C-Reg Waiver?

I have seen two foreign registered 737's (France/Belgium) operated by CanJet at YYZ over the past winter. Can anyone explain how they are permitted to operate foreign registered aircraft in Canada?

Importing foreign aircraft for the short Canadian winter season is a complicated and costly process, but it was a requirement at both Canada 3000 and Skyservice.

It's my understanding that the regulations allow an operator to have up to 25% of their fleet under foreign registry. I'm not sure but I believe there are time limits on that, i.e. it may not be applicable for "full time" aircraft, only short term leases. However, one such operator has more that 25% of its 737 fleet on foreign register and I'd like to know how that happens. :Scratch-Head:

OK. I look at that and some of the comments "We dont need foreign pilots...etc."

So here I am running a small to medium sized carrier and I have an opportunity to serve a market but need a larger aircraft and crew. Completely different type and all. My window of opportunity is short. What are my options?

The only one that works is a short term WET LEASE to get the operation going and train new pilots and move passengers. Adopting a new fleet type is no small feat and sometimes the only way to work it is to use a wet lease until the new machines come online.

Then there is an incumben operator that suddenly has an increase in demand du to the failure of a competitor. Fast and easy Wet Lease gets the lift inplace until alternate arrangements can be made.

Since there is NO ONE in Canada in a position to Wet LEase aircraft to an operator, the only option is foreign.

From Experience you "Can" get a new fleet type and crews up and running in 6 months but it requires a dedicated team of people putting in very long hours to do it and pull it off. Not everyone could manage it and NO ONE could do it in less time.

You could say that. Jazz operates a fleet of aircraft and sell 100% of their seats to Air Canada. Air Canada Purchases Capacity from Jazz nothing more. Thomas Cook Was a similar venture with some differences.

But what I was getting at in my post was that for ANY carrier to take a 100% new fleet type and incorporate it into their Flight ops and maintenance system is a huge undertaking. There are several approvals that are needed from TC as well as aircraft familiarization to Canada which can take months alone. If you need to get going fast all you need is a OC and a wet lease contract.

Archived