Straight From The Top - says Milton

Mitch Cronin

Interesting book. I just finished it this morning... I think if I had the time (and maybe just a tad more gumption?) I'd like to write one myself, and call it Straight From the Bottom, to give a different view of many of the same events and happenings here at big red... Not sure how many would want to read that though. smile.gif

Regardless of what you might think of RM, this book is worth reading -certainly for those of us working here, and probably even for anyone in the industry. Even if you wind up doubting that his "truth" is as straight as he claims, it's worth hearing his perspective. ...and who knows, you might just find a hair or two of respect for the man?

Personally, I think he does a bit more blowing his own horn than serves him... he'd have been better off leaving some of that to others, I think. ... but it's clear there is honesty there, and some of what he's got to say is quite illuminating for those of us in the trenches who had no clue.

I reckon if I'd met the man in a bowling alley, or a golf course, or somewhere he had no influence over me, I might like him... if I could just get past the chasm of differences between his silver platter life, and my own dog food bowl... ?

Interesting book. I just finished it this morning... I think if I had the time (and maybe just a tad more gumption?) I'd like to write one myself, and call it Straight From the Bottom, to give a different view of many of the same events and happenings here at big red... Not sure how many would want to read that though. smile.gif

Regardless of what you might think of RM, this book is worth reading -certainly for those of us working here, and probably even for anyone in the industry. Even if you wind up doubting that his "truth" is as straight as he claims, it's worth hearing his perspective. ...and who knows, you might just find a hair or two of respect for the man?

Personally, I think he does a bit more blowing his own horn than serves him... he'd have been better off leaving some of that to others, I think. ... but it's clear there is honesty there, and some of what he's got to say is quite illuminating for those of us in the trenches who had no clue.

I reckon if I'd met the man in a bowling alley, or a golf course, or somewhere he had no influence over me, I might like him... if I could just get past the chasm of differences between his silver platter life, and my own dog food bowl... ?

Come on Mitch... Dog food bowl? Except for the hours of work, you love what you do, you love your family... two and four legged members. You love fast cars, too.

You and Milton are both airplane nuts of a kind. You have more in common than you realize.

Griff's doing well. Thanks for asking Kip...

Dagger, I meant - and probably I wasn't clear enough - in terms of childhood and upbringing... I was not nearly as fortunate. You're quite right though... I wouldn't describe my current circumstance like that.

His life sounds as though it was almost one of being delivered into the role of a leader... private schools and exotic locales and wealth... I'm sure he had to work very hard to achieve what he's done though... I wouldn't want to try to deny that.

The first time I heard him in person (the only time, come to think of it, that I saw him in person) was shortly after CAIL was taken over... he came to Hangar C (the old WD hangar in YYZ) and had a chat with a huge crowd.... He impressed me, and as he spoke about his feelings for airplanes, you're right, I knew we shared that.

Still... "silver platter" seems about right from where I sit.

RM started tooting his own horn the minute he arrived at AC. I guess that is how you get to the top and get people to hear you. TOOT TOOT....as for "respect" I am sure some do respect the man. The problem was my first impression of him. "Not good" and it is tough to change first impressions. As for the love of aircraft. Most young males can say the same thing. I just wish he loved the 747 or the 777 as much as some of us......of Hi from PEK to some of you.

I just finished the book, and I too found it fascinating. While I'm sure that nobody who has worked for AC for any length of time has ever been under the impression that the federal Liberals were friends of ours, I was astonished to read about the utter stupidity on the parts of much of Chretien's cabinet that Milton has had to endure, and I can't even begin to imagine his frustration.

He does do quite a bit of self horn-tooting in the book, but I kinda think he's entitled to. While mistakes were made along the way, Milton certainly deserves considerable credit for transforming AC from a dinasour into an enterprise that will--I hope it will be shown--be able to compete effectively with anybody. A quick check of fares/schedules on the AC website shows immediately how much more radically AC has transformed its business compared to the likes of CO and AA whose websites would seem to show that they're still operating the same pricing policies that all legacy carriers did pre 9/11 and before the LCC's really started to expand.

I have sometimes taken issue with the way AC's Management has acted toward its employees during the restructuring and the events that made it necessary, but throughout the book Milton does a good job of explaining why it was essential that our labour costs be reduced. A number of AC employees have valid beefs about how the reduction in labour costs was accomplished, but I think that Milton's book would make a good read for anyone who is bitter about the concessions they have ended up making.

Barring further nasty geopolitical events, Milton is obviously very confident about our future and he makes a convincing case for having a sound basis for his confidence. Contrast that with the gloom and doom we hear nowadays from the CEO's of DL, UA and US, and I figure that I'm pretty lucky to work where I do.

terms of childhood and upbringing... I was not nearly as fortunate

Mitch

I would argue that given the circumstances you've described over the years, you've probably gained far more than he.

The difference is, you stopped, you achieved what you needed to be happy, and quit climbing, just think of where you could have gone had you wanted to continue the struggle.

Brett

I really didn't intend for this thread to be about me... but I should know these things are like raindrops... just try predicting where the next one will fall!? tongue.gif I guess I should have left out that bit about the differences between Milton's platter and my bowl... I'm just jealous, that's all.

Thanks Brett. Somewhere, either buried in dust, or garbage, along with all kinds of other paperwork from Wardair, there exists an application for some kind of position advancement that I filled out many years ago... In answer to the question "What are your aspirations?", I said "To be president of the airline" biggrin.gif

I don't think I "stopped"... I just ran into the reality that, the need to earn a living and get on with making that living more complicated with kids'n'things, eventually prevented any chance of going back to school.

Getting back to Milton...

Something he said really does seem to deserve more mention...

I don't have the book with me now, but that part about him turning down the offer from the BOD of $26 million (or thereabouts?), and not even accepting the $3 million to have been paid immediately.... is a story that, were it more widely known, might just help to tame some rhetoric that comes spewing out of people's mouths when they talk about the $20 million he might have got from Victor Li.

The man may not be all we wish he was... but there's certainly more to him than most of us know. ...and that story, if true and complete (and I seriously doubt that he'd print it, if it weren't), says an awful lot about his character.

I'm gonna quit ragging on the man. ... who knows, maybe he can find the time to figure out how to run an airline properly, now that all that other stuff is done? biggrin.gif

Guest rattler

I think the author of the story might be considered to have a bias.....

Michael Janigan is executive director and general counsel for the Public Interest Advocacy Centre in Ottawa.

Their Website could be of interest.

PIAC Website

I finished RM's book too. Great read. It was interesting to look at what happens in YOW with that wonderful Liberal government and the path of destruction left by Collenutts. Milton talks about Fee's and how we get screwed in this country for all airlines. There is an entire chapter on the GTAA and it's pretty funny.

Some stuff I would have liked to see was at least something on Jazz and how it formed, and a little more detail on the 'present' union leaders... but I guess he still has to work with them.

Hello, Hello, Earth calling Zoltar... come in Zoltar...

AIP, how you're connecting your comments to mine are beyond me. I know CAIL is gone. Last time I looked, it said Air Canada on my paycheck. Milton says CAIL brought value (middle of page 104). I agree. One for the history books.

I didn't mention ALPA, you did. Milton (and I) commented on a morally bankrupt ACPA MEC Chairman (bottom of page 108).

Relax. Read. Then type.

And I should take my own advice, apologies to Rainer

Oops .... point noted Buzz. Thanks.

I am more than tired of all the blue-red saga and the ALPA-ACPA stuff. I wish it would all just go away.

Thank goodness very little of is appears when the doors are closed and we push back, because the job is still enormously gratifying and enjoyable.

Archived