In A Flash...more Paper Work For Pilot

Kip Powick

YIKES!!! I was NOT prepared for that instant result, but I have to admit I saw it coming too.... - maybe they couldn't disconnect that cable, and thought that the best choice they had? It sure looked like they got away with it... pretty much?

Actually if you look closely you can see what truly caused the accident. At around the 1:45 minute mark you can see a guy who is standing directly underneath the helicopter jumps up and grabs the cable pulling it taut. It goes from a nice safe U shape to a V shape and enters the rotor disc. It may have happened anyway as the helicopter descended but pulling the cable definitely caused the cable to enter the disc.

First photo shows slack cable, second shows taut cable, third shows the guy who did it (on far right side of frame). It's easy to keep track of who goes where since every person on scene has a different combination of vest and helmet colour (or no vest or helmet).

Just got a reply from Murray Job. He was the videographer and can be seen in the video with the white helmet and jeans. He pointed out that there is a link to a CAA report in the description of the video. Don't know why I didn't think to click the "show more" button. Anyway, click the "show more" button for an expanded description of what happened and a link to the report.

I was right about the cause, Mitch was right about the fact that the line didn't release from the hook and the ground rigger was attempting to free it and Fido was right that the videographer really was running because he saw the threat of the cable being too close to the rotor!

Here are a few sections from the report:

Factual Information

The helicopter operator was engaged by the rigging contractor for the purpose of erecting the tower for the Auckland Christmas tree located at Auckland’s Viaduct Harbour.

The plan was for two lifts to be conducted. The first lift was to raise the tower from the horizontal into the vertical position using an SK75 Spectra lifting line, the tower pivoting on two pins in the base. Then, once in the vertical position, two more pins were to be inserted into the base corners and three temporary cable stays would be applied to hold the tower in place. The lifting line would then be released from the helicopter’s hook. The second lift would follow to position the ‘star’ ornament onto the top of the tower.
The first lift proceeded well, until it came time to release the lifting line from the helicopter’s hook. The pilot then descended the helicopter toward the ground. The pilot was in radio communication with the rigging supervisor who was standing underneath the helicopter and his spotter.

When the helicopter hovered at approximately five metres above the ground, the rigging supervisor was seen to jump up and grab the lifting line which was sagging below the helicopter.

The act of pulling downwards on the lifting line to release it from the helicopter’s hook instantly tightened the lifting line, which was still attached to the top of the adjacent tower, and the lifting line came into contact with the main rotor blades. The force of the impact of the main rotor blades on the lifting line caused massive out of balance forces within the helicopter’s rotating components, which resulted in the loss of the structural integrity of the helicopter whilst in flight. The helicopter then fell to the ground. All parties managed to escape without injury.

Contributing Factors

The safety investigation revealed that the SK75 Spectra lifting line did not release normally from the helicopter’s hook when commanded, after the tower lift. This was primarily due to the attachment of the lifting line fixed loop directly to the hook, instead of using a shackle and chain arrangement between the lifting line and the hook.

While a separate CAA Health and Safety investigation was conducted, there were no additional contributory factors found during the CAA Flight Safety Investigation into the areas highlighted within the preliminary report other than those stated above under Contributing Factors.

Thanks for that Seeker... I've obviously never been in the position, and it's easy to say from the comfort of my chair... but I can't help but think a helo pilot would want to be very sure he has a functioning release ability for anything attached to his machine.

Complacency can creep in all over the place, eh?

Yes, and all for the sake of a shackle and short length of chain....

For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Archived