My lucky Son

Kip Powick

He was booked on Delta to Amsterdam from SLC but when he arrived at the SLC airport he was told the flight was oversold....

Was offered $1500.00 USD and an upgrade to DELTA ONE, (VIP First Class), on tomorrows flight.

He took it...he was only going over a day early to a business meeting and was going to spend a day with friends  before the meeting the following day.

7 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

He was booked on Delta to Amsterdam from SLC but when he arrived at the SLC airport he was told the flight was oversold....

Was offered $1500.00 USD and an upgrade to DELTA ONE, (VIP First Class), on tomorrows flight.

He took it...he was only going over a day early to a business meeting and was going to spend a day with friends  before the meeting the following day.

So, he values a day with his friends at $1500 and a few glasses of wine.  I'd probably do the same thing but what he gave up was valuable too.  I'd call it a small win.

9 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Sounds like it worked out well. Especially the upgrade.

I’m curious how his initial ticket status put him in jeopardy in the first place or was there a general offer to anyone wishing to delay their travel? There does seem to be a method of selecting those ticket holders who are perhaps flying on points or discounted seat.

7 hours ago, seeker said:

So, he values a day with his friends at $1500 and a few glasses of wine.  I'd probably do the same thing but what he gave up was valuable too.  I'd call it a small win.

I didn't want to fill the post with extraneous information but based on your comment, I must....

He books his own flights and in the interest to keep Company expenses low, he goes Economy........He can change his itinerary to whatever he wants because he has a position where he is pretty much his own boss....Yes, he won't have the luxury to visit with friends before the meeting but he also said he will see them for maybe one, or if he wants, two days after the business meetings. He is getting $1500.00 credit on his AMEX card and if you look at DELTA ONE service, and seating, you will see that is just more than a couple of glasses of wine. I have never traveled in that type of class and I would say he is pretty lucky.....not a small win in my opinion.?

5 hours ago, blues deville said:

Sounds like it worked out well. Especially the upgrade.

I’m curious how his initial ticket status put him in jeopardy in the first place or was there a general offer to anyone wishing to delay their travel? There does seem to be a method of selecting those ticket holders who are perhaps flying on points or discounted seat.

He was booked, (paid), economy and apparently DELTA upped the anti to have folks give up their seats....I think we have to assume some folks have a strict schedule to meet and wanted on that flight....he had more flexibility...

I have seen a call for "volunteers" escalate from $200 - $800 in under 10 minutes on a domestic flight.  plus a hotel for the night and guaranteed on the first flight in the AM.  When they are desperate they are desperate.  Too bad i'm usually on company business so cannot partake or i certainly would.

Archived