CAW says “Stop the insanity”

Guest JakeYYZ

Guest JakeYYZ

SOURCE: CAW 2002 - For immediate release (Vancouver: 28 Aug 03) - Stop the insanity

Insanity n. extremely foolish

We’re doing the same thing day after day at Air Canada and thinking the result will be different. Insanity? Yes!

And so we head into another peak travel period with less staffing. Is there an effective game plan? No. None.

As Customer Sales and Service Agents faced with working the Labour Day weekend we need to break the pattern because it appears management at Air Canada won’t.

We all know that passengers will be either waiting on hold at call centres or standing in line ups at the airport. We can’t stop that. Management at Air Canada made that decision when they cut staffing below any reasonable level. After weeks of bad press have they made any changes? No. Will the result be different this weekend? No.

Management obviously doesn’t care. Well we do, and the good thing is we can make a difference. Management makes asinine decisions and we take the brunt of it. As front line workers we continually deal with hostile passengers. Reports indicate that customers know we aren’t to blame, but we need to remind them that the line ups are because management at Air Canada thinks we’re overstaffed. We must focus on the customer in front of us, or on the phones. These are our primary concerns – the line ups are management’s responsibility.

So as we head into Labour Day here are some tips to help you:

Breaks – Management says we’re overstaffed

Take your rest breaks – you earn them, you’re entitled to them. You get two (2) fifteen minute rest breaks at airports and two (2) twenty (20) minute rest breaks at call centres and Aeroplan. Use them to refresh yourself for the next onslaught.

Take your meal break – one (1) thirty (30) minute break (airports), or one (1) forty (40) minute break (Aeroplan and call centres), at the mid point of your shift.

Remember Air Canada says we’re overstaffed. Is it because they get an extra 30 to 60 minutes out of each of us every day as we try to make their game plan work? Take your break and remember your co-workers who were laid off or relocated.

Overtime – Know your Rights

If you are asked to work overtime and you are unable to do so, this is what you need to know:

Under our collective agreement, overtime/recall is voluntary and employees cannot be disciplined for refusing to work overtime/recall when they are unable to do so.

Any member who does not wish to work overtime/recall when asked to do so by management, should clearly state that they are not able to work any additional hours at this time. If management threatens you with discipline, inform them that does not change the fact that you are unable to work and that any discipline imposed will be unfair and will be grieved.

Clearly you cannot be expected to work any additional hours when you are exhausted or ill. Nor can you be expected to work additional hours which would adversely impact on your ability to care for your children or family members.

However, someone who is perfectly able to work the hours, but refuses to do so simply as a matter of convenience, or as a protest to management, can be expected to have a more difficult time justifying the refusal.

Management doing our work

They know this is a violation of our agreement. Don’t let them do it. Remember your co workers who were laid off or relocated. Tell them to stop. Put your hands in your pockets until they do. By this time you will probably be so stressed out you will need to take a break (see above).

If you have any problems find your Union Representative.

Forget the minute minder

If you’re at a call centre, give the customer your best service. Make sure they get all the information they need, focus on the customer and their needs not the clock. Help them now and they will know the ropes when they get to the airport. Don’t forget to remind them to reconfirm their return flight in case of delays.

Stop the insanity

Management is planning more cut backs in the fall. It’s time to stop the insanity.

For more information...

Anne DavidsonContact email: west@caw2002tca.ca

Reading this press release, I am persuaded by their arguments and finally agree 100% with the CAW. They've had enough and I think we've heard enough. There is only one answer...

STOP THE INSANITY... LIQUIDATE AIR CANADA! (6)

Nah, better just to liquidate the CAW! :P

These kinds of press releases seem to do nothing but display to the general public an employee work group that appears like angry, bitter, spoiled, whining children. I have little doubt that the staffing levels are below the critical level but being advised to "Put your hands in your pockets until managment stops helping..." and that, "By this time you will probably be so stressed out you will need to take a break..." does little to warrant any sympathy and actually does MORE damage in the court of public opinion.

...imo

CAW Press Release

http://action.web.ca/home/caw2002/alerts.shtml?sh_itm=7157e3c8bac71eb11ae4516aeb266da3

Guest ah crap

Great, just great. This is the second release by the CAW that makes me ashamed to be a member in good standing. Those of us left in the company, be it AC or Jazz, are doing our best to keep the company going and hopefully make something positive of this while the CAW is screwing everything up!

