Ot - Can You Spell Cronyism?

J.O.

No it's not the same thing but I don't understand why a convicted felon who gave his home country the :097: :icon_butt: salute is welcomed back before he's even been released from prison.

No it's not the same thing but I don't understand why a convicted felon who gave his home country the :097: :icon_butt: salute is welcomed back before he's even been released from prison.

You don't understand because you're not one of the ruling class (neither am I). :angry:

Please use these Guidelines for postings

Your post may be Edited or completely Deleted for the following reasons along with avatars that include images which could be considered excessively large in size, offensive, racist, or sexual in nature by one of our Administrators, continued violation of these guidelines by any member may result in the withdrawal of posting privileges from that member without regard to the status of their membership.

Any post that:

* defames

* abuses

* harasses

* stalks

* threatens

* uses profanity

* obscene

* indecent

* publishes the identity or suspected identity of an anonymous user of this forum

* name calling such as idiot, stupid, etc.

* personal attacks, intimidating and bullying as deemed by the moderators

* posting and/or promoting conflicting websites or organizations to theairlinewebsite.com

* discussions about religion, race and politics in extreme

* unauthorized advertising or spamming as deemed by the moderators

I'm not opposed to people being allowed to re-enter society when they've done their time. It's the double standard that gets my goat. If he was an "average" Canadian who had given up his citizenship, I very much doubt he'd already have been given a pass back in before he's even released from prison.

I'm a little confused by the discussion.

Surrendering one's citizenship does not result in a person becoming "persona non grata". Such an individual becomes nothing less than a "visitor" with the right to request residency status.

However, a non-resident visitor with a criminal record for the equivalent of an indictable offence is presumptively excluded from Canada.

Hence, the "issue". Such an individual may apply for a temporary permit. Such permits are frequently granted where the applicant does not pose a continuing threat.

Black applied whilst incarcerated. That is unusual.

Granting of the permit----meh! No big deal though no doubt----his "access" to the decision-making process was greater than would be available to every "Dick and Tom" but is that news? Why do mega law firms hire former Prime Ministers or retired Supreme Court Judges?

It's all about "offering" access, isn't it?

You pay the freight---you too can enjoy "access".

No big deal though no doubt----his "access" to the decision-making process was greater than would be available to every "Dick and Tom" but is that news? Why do mega law firms hire former Prime Ministers or retired Supreme Court Judges?

It's all about "offering" access, isn't it?

You pay the freight---you too can enjoy "access".

AKA - cronyism. Justice is the same for everyone - if you have the cash. Meh is right. :glare:

Don't forget that it was Jean Chretien who as prime minister would not allow Black to accept his peerage as a Canadian citizen. He could of but Chretien was not a fan of Black and then it turned into a pi###ing contest between two egos. Black was born in Canada and hence is still a Canadian citizen. The info stated here was talked about in depth on the local talk show radio (CFRA). The problem living in Ottawa is that politics reigns supreme, no matter at what level in the Nation's capital. Almost time to go to the cottage in Cape Breton where you won't hear a thing about any of this stuff!!!!!!!

Upon the advice of British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Queen Elizabeth II conferred in 2001 the dignity of a life peerage to Black with the name, style and title of Baron Black of Crossharbour, of Crossharbour in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, gave the conflicting advice that a Canadian citizen should not receive a titular honour, citing the 1919 Nickle Resolution. Black at the time held both Canadian and British citizenship. As a result of the dispute, Black renounced his Canadian citizenship in 2001, remaining a citizen of the UK. He has applied to have his Canadian citizenship returned to him, but as of June 2011 this has not been granted.

His citizenship has still not been granted. He's only been given a 1 year pass.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Conrad_Black

You are correct. He has to re-apply for his Canadian citizenship, however he is still considered a Canadian by birth. I had a 1052 tee off time and missed the rest of the discussion on the radio. Retirement has its priorities :biggrin1:

Archived