Same Question, Different Day

Kip Powick

Do you remember when I posted a question regarding luggage limits heading south??? In a nutshell, what were the luggage limits for my trip seeing I was going "down" on WJ and "coming back" on AT?? discussion ensued , the end result was that there was quite a reduction in the WJ limit for the charter vs. a normal flight which has the normal flight info on their website.Two of the answers follow.....

CanadaEH

Did a search on our computers. I couldn't begin to tell you why our allowance is lower on charter flights, sorry, but I figure it's up to Transat as to how much they allow.

chockalicious

The standards are Transat standards . That is why there is the discrepancy.

Yesterday I was advised by my Travel Agent that WJ was now going to do both the "down" and "up" flight, AT had dropped out of the equation. So I was wondering what the limits would be now. Surely the company, WJ, not the Tour company sets the limits........?

(This may sound I'm beating a dead horse but please understand that Scuba 02 and I load to the limit as we take a whole sh#* load of stuff down for the children in some of the surrounding villages and we want to be at the "max" allowable weight.)

If Westjet is operating the flight on behalf of Transat, I still believe that Transat sets the standards.

My advice would be to contact both Transat and Westjet to get an answer from someone who can better assist you. I'll ask around today and see what I can find to help clarify the standards for you.

Hope this helps...

Luggage Allowances on Charters:

MAXIMUM WEIGHT (Combined total): 44 lbs (20 kgs) 2 pieces are allowed.

MAXIMUM DIMENSION: 155 cm or 62" (less than 80”) total combined

Dimensions (length + width + height).

SPORTING EQUIPMENT:

Guests are permitted to bring sporting equipment as per our regular

promise. Please see " Luggage - Sporting Equipment" in the LUGGAGE

topic in the GR.

You can substitute your scuba gear for a piece of checked luggage. Note the following:

SCUBA-DIVING EQUIPMENT:

- Restricted conditions apply.

One set consists of an empty scuba tank, a regulator, a tank

harness, a mask, a pair of fins and a snorkel.

- Cylinders containing compressed air or a special gas mixture are

prohibited (i.e. aqua-lung cylinders).

- WestJet only accepts emptied cylinders (pressure gauge must

read zero). Tank valve must be open.

- Diving lamps must be disconnected, with the terminals taped over

to prevent accidental functioning during transport.

If you exceed 2 pieces of checked luggage then excess fees will apply.

Thanks fellows...I just have a hard time getting my head around the fact that it is a WJ aircraft and someone else is telling WJ what the limitations are and, of course, "why"?

All our trips have been on other carriers and the limitations are pretty much what chockalicous posted..... I can live with that but if WJ allows more latitude, we'll pack "heavy". wink.gif

Guest rattler

Re "why" someone else is setting the benchmark for Westjet in this case are:

1. Conformity with other AirTransat charter operations.

2. Agreement cut with Westjet in which Westjet agrees to abide with the terms and conditions contained in AirTransat's tariff filing with the CTA.

Enjoy your trip and post pictures upon return....

chockalicous

You can substitute your scuba gear for a piece of checked luggage. Note the following

I think I know what you mean however the Scuba Gear bag weight does not count toward your total per person of 44 lbs. In other words I could have a scuba gear bag at 40lbs, checked free and my street clothes in a checked suitcase at 44 lbs and even though the combined weight of my two pieces is 84 lbs. I would not incur charges...right ???

I believe the scuba gear bags...DO NOT count as checked luggage as far as the weight issue goes....am I wrong? unsure.gif

This promise applies to the collection of excess

baggage fees for CHARTER FLIGHTS ONLY.

Excess charter bags are treated the same as our excess domestic

bags. Please see LUGGAGE: EXCESS; OVERWEIGHT; OVERSIZE in the

LUGGAGE topic in the GR.

Oversized bags for charters are the same standard as domestic

oversized sized bags. Please see LUGGAGE: EXCESS; OVERWEIGHT;

OVERSIZE in the LUGGAGE topic in the GR.

Excess weight is treated differently for charter flights and

domestic flights. WestJet will charge an excess weight fee

of $5.00/kg for any amount of checked charter luggage over the

20 kg total combined weight per person limit.

These excess luggage charges are consistent with

international standards.

Example: A bag weighing 27 kgs is 7 kilos over weight. The charge

will be $35.00 plus tax.

Guest rattler

Kip, I must admit that I am curious if your questions reflect the lack of information provided to a "Charter" passenger by a tour operator in general or simply confusion re. why the difference between the limits of the Tour Company and those of the actual Air Carrier?

My experience in all cases is that the tariffs of the Tour Operater rule.

(This may sound I'm beating a dead horse but please understand that Scuba 02 and I load to the limit as we take a whole sh#* load of stuff down for the children in some of the surrounding villages and we want to be at the "max" allowable weight.)

Hi, Kip - Perhaps if you let WJ know the above purpose, and maybe packed the "sh#* load" separately ( wink.gif ), they might work something out for you? Given half a chance, most airline folks will take some pains to avoid being total grinches ....

Cheers, IFG

What are you planning on checking in, Kip? Scuba gear and one or two suitcases?