Thank you CAW. This is exactly the kind of message you want sent at this time in our companies struggle to get back on our feet. I definately agree that breaks and other items you mentioned, items that have been negotiated as part of the collective agreement, are to be followed. I want however to point out AGAIN, let's be flexible. Putting your "Hands in your pockets" will do nothing but strain the issue at hand. Lets see if you and management can put down the clubs and work together. I am looking at a company that is "Broken" and every day there seems to be another hairbained "fix" in the works. The only thing that will work is good old fashioned WORK! Lets take the breaks after all this trouble dies down. Lets get along with "management" after all they are leading the project to return to profit. I know you may think some do not know what they are doing and you may be right, but there is a plan and lets work together or we will both lose out.

Guest givemeabreak

You guys actually take only 15 minutes and only 30 minutes...what a laugh!

Did anyone ever think of doing what it takes to get the job done when at work?

Give each other a hand. No more "not my flight", "not my job", etc.

Guest Dockjock

I actually agree with the main point of the release, but the childish "hands in pockets" etc. is really what spoils it. These places seem to be run by extremists! Is there ever going to be any such union that could be classified as moderate? I agree that they should take their breaks and eat lunch and not work overtime if they can't etc. But there is definitely different phrasing that could be used to get the same point across without looking like babies.

Guest Airmail

I think this is just another attempt to drive a wedge into the process because I'd be surprised if management were telling agents not to take their breaks or lunches.

Through this document, the CAW have painted themselves as fighting for the frilly drapes while the rest of the house burns down. But such is life. I personally think that the AC Customer Sales and Service Agents won't respond to this type of drivel just like they didn't when a similar CAW bulletin went out a couple of weeks ago.

Guest Patrick Bergen

I would have to say up front that airport agents have my respect. This is a thankless job and very difficult one right now.

I need to ask what the failure is though if there was a negotiation between the company and the union for the cost savings. Obviously the service level has been reduced at many stations. The passenger line ups are too long etc. My understanding was that the CAW negotiated a reduction in employees and had little to no wage reductions. I could be wrong. If this is the case, would this not be the workplace environment that the union negotiated for its members and worthy of union leadership support? Is this the case or has there been a breach from the company?

Air Canada had so called " moderate " unions for many years. There used to be almost embarassing co-operation between management & employees. They asked and we always, within reason, gave willingly.

BUT, that was before Milton came along and rained on every ones parade..year after year after year, with his take no prisoners approach.

The sad point to this whole confrontation......is management has exactly the unions they asked for !!

Nothing will change until Milton & his confrontational band of henchmen are gone and some one is put in charge the employees will trust. Until that time, I sincerely fear for the future on my company.

They negotiated it, they got a temp 10 percent wage cut, their wages are now what they used to be and they negotiated layoffs instead of wage cuts (Seems they want their cake and eat it too). It seems, to me anyways, that the union is in breach of contract, as they agreed to work harder and to the very layoffs the union now says AC shouldn't have done.

Guest JakeYYZ

Do you think there is a formula that relates manpower (pilots, FA’s, CSSA’ ect..) to

equipment (arrivals/departures)? For every aircraft reduction, how many pilots face

lay-off? I’m not trying to be cute, but there is a relationship between equipment and

the manpower requirement. If you reduce staff, but maintain the same schedule, I guess

you’re gonna have a problem.

CAW policy is “lay-off’s, no concessions”. However, we did loose a week’s vacation,

longevity premium, sick days uniform allowance and a 10% pay reduction for two months ect. The timing of any staff reduction is a management decision. Like all other unions we have a scope clause. And like all other unions, we view scope as the

line in the sand. Management performing scope work is a no go item.

Guest Airmail

The timing of the layoffs was dictated by the need to get costs out because the company is losing piles of money - period. Unless you're living in another world, traffic is still below last year, yields are lower than they have ever been and the need for the company to lower costs is immediate.

The CAW negotiated productivity improvements instead of salary reductions or a combination of both like other unions did which means doing the same volume of work with fewer workers (that is what productivity improvement means, doesn't it???). Now the CAW turns around and says, we not only want to just get by with a two month temporary wage reduction, we also want to do the same volume of work with the old employee numbers!

The CAW is playing games but the employees are playing ball. There is a huge difference in that the vast majority of AC Customer Sales and Service agents are doing their part to turn this company around!

The CAW is only proving one thing with silly their antics: that Clive Beddoe is absolutely right when he says that one key advantage WJ has is a non-unionized workforce.

It seems evident to me that employees have 2 main problems we're facing: One is obviously the financial difficulties our airline is facing; and the second is the lack of mutual trust between upper management and unionized employees. This second problem actually becomes the greater of the two and hinders employees efforts to help minimize the first.

