Air Transat Announcements

10 hours ago, IFG said:

Question for any helpful soul - What are the CAR's duty time reg's for F/A's (if any?) A bit of searching is only yielding up "flight crew member" limits, defined as pilot or flight engineer, whereas F/A's are defined as "crew members". I haven't pored over CAR's for a few years, and the search functions don't seem to have improved any :Scratch-Head:

If F/A's are governed by annual flight time limits similar to pilots, then it is likely in their interest to base pay on flight time (at an appropriate rate to achieve a desired T4#), particularly where longer-haul flying is the norm, but better still with a super-imposed credit system to prevent abusively inefficient scheduling (& best with some sort of credit system).

Cheers, IFG - :b:

There are no duty time regulations for FAs in Canada. Most companies apply the pilots duty rules to their FAs but they are not bound by regulation to do so. The same applies for AME's - no duty regulations are specified. 

• 3 weeks later...

A interesting look at Air Transat and a delay My Honest (and Surprisingly Positive) Air Transat Review - Jen on a Jet Plane

My Honest (and Surprisingly Positive) Air Transat Review

Canada has two major international budget carriers — WestJet and Air Transat. 

I’ve flown with them both, but I recently had a long delay coming back from Europe that prompted me to write more about Air Transat specifically. 

I won’t sugarcoat it. I was delayed for 24 hours coming back from Europe and it was rough, y’all. 

It might surprise you to hear that despite all the problems, I would fly with Air Transat again. 

Now that I’ve had a chance to sleep in my own bed and more importantly, received a check compensating me for the delay I experienced less than 2 weeks after my return, I have to say Air Transat isn’t so bad. 

They were named the “World’s Best Leisure Airline in 2018” and while the situation I encountered could’ve benefitted from clearer communication, at no point did I feel ignored. 

Some airlines will put you on hold forever, passing you from department to department before you mysteriously get “disconnected.” It’s infuriating.

My concern when it comes to travel purchases is not how fancy a brand is or how many stars a hotel has, but how good on an experience past customers have had. 

I’ll happily stay at a Days Inn, for instance, if the rooms are clean, breakfast is hearty and neighborhood is safe.

Similarly, I’ll fly budget airlines no problem. so long as there’s a dedicated customer service team and the experience on board is tolerable, i.e. complimentary beverages and entertainment. 

This is my Air Transat review and everything you need to know before flying with this popular budget airline.  

Air Transat Destinations 

Glasses set on a map

Currently, Air Transat operates routes primarily throughout Europe, Canada, the US, Central America, the Caribbean and South America.

They have 27 European destinations, 37 sunny destinations and 5 Canadian destinations.

Their hub is located at the Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport.

Baggage and Check-in

Check in on Air Transat is a fairly easy process.

Depending on your route, a mobile ticket may or may not be available.

Be aware that if you go through the gate agents, they will make you weigh your bag. 

They also have scales as you’re boarding, but you’re less likely to be stopped here for size checks if your bag is discreet. 

You are allowed one carry-on bag and a personal item, but with a weight limit of 10kg for your carry-on which is barely 20 pounds.

If you have a rolling bag, at least 5 pounds of that will be the suitcase alone. 

If you book an Eco Budget Fare, checked bags aren’t included and prices go up within 24 hours of the flight. It costs $35 to check your first bag, $50 for your second. 

If you have an Eco Standard or Eco Flex fare, your first checked bag is included. 

Seat selection 

Seat selection used to be free with Air Transat but unfortunately that changed in July 2019. Hey, capitalism is a thing guys ::shrug::

Now, prices range from $30 for a standard seat to $50+ for an even more legroom seat.

Remember when sitting in an emergency row was free? Ah, the good ol’ days. 

You can reserve a seat up to 24 hours before your flight.

As far as seats go, the ones on Air Transat are standard. They recently renovated their economy class to include features like mood lighting, a 4-way headrest and more legroom. 

The average airline offers 30-31 inches of legroom — Air Transat has 32 inches. 

The seats are comfortable enough, your basic airline seats. They have charging ports for your electronic devices and a seat-back pocket to place your water or books. 

Pro tip: if you need more legroom but don’t want to pay for it try to sit in the first row behind a galley so no one will recline into you. 

Never ever sit in the last row if you can avoid it, since others recline into you and you have nowhere to go, not to mention you get a nice waft of the airplane toilet whenever someone uses the restroom.

Food on Air Transat 

Tray filled with airline food

Here’s another benefit rarely found on budget airlines — meals are free, too! 

At least on flights to Europe from Canada and vice versa. There’s a snack and beverage served on flights to the Caribbean, Central and South America. 

I flew with Air Transat both to and from Europe and both times we were given dinner, a snack and a second meal, either lunch or breakfast depending on the time.

I found the food surprisingly tasty and was grateful to not have to pay $10 on board for a ham and cheese sandwich, like you do with some competitors. 

Entertainment on Air Transat

One of my biggest gripes with low-cost airlines is the complete lack of entertainment on their planes. 

You feel every minute of an 8-hour flight when you don’t have any distractions to keep your mind occupied. 

