Danger for FA's...a Suggested Solution

Kip Powick

There was a recent incident on an Emirates B777 where a FA fell from the rear door. There are conflicting reports as to whether she survived in hospital or succumbed to her injuries in hospital.

Years ago, while waiting at YYR, one of our FA's asked to open a rear door because it was very hot in the aircraft and our AC was not putting out 100%  and there was a strong wind which would help ventilate the aircraft.

As you can imagine, the wind caught the door and if there had not been a male FA standing beside her, who grabbed her arm, she would have fallen out of the aircraft. One only has to scan the INet to see that have been quite a few of these incidents.

Why not make it mandatory that if a FA is asked to, or seeks permission to open a rear door, they must don what we called in DND as a "monkey- harness", (no disrespect intended), which was worn by our Loadmasters, or any crew member, if the ramp was down while in flight with the C-130. It is a lightweight web based harness that is easy to slip on and a short tether is attached to a "D" ring on-board the aircraft. If one inadvertently goes out the door, they only fall about 2-3 feet and can be hauled back in by the tether....

If it only saved one FA from serious injury or death, would it not be worth it.????

It has been acted upon at AC for a while now... cabin doors and compartments shall not be opened unless an approved barrier (which is not carried onboard my a/c) is in place (the aircraft safety strap does not comply) and the door is monitored. There is a caveat for exceptional circumstances, but the days of leaving the doors open during hot weather are over.

I thought that the new change re:doors closed was a little extreme (guess I’m old school and opening a door seemed to be the obvious solution on a hot day) but if it eliminates a potential workplace hazard, all the better.

Ever since WestJet had one of our F/As fall from an aircraft in the early 2000s while trying to close the L1 door in windy cold and slippery conditions we have enacted a policy that no door can be opened or closed without either a gate, stairs, ramp or service truck platform outside the door and positioned to prevent a fall.  

If memory serves the stairs were removed before the door was closed in YTH and the unfortunate F/A lost her footing when a wind gust caught the door and she was ejected onto the ramp below sustaining serious injuries.

I have seen some airlines with a cargo net type of mesh strung across the door opening and while this may prevent someone from falling out of the opening unless the door is powered/electrically operated someone still has to remove it to physically close the door.  The B737NG and MAX have the same doors as the T-Rex, hopefully the 777 is different. 

Indeed there are too many examples of accidents like this. TS had one (I’m thinking it was at Manchester) several years ago where the ground staff removed the air stair from under an open door without informing the crew. An unfortunate FA stepped outside for some fresh air and fell, sustaining serious injuries. 

Archived