There are thousands of employees who genuinely care about the fortunes and the reputation of our employer, with good reason. Many of us would prefer to be free to go that extra mile, to go "above and beyond" the call of duty, to assist in the rebuilding efforts, but with that lack of trust, there lingers the notion that whatever gains may be made, our efforts may only serve to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Many of us, for example, will routinely work through scheduled break periods to accomplish whatever pressing matters there are, but it has become evident that all such extra efforts may now only result in more lay-offs, or at least a confirmation to the number cruncher's that staffing levels are adequate, when in fact in some cases they already aren't.

In maintenance it has been duly noted and widely accepted that any base that is, as a matter of general routine, not having trouble getting work done and aircraft out in a timely fashion, will have their numbers reduced until they are having trouble.

Lower level managers and supervisors, who are in a better position to see the troubles, and the effects of policy decisions, are reluctant to point out any mistakes made by their superiors, for fear of finding themselves axed. One of the supervisors where I work told me flat out that he wouldn't dare challenge decisions made by those above him, because he's seen where that leads. Upper management does not foster an environment that's conducive to open challenge and discussion of policy decisions.

When an employee dares to challenge decisions, he's labeled as a militant, or a feces disturber, and openly chastised for his brazen anti-company stance, or discredited for pursuing his own agenda. Challenges aren't permitted, and no attempts to honestly criticize mistakes made by upper management will go un-punished, or at least un-ignored.

So where does that leave the employee that genuinely want's to contribute to our recovery? What goes through the minds of those who aren't just robotic morons, that would really like to go that extra mile? The little peons who know they can make a bit of a difference by giving every effort they have toward completing their tasks efficiently are frustrated by that double edged sword. Work harder and either lose another co-worker, or establish a new norm of never having time for breaks... or relax a bit and watch the bleeding continue.

Instead of "all pulling together as a team", even though a majority of us may want that, what we have instead, in one sense, is several small teams, all with a common enemy: that being upper management. Now of course if any of them were to bother reading this, they'd likely chastise me some more for that attitude, little realizing how that serves to confirm what I'm saying. It's almost as though they prefer this adversarial relationship... I'm no business expert, but I understand people pretty well. Most of the people I see in this company would like to feel a part of it... would like to go home at the end of their day feeling as though they'd done a good job, and look forward to coming back tomorrow... But unfortunately, as long as management is seen as the enemy, and is seen as considering we peons the enemy, it's hard to look forward to coming to work.

In short, some serious change in management style is needed. Lower managers should never feel they can't challenge decisions made by their superiors. Upper management should openly look for such challenges in order to fine tune their decisions and correct their mistakes. And the little people shouldn't have to fear that working hard will only mean they'll have to work harder tomorrow.

At least, that's my opinion... and I'm pretty sure no one who counts is listening... I'm just a unionized peon after all.... And worse yet, I've already demonstrated a willingness to challenge, therefore I'm a poop disturber with an agenda of my own. "Not a company man", says the head of Tech Ops... funny thing is, all the union folk would tell me I am.... Never once have I filed a grievance... I've always preferred to deal directly -without any union reps - with whatever difficulties arise. But never have I felt more like management's enemy than I do now. What's remarkable is that I know I'm not alone in that thought.

And there you are, Airmail, telling us again that the unions are the problem...

The cup may be half full, but it's draining... How do we fill it up again?

Mitch Cronin

What a load of codswallop!!!

I was a union representative (shop stweard/health and safety rep) for about 10 of my 17 years of service with AC. The relationship between union and management has always been the same. At least from the IAM standpoint. Management at the airport's level, managed by intimidation. It has always been thus, apart from a few managers that really understood how to motivate people.

It's just selective memory to law this at Milton's feet.

I agree with you as well CA. How can I agree with both of you?..

Well, I only really know ACPA and only eight years of that, however, in my discussion with a lot of the senior guys I fly with, I hear exactly what you’ve explained with respect to the relationship between AC and it’s unions.

Having said that, Robert Milton’s influence in AC began about the time I arrived here, 1995, at least his influence in earnest. Since that time, the relationship as I know it has deteriorated about as quickly and decisively as the fortunes of Air Canada have.

I have tried and tried to remain open minded about the leadership of Robert Milton. Who knows, he may even lead us all out of the current quagmire and though this will not be accomplished without my and your and everyone’s’ genuine efforts, it would be accomplished to my surprise.

Personally, the next guy/girl, if there is one, gets a clean slate from me from which to begin.

have a great weekend!

Guest Patrick Bergen

Very interesting comments. I have been both a union member and a manager at an airport level. It seems from the comments that the key would be to find a way for local management and the union workforce to cooperatively increase productivity. I would assume that the goal of this plan would then be profitability, increased sales and thus a return of furloughed employees. Any suggestions?

