Insert "canadian" Every Time You Hear "american" - Neat

Kip Powick

Funny how the presenter points out that economists were wrong in the past, but then quotes economists for his 5% solution.

Protectionism is not the answer, whether it is legislated or crowd-sourced, IMO. The reason why US and Canadian production jobs went overseas is because unskilled factory workers here make $40-$50 per hour plus benefits and, many didn't/don't care about the quality of their work. In addition, manufacturers couldn't put up with constant industrial action either from their own workers or from their suppliers.

MIght not be a popular position, but it is the unfortunate truth.

The current migration of jobs is simply an employment flu caused by an imbalance of compensation that has to run its course. It will eventually rebalance as overseas workers demand better working conditions and wages and domestic workers accept that making $100,000 a year as an unskilled labourer, and worth shutting down their employer for, is unrealistic. But artificially masking the symptoms by creating a "Buy [insert your country here]" movement won't fix the problem.

If everyone in North America spends more money on all of the physical stuff that they buy, it means that they won't have as much money for travel, and guess who that affects? And if we don't buy stuff from overseas, there isn't as many people traveling there for business or as many people there with enough money to travel to places like the US and Canada, or to Australia, so there will be the indirect effect of fewer Australians with the money to come skiing in Canada. Protectionism will cost jobs in the travel and tourism industries and that affects everyone on this board.

Where does the regionalistic barrier end? Should I buy only products made in Canada, or under NAFTA? or only those made in Ontario? Should I only buy from Oakville retailers, or just from those in Halton? Or maybe just from those in the GTA? or maybe just from caucasian countries? (These are just rhetorical questions, Kip, not pointed at you). What would happen to the economies of towns surrounding Toronto if Rob Ford convinced all Torontonians to just buy goods and services from Toronto suppliers? How much business air travel would there be if people only bought stuff from businesses that they could drive to?

The sooner everyone accepts the notion of a global economy, the fewer trade wars (and real wars :biggrin1: ) there will be and the sooner the quality of life across the planet will improve. The Pacific Rim countries have an awful lot of US, Canadian and European currency right now. Getting into a trade war with them before they get a chance to spend it wouldn't be a good idea.

And globalism is GREAT for the airline business!

Protectionism is not the answer, whether it is legislated or crowd-sourced, IMO. The reason why US and Canadian production jobs went overseas is because unskilled factory workers here make $40-$50 per hour plus benefits and, many didn't/don't care about the quality of their work. In addition, manufacturers couldn't put up with constant industrial action either from their own workers or from their suppliers.

MIght not be a popular position, but it is the unfortunate truth.

The current migration of jobs is simply an employment flu caused by an imbalance of compensation that has to run its course. It will eventually rebalance as overseas workers demand better working conditions and wages and domestic workers accept that making $100,000 a year as an unskilled labourer, and worth shutting down their employer for, is unrealistic.

$40-$50 per hour & $100k per year inchman...who? Pretty rare I would say & hardly indicative of what the average North American factory wage rates actually are.

2012 figures.http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/0308factoryworkers.gif

post-14673-0-00573800-1388278580_thumb.g

$40-$50 per hour & $100k per year inchman...who? Pretty rare I would say & hardly indicative of what the average North American factory wage rates actually are.

2012 figures. http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/0308factoryworkers.gif

Probably exaggerated a bit, but Ford Motor Canada just signed a contract in Sept where workers make $34 after 6 years of service. Add in OHIP and WSIB costs and the total cost per hour to Ford would be very close to $40 plus benefits and that's what we're talking about here... cost to the employer. So my numbers aren't that far off... I misspoke in referring to the worker "making" $100,000, but the cost to the employer is not that far from it.

New hire rates just fell from $24 to $20, with 10 years of progression to top wage and a hybrid pension plan introduced for new hires so the rebalancing is starting, but the top wage is still there with benefits on top of that, and if guys do overtime, that would be at $51 per hour at time and a half, and I'm sure some guys do do enough overtime to make $100 G.

The US is certainly not as unionized or socialized as Canada, so it would be expected that their cost per hour would be less than that up here, which is also part of our problem.

Thank God the Canadian dollar is falling.

Well that's weird, when I look at it in my Mac text viewer I can see all the salaries but when I open it in Word all the numbers are missing. Hold on, I'll work on it.

Found something even better than the chart I had posted earlier...

follow this link if you dare:

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/pssd/

Archived