger at YYZ many years ago. I would have given anything at the time to see it, but only found out years later - were you there? What was it like?

I am disappointed that CTV didn't show Floyd singing Comfortably Numb - you could only watch it on the internet. They were too focused on the Canadian performances, which were ho-hum at best....

Snagging Steve Morse was the best thing Deep Purple has done in years.  Does everything Blackmore could and more, minus the ego.

Long live the Dixie Dregs....

Absolutely. Ritchie was superb for what he did but was like a stale Jack Daniels with a cigarette butt in it compared to a 40 year old Scotch. Neat. wink.gif AND he drives his own C-310 around when not touring.

That was the biggest surprise of the day! Hey Mitch: WHO was the drummer? Wazzit Simon's son, Ben? Zak left the band high and dry to join Oasis in December, scuttling Townshend's dream of a new "original" album this year.

Nobody's bitten the bait yet: is this concert going to have any real effect in an international fix to extreme poverty?

Howdy Moon-meister....

I don't know WHO the drummer was... I just tried to google for that, but it's difficult for the word "who"... and with an exact search I just get old news.

Hard to replace your namesake... sad.gif

I can think of a few drummers I'd like to see there, but I guess we're a few leaps of technology away from being able to handpick various artists for whatever music we like. Now THAT would be cool! - virtual reality holographic music in surround sound... let's see... I think I'd like to hear a jam with 2 guitars -ohhh, say Hendrix, Stevie Ray... maybe Robin Trower, John Lee Hooker, or T Bone... 2 drummers -ummm, maybe Moon and Ginger Baker, or Bill Bruford biggrin.gif ... try a couple different bass players - Entwistle, Squire... Jack Bruce... John Paul Jones? (can't decide?) biggrin.gif

...anyway, a lot of good music yesterday!

Yessir, I think it can't help but have some effect... The notion was to get a message to the G8 leaders that "we'll be watchin' you"... and raise awareness of the problems. It did that! thumbs_up.gif ...if we know what problems exist, at least it begins to be possible to find solutions... we can't do that if we don't even know.

Cheers, coffee.gif

Longtimer V,

I read about the Floyd performance in the hanger at YYZ many years ago. I would have given anything at the time to see it, but only found out years later - were you there? What was it like?

I am disappointed that CTV didn't show Floyd singing Comfortably Numb - you could only watch it on the internet. They were too focused on the Canadian performances, which were ho-hum at best....

FG ... as a dyed-in-the-wool, no-hope-for-recovery Floyd fan, I was soooo dissappointed Waters had split that I didn't even bother... I listened to some of their sound check stuff... but then turned down an offer to see the concert they were rehearsing for... I'm glad for it too.... the best memory in my head of them is at Ivor Wynn Stadium in Hamilton. ... Great to see the old sods together last night! Without Waters... it just wasn't Pink Floyd anymore.

Archived