New Rumour...

conehead

Guest rozar s'macco

Since the initial rumour is now boring us, I've heard relief pilots on the 767 at AC have gotten left seat at Rouge. Any truth to that?

It's possible. I think right now the most junior captain at rouge was hired in 2008.

Guest rozar s'macco

That metric is meaningless, in light of the changes this business has seen in the past 30 yrs. Kids that were working the ramp when I was a captain in the regional world are now skippers at Sunwing. And a flight school chum is a B777 skipper (35 yrs old) overseas. So yeah, not bad but...

None of all the individual pilot unions have any real political respect, credibility, or clout as stand alone entities such as the once powerful CALPA and now seriously screwed up ALPA once enjoyed. Any attempt at group thinking etc. that's undertaken continues to prove to be an ongoing celebration of our egotistical differences. The net result; there's been no forward progress and in fact, the fairly recent and flourishing cadet programs can only be seen as another lowering of the once difficult to obtain standards bar. That bar started to fall with the introduction of open skies, an industry driven initiative, sold to and bought by pilots that were driven by MBA presentations which caused them to be overwhelmed with thoughts of personal grandeur. Reality has demonstrated something different than we might otherwise have hoped for.

Short answer- I'm upgrading to captain on the 319.

Longer answer- with the mainline 320 fleet shrinking and much of the productive flying being transferred to rouge, it appears that even though I would be technically progressing up the seniority list, over time my flying and schedule would get worse if I stayed put. As well, the mainline monthly min hours guarantee is quite a bit lower than rouge, so with hours waning, pay would also decrease. My other choice was EMJ CA, but that's shrinking too, or B767FO, same.

So, am I happy that rouge pays 30% less than mainline for the same job? No, but we play the hand we're dealt. I get a raise from my present job, work fewer days, and have a chance at summer/Xmas/other holidays which at mainline are taken by the top 10% only.

I plan to stay for 3 yrs. If it's terrible or if some other development compels it, I'll come back sooner. If it's great I'll stay longer.

Cheers

Interesting analysis of the AC NB fleet and career options. Thanks for posting.

Did your analysis consider anything comming out of the potential NB order for 100 airframes that could be released in the next 90 days?

That metric is meaningless, in light of the changes this business has seen in the past 30 yrs. Kids that were working the ramp when I was a captain in the regional world are now skippers at Sunwing. And a flight school chum is a B777 skipper (35 yrs old) overseas. So yeah, not bad but...

My comment was a positive one. :)

If you travel outside of this country and see what age groups are occupying the left and right seat of international majors, not much has changed. For most, it's still a long rode to a left seat in a large aircraft. Especially with all the recent legacy mergers.

We all know boy wonders who have been at the right place at the right time and advanced ahead of the pack. They are the exception.

I'm not sure if I'd use Sunwing as an example of the upgrade status of airlines.

Guest rozar s'macco

blues- Haha, yes. You are absolutely right, it is good. You are correct.

better4me- yes, but not really. I also considered the B787FO and B777FO but the question becomes how long was I willing to wait (I am not senior enough to hold those yet, but likely will be within 2 yrs), bearing in mind my present job of 320FO was likely to see worsening conditions in the meantime. Regarding the narrowbody order- I bid rouge at the start of this year, 10 months ago, and the NB announcement is still 6 weeks away with deliveries beginning...who knows. That counts as distant future.

Rouge was the best option for me to bide my time for a few years, get a raise, get some jet PIC time, and wait for the B787 deliveries, additional B777 rumours, NB fleet plan,

and possibly even the results of 2016 negots to reveal themselves.

Since the initial rumour is now boring us, I've heard relief pilots on the 767 at AC have gotten left seat at Rouge. Any truth to that?

Nope. Although some might be able to.

Minor correction... on the last bid, there was one RP who moved to LCC 319 Capt from the 330 RP position. He had more years of service and seniority than some EMJ Capts who also got the position.

Not 767, but RP.

Archived