OT........End of Year Quandries

Kip Powick

In Ottawa...

Looks like this year will end and next year will start with the Feds, Provincial, and Municipal governments throwing more money down that  ever-expanding sink-hole..

When does this constant "it was ours" end??

In Vancouver.......

It would appear that the citizens of that city and I imagine their Municipal, Provincial, and now the Federal governments, (which includes all of Canada's tax-payers), will be attempting to curb a problem that actually creates its own solution...................death through extreme stupidity.

Whose responsibility is it to coddle those that really don't care about life? 

6 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

to curb a problem that actually creates its own solution...................death through extreme stupidity.

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

39 minutes ago, Don Hudson said:

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

Don, I know you don't agree with your quote but..... If adults want to harm themselves with no harm to others, I say let them do it!.  
Are they not "Adults"??????  We should move any money for prevention away from them and instead aim it to juveniles.  Drug dealers should only face one punishment (sadly capital punishment is not allowed in Canada). 
!

Malcolm, I was giving the original poster a poke in chest in response to the quoted statement which was saying, "...let them die in the streets". They do that in Aleppo and other such uncivilzed, dangerous places, not here.

As for the rest of it, we've been along this avenue a number of times now. I have friends and even family who have done this work on the downtown east side of Vancouver, and the solutions are not as straightforward as most tend to dream about.

19 minutes ago, Don Hudson said:

Malcolm, I was giving the original poster a poke in chest in response to the quoted statement which was saying, "...let them die in the streets". They do that in Aleppo and other such uncivilzed, dangerous places, not here.

As for the rest of it, we've been along this avenue a number of times now. I have friends and even family who have done this work on the downtown east side of Vancouver, and the solutions are not as straightforward as most tend to dream about.

I saw first hand as a police volunteer the impact but I continue to believe , let adults do and suffer what they reap as long as their choice does not harm Innocents.  If adults want to go "to hell in an hand basket" there is nothing we can to to change their choice.

You can't just give up on people, toss them away and let them die in the streets no matter how they got there. Tough love? Or just tough? Libertarians like Rand Paul would do just that - he said so in one of the debates.

They're somebody's parent, child, uncle, aunt, boss, employee - very few started off life aiming for "what they reap".

How many here actually think they're beyond such a life and would never end up on the streets?

As I say, we've been down this avenue.

Cheers,

12 minutes ago, Don Hudson said:

You can't just give up on people, toss them away and let them die in the streets no matter how they got there. Tough love? Or just tough? Libertarians like Rand Paul would do just that - he said so in one of the debates.

They're somebody's parent, child, uncle, aunt, boss, employee - very few started off life aiming for "what they reap".

How many here actually think they're beyond such a life and would never end up on the streets?

As I say, we've been down this avenue.

Cheers,

Sorry Don I can indeed give them up.  

There is no CRISIS

The numbers talked about do not justify getting in all of a flurry to deal with the few people that are killing themselves.

What is the ulterior motive of the politicians who are promoting this as a crisis.

Do you remember when the put in the "safe injection site" in Vancouver those many years ago, it was but one pillar of a four pillar system to "cure" the drug problem. The other three pillars disappeared or never were instituted to  begin with and we are now left with the mess to try to deal with again. Instead of "safe consumption sites" how about mandatory 6 month rehab treatment. Why are we enabling people to continue to commit suicide. Would you enable someone to play Russian roulette, give them a safe place to spin the cylinder and encourage them to do the same thing over and over?

Bring them back from dead once with narcan and then put them in rehab, next time leave the narcan at home.

Archived