Guest M. McRae

Bulletin #11

August 19, 2003

Irregular Operations = Re-Assignment = Chaos

Last week's power outage affected Air Canada's operations throughout the country. While the reports are still coming in, crews experienced the following problems:

Flights which were crewed at any cost contrary to Standard Operating Procedures. In one case, two flight attendants (one on vacation, the other on an unpaid LOA), were assigned to work without uniforms or their Manuals. It was a fight to re-crew the flight.

Insufficient numbers of flight attendants and In-charges. Minimum crew complements were not always respected.

Insufficient phone lines into crew scheduling or staff to answer those phones.

Insufficient number of crew schedulers who cannot be expected to meet the overload during a large irregular operation.

Flying with inexperienced managers.

Tremendous pressure from the Company, passengers and co-workers to operate flights in violation of our Collective Agreement and Company rules.

What's Our Responsibility When Things Go Bad?

When our operations are seriously disrupted, many of us go above and beyond what is normally expected of us. We're prepared to do almost anything to assist our passengers in very stressful and trying circumstances.

But we must "go that extra mile" professionally, in full compliance with our safety procedures and our Collective Agreement. We can never violate our Manual's Standard Operating Procedures. We must resist pressure to "cut corners" to get a flight done. Safety is always our first priority.

Our Collective Agreement must also be respected, or we could be working fatigued. The Company may also get used to violating our rules on an everyday basis, not just in times of crisis. Nor will they have the incentive to fix the problems with overworked and short-staffed flight attendants and crew schedulers.

Therefore it is important that we review your rights under the Collective Agreement when re-assignment applies.

Regular Blockholders:

1. When a flight is cancelled, you are pay protected and subject to re-assignment (Art. B10).

3. If your flight cancels AFTER you reported for duty at the airport, you may be required to be available for up to one hour for re-assignment at home base and two hours away from home base (Art. B 6.03.01.06 and B 6.03.02). The Union maintains that standby commences upon reasonable knowledge of the cancellation.

4. Air Canada has assured us that members who have followed the rules outlined in points 2 and 3 above will receive the credits in their blocks and will not be shown as unavailable for duty.

5. If your re-assigned flight is cancelled, you are subject to further re-assignment.

6. If your re-assigned flight operates and you are legal for the assignment, any changes to the pairing / flight that may occur would constitute a draft.

7. Re-assignment is always restricted to the calendar days initially scheduled in your block (Art. B 6.05.05). The re-assignment can be worth more than the originally scheduled flight or pairing, and you will be credited the greater of the two credits (Art. B 6.04). Check your September Pay Summary for any discrepancies.

8. Duty day limitations and crew rest are not changed during an irregular operation.

Reserve Blockholders:

Crew scheduling may change your assignment but your duty day cannot be extended over the maximum, and your crew rest cannot be reduced below the minimum.

Our Lesson for the Future

In good times or bad, we must always work as "safety professionals". We and our passengers deserve no less.

Yours in Solidarity,

Pamela Sachs on behalf of the Component Executive

http://www.accomponent.ca/Bulletins/You%20and%20Your%20Rights%20Folder/Bulletin_you_and_rights_aug19_03_B11.htm

Guest JakeYYZ

“Clive Beddoe is absolutely right when he says that one key advantage WJ has is a non-unionized workforce.”

Absolutely. AC’s workforce is 99% unionized and that’s not going to change.

“the vast majority of AC Customer Sales and Service agents are doing their part to turn this company around!”

Right again. But, if you’re thinking the majority are willing to permit scope violations,

you are not wrong. Would ACPA or any of the other unions turn a blind eye to that type of abuse?

“The CAW negotiated productivity improvements instead of salary reductions or a combination of both like other unions did which means doing the same volume of work with fewer workers (that is what productivity improvement means, doesn't it???).”

RM, to characterize the contract changes negotiated, used the phrase “productivity improvement”, not the Union. I think it’s an oversimplification to suggest that it would be just a matter of processing more clients with fewer agents at a faster pace.

Maybe once we’re past Labour Day, and the all the sked reductions are in place, service will be fine. We'll see.

"In good times or bad, we must always work as "safety professionals"."

I wouldn't have guessed there'd be something Ms. Sachs had to say that I'd agree with, but that's it!

There are some areas where "production improvements" simply aren't possible without compromising safety. Which is something none of us are prepared to do.

Suggestions? Me?.... Yessir, I've got a few... I think I've made them all though...

Better communication (two way dialogue),

More communication (of the "better" variety)

More concern for the employee,

A less threatening management style,

More accountability (of the "less threatening" variety)

Follow-up and correction of erred policies, decisions and directions,

More involvement, by upper management, with the daily experiences they so often seem to have no idea of.

...for starters.

Ya ya, I know, someone will tell me "after we come out of CCAA".... Ok, I'll wait. But hey, Patrick asked. :D

Archived