Off Duty Airman Assists United Flight Crew

I'm surprised that the TSA hasn't blown a gasket over it. :glare:

Did the First Officer expose this flight to a possible security risk by paging for a qualified pilot? Was it necessary or could have any crew member taken the Captain's seat and provided support? The US airman did not touch the flight controls and stated he did 80% of the radio work. I am certain UA has pilot incapacitation training for their flight crews.

Interesting situation.

I imagine the PA (if made) would have been to request assistance from an off-duty UAL pilot on board. The first officer probably did a quick risk assessment and decided that having the help of an Air Force pilot was a better option than going it alone (which I would fully support if true). It's just that the security folks down south are famous for making mountains out of mole hills.

How so? Wouldn't every person on the aircraft have gone through security screening prior to boarding? If any government agency considered requesting assistance a security risk, they'd be publicly admitting that security screening isn't effective. That might be tough to explain.

True I suppose but not a clearance to be in the flight deck. I guess dh'ing crew don't always identify themselves to the operating flight crew and as JO stated the FO was probably looking for an off duty UAL pilot.

Usually any crew members should be identified on the cabin crew's paperwork. If they are DH'ers it will show, and if traveling non-rev on a pass, it would also be easy to identify.

At my company, we are trained to handle the incapacitation situation 'single pilot'.

Perhaps under extenuating circumstances (aircraft malfunction, I'm also not feeling 100%, Wx very poor etc.), I would be willing to ask for help like this crew did. Aside from that, I would be more concerned about finding medical help on board for my partner, than a guy to work the radios.

That said, it's hard to critique a situation that obviously ended well, so I'd also have to say 'good job'.

Usually any crew members should be identified on the cabin crew's paperwork. If they are DH'ers it will show, and if traveling non-rev on a pass, it would also be easy to identify.

At my company, we are trained to handle the incapacitation situation 'single pilot'.

Perhaps under extenuating circumstances (aircraft malfunction, I'm also not feeling 100%, Wx very poor etc.), I would be willing to ask for help like this crew did. Aside from that, I would be more concerned about finding medical help on board for my partner, than a guy to work the radios.

That said, it's hard to critique a situation that obviously ended well, so I'd also have to say 'good job'.

Agreed. The FO did a great job in a stressful situation.

Rich - mistrust and suspicion is a mentality so easily engendered by a few well-chosen words by propagandists that it worked extremely well in Nazi Germany among other nations involved in WWII. The rewards for "turning in traitors" were recognition by the Fuhrer, (not personally of course, unless it served Goebbels' purposes). In the late 30's Goebbels was a student of Ed Bernays' teachings on how to manipulate the popular mind. He admired the American government's capacity to get people to think and do what it wanted without ever firing a shot, (except later at Kent State and in the South when they thought they were 'losing control of the masses'...).

Though I don't wish to divert the thread, I posted an article by Chomsky on another thread which certainly applies here - in fact "security" in our business has indeed turned us into seeing devils on the wall at every turn. It requires significant intellectual discipline to separate the irrational and stupid from real threats. We're quite ill-equipped to do so as the patterns which "broadcast threats" are not available / visible to us. But given indoctrination since 2001 under Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz we now subconsciously think twice about inviting a colleague into the cockpit to assist. And we have millions who actually believe that the NSA is keeping us safe.

"THE CONSCIOUS AND INTELLIGENT MANIPULATION OF THE ORGANIZED HABITS AND OPINIONS OF THE MASSES IS AN IMPORTANT ELEMENT IN DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY. WE ARE GOVERNED, OUR MINDS ARE MOLDED, OUR TASTES FORMED, OUR IDEAS SUGGESTED, LARGELY BY MEN WE HAVE NEVER HEARD OF. ... IT IS THEY WHO PULL THE WIRES WHICH CONTROL THE PUBLIC MIND."
(Edward Bernays, Propaganda 1928.)

How successful a propaganda program is that?

Archived