Interesting F86 video

GDR

I have flown a lot of "whiz-bang" aircraft but the Canadian  F-86 Mk6 is one of the two I really wanted to get some time in.  The other was the Spitfire........ but alas, it wasn't going to happen....

aef emo.jpg

• Sad 1

Probably the "old style seats" which were basically just a stick of dynamite that shot you up the rails and out of the aircraft. During my pilot training we all had to do that procedure while strapped in a seat  and we were blown up the rails, (on a tower), with only about 1/2 charge to show us what would happen..........and then along came "ROKAT" seats, (not the proper name), and apparently it was a much smoother exit......

Fortunately I never had to leave an aircraft in such a hurry 😆

I flew with a captain from Texas who wore two silkworm pins on his uniform jacket - both earned from bailing out of an F86 when the engine fire warning went off. I recall him saying that the engines in the USAF versions were total crap and that when they got a fire warning, they had about five seconds to get out of it before becoming part of a roman candle. 

Edited by J.O.

11 hours ago, J.O. said:

I flew with a captain from Texas who wore two silkworm pins on his uniform jacket - both earned from bailing out of an F86 when the engine fire warning went off. I recall him saying that the engines in the USAF versions were total crap and that when they got a fire warning, they had about five seconds to get out of it before becoming part of a roman candle. 

Sounds more like the F84 in those cases, the J65 engine was notorious.

The advice on the fire warning light was: "Count out loud to ten, and if you haven't blown up by then, you should be OK. And you'll sound really cool on the radio"