Air Transat has screens on the back of every seat filled with hours of entertainment options, from games to movies and TV shows. 

There were popular series and new releases available, as well as a good mix of genres. 

I found myself sufficiently entertained without having to resort to Netflix downloads on my phone. 

This perk is also completely free and applies to all flights. 

My personal experience and Air Transat review

I would recommend flying with Air Transat.

As far as budget airlines go, they’re not so bad. They offer several free perks that competitors don’t, and their customer service is very responsive. 

They have multiple ways to contact customer service, from live chat to a phone line. 

During my delay, I reached out to them on Twitter and they answered within 2 minutes. 

When I filed my claim for compensation, they got back to me within a week. I expected to have to hassle them for what I was entitled to under E.U. law, but they didn’t give me grief or take steps to delay or avoid paying. 

They admitted their mistake, cut the check and moved on. That’s the kind of company I want to deal with. 

At the time of the delay, there could’ve been more accurate information related to the passengers. It seemed like we kept getting excuses as to what was keeping us from taking off, none of which were consistent.

At one point they blamed a lack of cutlery on board. 

Meanwhile, I was getting grief from friends saying that’s why I should never fly budget, and that traditional carriers would have available replacement planes to send versus having to wait a day for one specific plane to be fixed. And maybe that’s true.

But I’ve experienced delays with Delta, American and United and not once has anyone ever offered me meal vouchers or a hotel room. 

At best they’ve brought out the economy snacks and offered a mini bottle of water and a bag of Cheese-its. 

Air Transat provided me with lunch, dinner, breakfast and lunch again during the delay.

Nothing fancy, just 10 or 20 Euro to spend at the airport. Unfortunately, it was the only one I’ve ever been to with no full bar, just beer and wine. Made the wait for the flight much longer…

They also made arrangements for me to stay overnight at a Holiday Inn, where I had A/C and the opportunity to shower. Airport transportation was provided free of charge. 

In a bad situation, Air Transat did what it could and at least made an effort to make me comfortable.

That’s more than I can say for many other airlines. I will also reiterate that I had no problems flying with them to London Gatwick, as I was arriving to Europe. 

Coupled with the free food and responsive customer service, it’s safe to say I’ll keep Air Transat on my list of go-to budget airlines. 

That’s my Air Transat review. Till next time, safe travels!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Falken said:

Taking them to Dublin in September for about $700 return so I hope Malcolms' report is accurate!😀

time will only tell

1 hour ago, Falken said:

Taking them to Dublin in September for about $700 return so I hope Malcolms' report is accurate!😀

On 2/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, Specs said:

I never thought of Transat as a budget Carrier.  Really?

Westjet certainly isn't one any more. When I look at fares anywhere they fly, they're usually with on par with (or more expensive than) Air Canada.

There is a reason that Air Transat is about the longest running Charter / Budget carrier in Canada.  The provide good service and keep their nose clean.  Rarely a complaint from family and friends that fly with them.  I personally never have

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Transat A.T. Inc. Reports Results for the First Quarter of Fiscal 2024 Français

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Transat A.T. Inc. 

Mar 14, 2024, 07:00 ET

Solid increase in traffic and further debt reduction

First-quarter highlights:

• Revenues of $785.5 million, up 17.7% from $667.5 million last year
  • Negative adjusted EBITDA1 of $8.6 million, compared to adjusted EBITDA1 of $3.3 million last year
  • Net loss of $61.0 million ($1.58 per share), versus $56.6 million ($1.49 per share) last year
  • Positive free cash flow1 of $39.1 million, compared to $144.2 million last year
  • Proceeds from the sale of an investment in Mexico applied to reduce secured facilities by $20.7 million
  • Record customer deposits for future travel of $1,026.9 million, up 14% from January 31, 2023

MONTREAL, March 14, 2024 /CNW/ - Transat A.T. Inc., a leisure travel reference worldwide, operating as an air carrier under the Air Transat brand, announced today its results for the First Quarter ended January 31, 2024.

"Transat's first-quarter results reflect sustained demand for leisure travel. Revenues grew 17.7% year-over-year, driven by a solid traffic increase. However, the persisting speculation of a strike by flight attendants starting last November clearly affected bookings and yield for the winter season, and we are pleased that the adoption of a new collective agreement in late February removed this uncertainty. As for the operating challenges related to the Pratt & Whitney GTF2 engine issue, costs incurred, including those related to the temporary leasing of additional aircraft, applied pressure on profitability. Finally, while demand remains sound, softer yields indicate heightened consumer price sensitivity in the current macro-economic environment as well as fierce price competition, especially in the Toronto market," said Annick Guérard, President and Chief Executive Officer of Transat.

"In recent months, several industry-wide supply chain challenges, including the Pratt & Whitney GTF engine issue, have resulted in higher costs and the need to make certain capacity modifications going forward. These adjustments should limit capacity expansion to 13% in fiscal 2024, still representing a healthy increase compared to 2023. Accordingly, we now expect an adjusted EBITDA1 margin for the full year 2024 to be at the lower end of the range announced last December. Finally, the refinancing plan remains the organization's top priority and discussions with stakeholders continue," added Jean-François Pruneau, Chief Financial Officer of Transat.

