Funny, if it wasn't so sad.

In Zurich, as in many airports, after passing through pre-board screening you must walk through the duty-free shop to get to the gates. Not even 10 steps from the stern security guard who wants to take your nail clippers you are presented with a huge display of Swiss Army knives for sale. Yup, that's right - inside security!

PXL_20240116_125251211.jpg

16 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

I'm not positive , but isn't anything bought in that store taken to the aircraft and the purchaser does not get the bag until arrival at destination.???🤔

Nope.  Cash and carry.  Booze is bagged and sealed but simply handed to the passenger.  Anything else is just put in a regular open bag.  I know this because one of the crew actually bought two of them for Christmas presents.

Has that not been pointed out to TSA ?? There must be an exception somewhere.

In HFX, (as crew), I had my car keys taken because it had the remote start attached. Fortunately there was a maintenace tech there and he advised Security that he would put my keys in the Cargo Hold and I would get them back in YYZ. That seemed to appease the TSA agent.

Prior to pushback the tech came into the flight deck and gave back  my car keys.🤣 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Has that not been pointed out to TSA ?? There must be an exception somewhere.

In HFX, (as crew), I had my car keys taken because it had the remote start attached. Fortunately there was a maintenace tech there and he advised Security that he would put my keys in the Cargo Hold and I would get them back in YYZ. That seemed to appease the TSA agent.

Prior to pushback the tech came into the flight deck and gave back  my car keys.🤣 

Perhaps this is the answer.

Apr 8, 2019  At ZRH, knives with blades up to 6cm in length are permitted to be taken through security. They can and continue to be sold both landside and 

Knives and scissors with blades over 6 cm in length are only permitted in checked baggage. Perhaps the ones being sold were shorter than 6cm, that would be interesting to find out

41 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Perhaps this is the answer.

Apr 8, 2019  At ZRH, knives with blades up to 6cm in length are permitted to be taken through security. They can and continue to be sold both landside and 

Knives and scissors with blades over 6 cm in length are only permitted in checked baggage. Perhaps the ones being sold were shorter than 6cm, that would be interesting to find out

Yup....a bit of "photo magic" re Seeker's post  and the knife blades  are all 6 cms ...or less. depending on the model....  so legal .....😉

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Yup....a bit of "photo magic" re Seeker's post  and the knife blades  are all 6 cms ...or less. depending on the model....  so legal .....😉

I must be missing the joke.  There's no photo magic or manipulation.

Yes, I expect the blades are "legal" - it's not like I'm going to be the guy to discover the issue.  I have some familiarity with the standard full-size Swiss Army knives.  Just pulled mine from the drawer - full length of blade is 6.5 cm with the cutting edge being 5.9 cm.  Legal, I assume, depending on how you define "blade length".  Anyway, that's kinda beside the point.  These things are viciously sharp and 6.0 cm is much larger than the 2.5 cm box cutters that the highjackers used on 9/11.  I would not want to be facing off against someone holding one and, TBH, I would not expect one to be present on my aircraft let alone be sold in the departure lounge.  Even if the passengers are allowed to bring them through security it presents an opportunity for an interaction that might show some red flags.

Anyway, selling knives in the departure lounge - even if they are legal, seems like a bad idea.

I  must be missing the joke.  There's no photo magic or manipulation.

Sorry for the confusion...my excuse is being a super senior citizen.....😆

No Joke, just my way of explaining I used a "different/unusual" program to take the photo and clarify the digital sequence and saw that each knife  was a particular model and I cross referenced the Swiss Army knives with the producers of the knife and established that all knives had a blade of 6cm or less.

When you get really old and  pull the pin and have all the free time I have, in the "winter" you too can spend cold stormy days/nights finding all kinds of information that many feel does not exist on the Internet if you know where to get "special and unusual " programs. (My source is a retired RCMP fellow that I went to school with,  and he was in the cyber/spooks  section of the Force).

13 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

No Joke, just my way of explaining I used a "different/unusual" program to take the photo and clarify the digital sequence and saw that each knife  was a particular model and I cross referenced the Swiss Army knives with the producers of the knife and established that all knives had a blade of 6cm or less.

OK, got it now.  I thought you were suggesting I used some technique to make the knives appear larger but now understand you saying that you used a special program (magic) to determine which model they are.

Now, what about the rest - even if they are legal - not a good idea.

Now, what about the rest - even if they are legal - not a good idea.

I totally agree however  in and out of Canada blades of 6cm or less are allowed and according to TSA USA also allowed in USA. Now if the blade is 6cm or less but exceeds 1/2 inch in width, they are NOT allowed.. I thnk the Swiss Army knife has a lock-on permissable but I am pretty sure if TSA sees anything else, out comes the tape measure.

Here is a good link with photos and explanations..

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/03/06/tsa-pocketknives/#:~:text=A knife is only allowed,a locking or fixed blade

According to this the knives were legal... If you were not flying beyond a  US point of entry.  So what am I missing? Does ZRH screen carry on baggage to the US differently than to non US destinations if it involves a domestic flight connection?  and if not  the deviations at the US domestic boarding point should be caught when going through the us domestic boarding check. . since evidently the US still bands knives with some exceptions

Knives and other sharp objects

A knife with a blade 6 cm or less is permitted in carry-on or checked baggage when flying within Canada or to an international (non-U.S.) destination. Knives of any type or length are not permitted in your carry-on on flights to the U.S.
Jan 11, 2023

Here is One  update  MAR 2023....for Homeland Security USA

TSA used to allows knives with blades that are 2.36 inches (6 cm) or less in length in carry-on. However, that is a thing of the past. Now they ban all knives in hand luggage and on your body. You can only check them in.Mar 31, 2023

Will TSA confiscate a Swiss Army knife?

You can try, but your Swiss Army knife will be added to the collection of confiscated items by the TSA. You can put it in your luggage and check it thru, but otherwise it's a goner.May 29, 2023

TSA prohibits both domestic & international travelers from carrying any sharp objects in their carry-on or hand baggage. Any knives or other sharp objects must be sheathed or securely wrapped and stored in checked baggage to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.Dec 14, 2023

I lost my little, tiny swiss combo with little tiny nose hair clippers in Miami heading home. They had survived for at least a year before confiscation. I'm guessing the knife was maybe 1/8th wide and 1 1/4 in long. Don't know 'cuz I only used it for the tiny little scissors.

2 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

I lost my little, tiny swiss combo with little tiny nose hair clippers in Miami heading home. They had survived for at least a year before confiscation. I'm guessing the knife was maybe 1/8th wide and 1 1/4 in long. Don't know 'cuz I only used it for the tiny little scissors.

cutting what? 😀

16 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

Lol....answer "hidden" in the first sentence of post. Hint...."nose"?

these work without any possibility of cutting the skin. and confuse the hell out of the TSA

image.png.437ad847cefedfac00e210dfde92a652.png

image.png

I wonder if the D Free has a list of who they can sell to as "carry on",  and those whose carriers or  regulators would not allow the item in the cabin? Your boarding pass would be all they would need to figure that out.

I imagine they would be happy to ship your purchase for a fee.

It would be most unlike the Swiss  to be unaware of regulations. 😉