AC in YHM

Jumpy

How is AC (ZIP or Jazz) planning on going into YHM....there are hardly enough gates in Hamilton as it is (as you can see from the picture). Mr. Smith has indicated that he would like to go into Hamilton in the not too distant future. Just wondering what kind of an agreement WJ has with the YHM airport authority and if it would allow other carriers in.

What are you smoking because if you think YHM will keep other airlines out and only want Westjet in, no YHM airport is not that supid to turn away other airlines i'm sure thay will find some gate room for whom want's it.

I wish, but actually the new terminal is for everyone. Now, we may own the double bridges, but I believe they must be available to all (for a fee) just as the ex-PWA gates were to WJ in YYC.

Well..

YYC: 12 gates owned by Westjet, one by the airport authority (the double bridge).

YVR: (new terminal) 5 gates owned by the airport authority.

YEG: unsure who owns the gates. One double bridge to be installed.

YHM: (new terminal) seven gates to be owned by ?? and all seven gates are to be double bridges.

Each airport authority has already purchased these double bridges - not Westjet, so in theory any airline can use them. But I highly highly doubt that would happen.

In YYC, there are a few airlines who operate out of the D pier (is that the letter?), but Westjet does own the gates and a fee is paid to Westjet.

In YVR, the airport authority is dubbing the five gates being built for Westjet "common-use". The airport authority came to Westjet and all ideas, feedback, comments, plans, designs, and troubleshooting was done exclusively with Westjet. So while Westjet does not own the gates as Air Canada does the C pier, Westjet will be the only airline operating out of the A pier.

ECB: maybe you can provide me with some details about the expansion in YHM? I haven't heard anything aside from the fact that Westjet is getting seven double bridges. If another carrier such as Air Canada were to fly into YHM I wouldn't see the airport authority allowing them to use the double bridge.

It could be possible that the airport is also building more bridges, but I don't know? Westjet is a major factor for making YHM the airport it is today so I would think the airport authority there has a very very good relationship with Westjet.

Just my thoughts..

YYC: 12 gates owned by Westjet, one by the airport authority (the double bridge).

I think your info is a little suspect. WJ owns 7 bridges in YYC, the six on the hammerhead and the double bridge. The double bridge is a joint effort between DEW (an Ottawa company) and WestJet and can accomodate most popular narrow body aircraft from either Boeing or Airbus.

I am not sure about the other airports but my source for YYC is pretty credible.

WJ and YHM have a 'pretty good' relationship. I'm not sure who will own the gates but I do know they can't shut out another carrier.

Now, if AC wants to compete in YHM its up to them, but considering the mauling they get in YXX, I wouldn't consider it a prudent move unless its a pure Zip hub. In that case they'll probably just end up cannibalizing their YYZ ops.

Yea sorry, I don't know the exact number of gates that are on that pier.. 7 eh? The double bridge has a Westjet logo on it, and I doubt any other carrier would use it as it does require some training for use.

DEW is the companany who designed the bridge for Westjet, but the bridges themselves were purchased by the airport authorities on behalf of Westjet.

"Wallace Roueche, President of DEW, said today: "We've sold

passenger boarding bridges to 47 airports throughout North

America, but this was an opportunity to develop a new type of

bridge that extends over the wing of an aircraft to the door at

the back. We designed, built and installed a working system at

WestJet's base of operations in Calgary."

I have heard all types of debates in my life but this is the first time I have ever heard of people debating who owns how many gates and who build which gate for who! Let alone who gets to use which gate at which airport.

Well guess guess what boys, my airplane is bigger than yours!!!!

Regards,

60N30W

P.S. Are gates an issue if your have airstairs?

Guest jetblast

Gates are absolutely an issue -- airstairs or not.

Don't forget that there has to be space for passenger checkin -- bag room space, inbound arrivals space, customs space (if INTL.)

Many factors (aside from a hard surface to park the airplane) determine flight movements. The Marketing dept might think differently but ops people know better :)

JB

Archived