Circular Runways

deicer

The only time you would have a headwind, (good), would be on touchdown from then on you have a crosswind plus trying to control an aircraft on a banked runway with a crosswind !!!!

Think it is hard to do a CAT 2 or CAT3 approach now/....try it on this goofballs runway ...

Sure would be fun when it rains or snows  :lol:.

This idea is not new, it was put forth many years ago and shot down then,  as well .....

Yes..."folly":lol:

Love the Dutch people and their country. The way they recover land from the sea, use of space, organized, Heineken, etc. 

But this is the dumbest idea. US airports would have to be counterclockwise (NASCAR, left turns) and European would be both clockwise and counter clockwise following F1. 

Daytona International Speedway. 33 degrees

IMG_2413.JPG

Although it's the length of three (or four) regular runways, the "runways" would all overlap as the threshold for each might be different depending on the wind or desired take-off or landing point.  Also, the bank angle being a function of speed, different "centerlines" with varying bank angles would need to be used further confusing the operation.

To me, it's impractical to the point of being just silly.

I've been around the track at Loews motor speedway (Talladaga Nights)(24 degrees of bank) at 110MPH.  You get compressed into the seat at 1.3-1.4Gs, meaning a plane doing 220MPH may be pulling close to two, similar to NASCAR.  This would double the takeoff weight of the airplane and exceed most limits the book has.

What an entirely stupid idea.  I hope this dreamer did this Thinktank quality garbage on his own dime.

Archived