What we normally check in is a scuba gear bag each , they can weigh up to 50lbs with the gear and all the underwater camera gear. Then we normally check in one suitcase that has all our "street clothes", so in effect we check in a total of 3 bags, however with the scuba gear, if all added together the total would put us over allowable weight...however I am sure that the scuba gear DOES NOT count in the total checked baggage weight.

At least on every other carrier it doesn't........ sports gear is not counted as your allowable baggage weight.

I mean geeez, golfers carry about 40 lbs of clubs etc.so that would only allow them 4 lbs for clothes..... biggrin.gif

Kip,

Did you try talking to the customer care desk? Helpful people put in place to take care of the oddball questions like this:

403-444-2484

I think they are going 24/7. If you still are not reassured then post back, pm, or email if you still have it, and I will call for you.

Westjet just changed the rules

When I went to the web about 2 weeks ago, sports equipment was free but now the website says……..

If you want to transport your sporting equipment for free, please include it in your regular luggage allowance of two checked pieces. If you can't squeeze all your stuff into two bags, you can still bring the equipment along with you, but our excess luggage fees will apply

…………………… however, this is on regular flights where the total Baggage allowance is 2 pieces not to exceed a total of 140 lbsThat would not pose a luggage problem for us.

The young lady I spoke to at WJ customer service said that on charters the luggage allowance is 2 pieces not to exceed a total of 44 lbs AND..sports gear in a different bag is a flat rate of $30.00 !!!! So this means that we would be charged $120.00 to get our gear there and back but if we were not on a charter the gear could go free.

IF, and I say IF this is true this is a great big RIP-OFF by Westjet….. as no other carrier including AT, charges for sports gear, in fact they allow 66lbs of sports gear……

As much as WJ appears to be a good airline, based on what I have been told, by their customer service rep, their charter policy sucks ..big time….

KIP.

Once again we operate on behalf of the charter policy, I am guessing that the fees involved including all associated baggage handling etc...have been set out and negotiated by the holiday provider.

They have paid a flat fee for the aircraft and crew...if they (AT holidays) subsequently decide to charge you for your gear then take it up with the holiday provider.

You are mad at the wrong crowd.

If I was Tuba player..and had two standard bags i wanted to check plus my Tuba i would expect to pay more for its size and excess nature.....

Why because your equipment is SCuba do you think it should be any different ?

Call transat and bark up their tree.

SB biggrin.gif

(1)They have paid a flat fee for the aircraft and crew...if they (AT holidays) subsequently decide to charge you for your gear then take it up with the holiday provider.

(2)You are mad at the wrong crowd.

(3)If I was Tuba player..and had two standard bags i wanted to check plus my Tuba i would expect to pay more for its size and excess nature.....

(4)Why because your equipment is SCuba do you think it should be any different ?

(5)Call transat and bark up their tree.

SB biggrin.gif

(1) AT is not the holiday provider...merely WAS the transport...don't know of WJ is seconded to AT.

(2) Not really...read below about WJ baggage policy re Charter/Non Charter

(3)Your comparison between a tuba and sports gear is irrational.

(4)Sports gear goes FREE on ALL other charter companies. I wrote what I was told by WJ customer service and in my opinion WJ Charter policy sucks......now if the aircraft is seconded to AT as a "fill in", then I would hope that the baggage rules fall within AT parameters...

Having said that, if WJ CHARTERS have the cash grab for sports gear, I would do my utmost to utilize a different company and ensure that my friends did the same. Bear in mind ...I did say "if what I was told is true". How do you rationalize 140lbs, which includes sports gear on a WJ NON CHARTER, and 44 lbs which must include sports gear on a WJ CHARTER ??? (These rules are WJ, operated by WJ....not seconded to a second party)

(5) Not flying AT/not holiday provider...but....is WJ doing the flight for them or is this an actual WJ flight??...standing by for that info from..... icon_question.gif

Kip:

Times are a changing. Sports equipment was carried free in years gone-by. Now it is part of your regular baggage allowance.

See what AC say, http://www.aircanada.ca/services/luggage/c....html#sportfree

Another tip.

If you are taking sports equipment with you, i.e. Golf Bag, Ski Bag etc, DO NOT pack anything but the sports gear in it. (note the reference is there for skis, but maybe inforced for other sports equipment too) There is even a golf bag made so that there is a compartment to put your socks, underwear, shirts and pants into. SOME airlines (United, Air Canada) will disallow this even if it is part of your regular allowance and charge it as excess baggae. This is totally irrational, but my nephew was caught on this by United in PHX even though he was checking in for an AC flight. It cost him an extra $100 to get home.

Kip:

Times are a changing. Sports equipment was carried free in years gone-by. Now it is part of your regular baggage allowance.

Thank you for your comments...

I hear you..... BUT....the sports gear is INCLUDED in one's total baggage weight and in this case, on AC one person can check two bags for a total of 140lbs...that is not a problem for a scuba diver only going for two weeks....BUT it is a problem if the allowance on a charter, is two bags(one containing sports gear), total weight 44lbs......... That is my bitch..

Guest rattler

I guess you are just hitting the "cheap" brick wall. Charters are cheaper than sked. for a reason. Perhaps just the cost of hauling the extra weight (fuel, handing etc.) for the heavier baggage load is their reason.

If you are really ""Naughty Word"" you could also lay a complaint with the CTA or go regular sked in future...

CTA Complaints

Archived