Cons in J Class

Wolfhunter

standard procedure is to put cons into y class, however if y is full and J is empty, assuming cons are properly attired ( a whole other debate) then they are entitled to J class seating.

I have on occasion been upgraded despite empty seats in the back and have in return shown great thanks.

any travel is a privelidge not a right IMHO.

SB

On the contrary I've found that they are upgrading more often these days which is great. It's time we stick together and show some mutual respect. This "it's a priviledge not a right" argument is a truckload of BS as far as I'm concerned. Alot of employees work for AC and other airlines because of the travel. If anything it should be cheaper and more liberal. It costs the company SFA and is good for morale.

Sorry, I'm a little off topic here.. but my friend told me yesterday that he now gets unlimited, free flights for the rest of his life on Air Canada (as his dad has been employed there for 25 years).

I'm guessing that this statement he gave me is false, and that there are more details that he didn't share with me.

Can someone explain to me th benefits he may be speaking of?

Thanks.

One of the very first accomplishments of Gordon Bethune reign as CEO of CAL, was to abolish the travel policy of the day [similar to the current policy at AC] and replace it with a policy that included moving employees into their then First Class, space available..

Mr. Bethune also encouraged his employees to take pride in the CAL product, to engage fellow Executive Class passengers and to pass on to them that this was the CEOs way of showing his appreciation to his team.

I may add that though I would be in favour of this, I am also in favour of a "One strike, you're out" policy including a lifetime ban of your travel benefits should you abuse them and impact the company in any way.

Why not put employees in J? It is the only thing that we have left. I mean we are all employees and understand how to act up front. Back in the days of CAIL you could actually list for J and pay a little more for the seat. Why not try something like that?

Guest M. McRae

Why not search out some of the full "Y" paying passengers and upgrade them? Of course there may not be anysuch animal left but if someone has paid a full "Y" fare, they deserve some T.L.C. ;) After that employees of course but care must be taken so as not to degrade the service for the folks who act. paid for "J" as they are def. worth their weight in gold. :)

Guest PortTack

I hear that WestJet lowered the service fee to $2.50, travel all day. I've never heard of an airline 'lowering the price' for employee travel.

Guest cancommuter

I agree that pax with upgrade privilages go first but what they have working in the US is great. When you list F, not J/Y and you get to treat your family to an overseas flight with Dom Perignon, steak, and Hagen Daz on 180degree seatbeds on United 1st Class, it is truly memmorable - and why not!

Professional courtesy.

It costs the company SFA and is good for morale.

I'll agree improvements in the pass system could go a long way in improving morale. I'll reiterate my comments from a couple of days ago, senior management doesn't give a rats a$$ about the normal employees and it shows tremendously.

Having said that, there is an additional cost to the airline for putting employees in J. Catering and booze the primary ones. I've been perplexed why they won't let us buy our way in there with a differential charge between Y and J cabins. Maybe it's because they don't want the VP's and directors having to ride with us riff raft.

Guest Panama Jack

I agree with you Stable. I believe the pass travel thing is a nice little cash cow for the Company for seats that would have otherwise gone empty. B.S. on the privledge crap. I was talking to some Continental employees and if I remember correctly they pay a yearly or monthly fee for unlimited pass travel-- it was something very reasonable like $35. AC's fees are pretty high and they make it sound like they are being incredibly generous. For most people the pass availability is a part of the total compensation package.

Archived