Away Back Then....

Kip Powick

I love the artwork on all those WWII aircraft, particularly bombers and fighters. In today's PC and SJW world, such artwork would no doubt profoundly offend somebody and be judged inappropriate by some "independent" tribunal. I suspect a decision would come down from above dictating that you go fly your mission and die if necessary, but don't dare deface an aircraft with such offensive artwork. 

That 'decision' did occur during WW2.

As I recall, someone took offence to the scantily clad female likenesses adorning US bomber aircraft. A political committee was struck back in the US and an order to remove and ban that form of artwork was issued.

7 hours ago, DEFCON said:

As I recall, someone took offence to the scantily clad female likenesses adorning US bomber aircraft. A political committee was struck back in the US and an order to remove and ban that form of artwork was issued.

There's a lot of WWII nose art available for viewing that suggests not much was banned let alone removed and so in terms of restrictions imposed during WWII I'm curious as to the "political committee" and the decision issued to which you refer.  Are you able to provide further guidance? The only info on restrictions that I've been able to locate happened decades later:  From one web site that I viewed: "If we are to compare side by side the 80’s with Vietnam or WW II then the general consensus among most people would be that there is more freedom than what was enjoyed in the Vietnam era but less than what was allowed during the Great War. In the wake of the infamous “Time” story on the fifth of December 1988 “Bimbos for Bombers”, nose art earned public ire so much that it invited the criticism of the National Organization for Women and the National Women’s History Project."

I watch a lot of WW 2 documentaries that are posted on Youtube. I wish I could reference the actual video link, but all I have is a memory / guess that the video likely featured the B 24 Liberator.

15 hours ago, DEFCON said:

From what I have read...nose art was prominent through to the end of the Vietnam war....Perhaps you are thinking of this .................

The British MoD banned the use of pin-up women in nose art on Royal Air Force aircraft in 2007, as commanders decided the images (many containing naked women), were inappropriate and potentially offensive to female personnel, although there were no documented complaints.

In 1993 the United States Air Force Air Mobility Command ordered that all nose art should be gender-neutral.

Always strikes me as odd to take a bunch of young men, place them a situation where they are literally fighting for their lives and the lives of the citizens back home and then berate them for having a picture of a pretty girl on their aircraft.  Kind of like how we allow video depictions of violence and murder on TV but, collectively, lose our minds over a bare bottom or exposed breast.  Seems like the priorities are wrong.

Archived