2Geared turbofan ("GTF").1

First-quarter Results

For the three-month period ended January 31, 2024, revenues reached $785.5 million, up 17.7% from $667.5 million in the corresponding period a year ago. The increase reflects sustained demand for leisure travel driven by a 20% increase in traffic expressed in revenue-passenger-miles (RPM). However, this increase was mitigated by persistent speculations throughout the quarter about a potential strike by the flight attendants. Company-wide capacity was up 25% from last year, while airline unit revenues (yield) was down 3.1%.  

Negative adjusted EBITDA1 stood at $8.6 million, compared with an adjusted EBITDA1 of $3.3 million a year ago. The variation is mainly due to higher operating expenses associated with capacity expansion, such as increases in the cost of providing tourism services, wages and benefits, and aircraft-related expenses, the latter also including, among other things, (i) costs related to the operating challenges caused by the Pratt & Whitney GTF engine issue and (ii) an unfavorable year-over-year aircraft maintenance calendar due to the low aircraft utilization during the pandemic. These factors were partially offset by lower fuel expenses reflecting a price decline of 18% compared to last year.

Cash flow and financial position

Cash flow from operating activities amounted to $110.7 million during the First Quarter of 2024, compared with $195.1 million for the same period last year, due to a less favorable net change in non-cash working capital balances and to a greater operating loss this year. After accounting for investing activities and repayment of lease liabilities, free cash flow1 reached $39.1 million during the quarter, versus $144.2 million a year earlier.

As at January 31, 2024, cash and cash equivalents amounted to $453.3 million, compared to $467.7 million at the same date in 2023 and $435.6 million as at October 31, 2023. Cash and cash equivalents in trust or otherwise reserved mainly resulting from travel package bookings improved year-over-year reaching $612.2 million as at January 31, 2024, compared with $523.8 million at the same date in 2023.

Reflecting sound demand, customer deposits for future travel stood at an all-time record level of $1,026.9 million as at January 31, 2024, up 14% from January 31, 2023.

During the quarter, the Corporation completed the previously announced sale of an investment in a hotel in Mexico and proceeds were applied to reduce secured facilities by $20.7 million. Following this repayment, long-term debt and deferred government grant, net of cash, amounted to $352.3 million as at January 31, 2024, down from $375.3 million a year ago and from $380.1 million as at October 31, 2023.

Outlook

Early trends for the summer season indicate bookings and pricing conditions that are largely in line with the same period last year. However, as the Corporation does not foresee the same uplift in yields that was exhibited throughout the summer season last year, it will remain proactive in managing costs under its control, while actively seeking to mitigate the structural cost increases affecting the industry.

Given the current operating environment, the Corporation revised its fiscal 2024 capacity expansion plans to 13%, versus 19% previously.

Reflecting the above, the Corporation now expects its adjusted EBITDA1 margin for the full year 2024 to be at the lower end of the range of 7.5% to 9.0% announced last December. In making these forward-looking statements, the Corporation used the following assumptions for the fiscal year: weak GDP growth in Canada, an exchange rate of C$1.34 to US$1 and an average price per gallon of jet fuel of C$4.00

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Air Transat flight dispatchers vote to strike. Will it affect flights?

Nate-profile-pic-e1689784700249.jpg?qual
By Nathaniel Dove  Global News
Posted April 30, 2024 10:45 am

Air Transat airline dispatchers have voted unanimously in favour of a strike mandate.70c8fc80

One hundred per cent of the airline’s members of the Canadian Airline Dispatchers Association (CALDA) voted to strike after negotiations with Air Transat failed, according to a release published Tuesday.

“Our intentions and goals were to always get a deal at the table,” CALDA national president Rob King wrote in an email to Global News.

“We remain committed to continue negotiations but Air Transat needs to understand our members are committed to a contract that reflects recent gains in our profession.”

In a statement to Global News, Transat said its operations and flight schedule are not threatened but that CALDA’s “current salary demands remain unreasonable.”

“Not only because of the financial context in which Transat finds itself,” according to Alex-Anne Carrier of Transat, “but especially considering that our flight dispatchers are already the best paid in the industry.”

Flight dispatchers prepare and maintain flight plans, authorize flights with the aircraft captain, and brief air crews, according to a Government of Canada website.

“No Air Transat aircraft can depart without the approval of the Flight Plan by the Flight Dispatcher,” CALDA’s press release states.

It also says the 28 Montreal-based dispatchers have been working without a contract since Oct. 31, 2022, and are “very disappointed at the progress of talks.” dog denied Air Transat flight

Carrier wrote that Transat presented an “unprecedented global — and final — offer” on April 25 that was retroactive to last October, but claimed union leadership did not present it to the members.

CALDA’s statement said the union delivered its strike vote to Air Transat on April 15.

“We remain committed to the process and are confident that we will come to an agreement quickly, as always,” Carrier said in a statement.

CALDA’s statement said the federal government took part in conciliation talks. A spokesperson for the Labour Minister, Seamus O’Regan, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.