Tragedy At Newtown Never Happened

Kip Powick

We can all find data that supports our point of view.

Suggest you do exactly that then: support your premise with more than just your infallible belief in your own belief.

...suggest that the gun problem in Great Britain ever was anywhere near the problem it is in the US...

No such suggestion was made. Your claim that it takes a long time (while failing to define what a long time is) for gun control measures or laws to take effect is contradicted by both recent Aussie & GB examples. Your attempt to link the magnitude of the issue in the US with that of GB is both a specious and fallacious attempt to deflect from your inability to defend your position with any sort of empirical evidence.

...without belittling the other posters...

My questions were very specific, and you might care to note that neither Dave nor yourself bothered to address any of them. If you think that's belittling, your touchy-feely sensitivities wouldn't last long around here.

Some debates on line just are not worth wading in to as the internet has made so much information available that almost any arguement can be supported.

In the original thread on these shootings I boiled it down to simple math, fewer guns = fewer gun deaths.

Interesting stories here. Why could the gun lobby possibly want to not have gun deaths studied? Is it because they rake in so much cash from losers who get their self esteem from owning an assault weapon.

It is pretty hard to get a data set when one side does everything it can to kill any studies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/opinion/sunday/what-we-dont-know-is-killing-us.html?hp&_r=0

http://www.demandaplan.org/detail/2013-01-access-denied-how-the-gun-lobby-is-depriving-police

Three individuals go out and buy guns. Two are good guys, one is not.

The two good guys later decide they really don't want to possess guns and willing turn them in.

The remaining bad guy see's opportunity. He keeps his weapon and becuase the other two have something he wants, he shoots them and takes their property.

The statistics produced now clearly demonstrate that a giant reduction in the number of guns available actually produced an equally large increase in gun related violence.

As someone above claimed; stats can be made to say anything. Now if the anti crowd really was serious about making the world a better place, they'd be seeking reform and taking steps to get the mentally deficient under control and the criminally motivated out of the public arena rather than pursuing an agenda that's akin to pounding useless round pegs into square holes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

I think (emphasize "think") that Sustainable is alluding to the conspiracy theorists and the tendency of some (see Defcon's post) to see worms under rocks yet unmoved.

This thread referenced the suggestion by a very few, including the FAU professor, that there was more to the Newtown tragedy than the despicable conduct of a deranged individual.

The Wikipedia link provided by Sustainable leads to a description of a decorated US General who was supposedly co-opted by "conspiracy theorists".

And so--I think that the post though unclear was not an intended diversion.

But---I may be wrong.

Archived