This is a Minimum Wage gig?

J.O.

1 hour ago, vanishing point said:

THOR Alert not observed in Florida?

I have heard that THOR-GUARD which predicts that a lightning strike will take place has been replaced in a lot of places by a system that shows on a map where the last strike took place.  I am of the opinion that I do not need a system that just shows me history.

The red alert is activated if there is a strike within 5 miles of the airfield.  you cannot predict a lightening strike but you can mitigate the risk.

Many moons ago at AC some co workers sought shelter from the rain under the wing of a DC-8.  The Aircraft was not grounded as it should have been and was struck by lightening.  All 5 of them took a hit and had to be treated.  The comment from one of them was that it felt like someone hit him accross the chest with a 2x4.

Don't challenge Mother nature.  she always wins.

yes by looking at strike activity (and history) in the vicinity just as the current system does.

Thor-guard was not a reliable system and often the system activated AFTER a strike on the airfield had occurred.

My understanding is that thor guard does not take account of the actual strikes in the area but of the conductivity of the air under the appropriate conditions for lightening, and once a preset threshold is reached, an alarm is triggered. I have been on the ramp when there are no visible strikes, nor audible thunder, and thor goes off.

Pretty close YWGAME
It measures the difference between the electrical state in the air and in the ground.  It counts the differences between the two while at the same time discounting some every few moments.  When the pulses start accumulating faster than they accumulate and it passes a set threshold the alarm goes off.

The difference a THOR GUARD brings is that we constanly monitor your local environment and focus on predicting whether or not there is enough energy change to create a lightning strike on your property. 

http://www.thorguard.com/ourtech/prevsdet.shtml

Archived